The Student Room Group

issue with doctorate

I'm due to be completing my doctorate soon, as my masters has finally been sorted. Where some issues which ment they wouldn't give me it, until I had satisfied certain things, which I already had and they where being stupid, but went to panel and it all was sorted.

Was accepted on to the doctorate on the proviso that my masters all worked out and have done the research for it and about to present it all and do the practical side for it. However in my contract with the uni it mentions that when I get the masters they'll allow me to submit the reasearch, but they have said that because I did the research before my masters was finalised that I have to start from scrach. So slightly confused what to do?
Ask your tutor?
Reply 2
They where the one who told me that and making it difficult for me to ask anyone else.
Reply 3
Original post by clareramos
They where the one who told me that and making it difficult for me to ask anyone else.

Your tutor isn't actually the one who gets to decide about that, though, because that sounds like a faculty matter. Try talking to your DoS / course director / whatever the equivalent at your faculty is called. If they were able to admit you without the MA (which, based on what you've said seems to be what they did, even though they were probably expecting those problems to be resolved a lot sooner) then the year in which you finally received your MA shouldn't matter. If it was never a condition of your PhD offer, surely they can't retrospectively make it a condition?:confused:
Reply 4
Original post by hobnob
Your tutor isn't actually the one who gets to decide about that, though, because that sounds like a faculty matter. Try talking to your DoS / course director / whatever the equivalent at your faculty is called. If they were able to admit you without the MA (which, based on what you've said seems to be what they did, even though they were probably expecting those problems to be resolved a lot sooner) then the year in which you finally received your MA shouldn't matter. If it was never a condition of your PhD offer, surely they can't retrospectively make it a condition?:confused:

I was expecting it to go to the next panel, but they mucked me about a bit.

I was expecting it be resolved a lot sooner. I took last year out of work to do all the work for the PhD expecting that my MA would of been awarded this time last year. But due to the uni taking their time, it was only finally sorted now.

I was thinking that, as they'd be breaking the contract. Have spoken to the Dean tonight, who said he'd speak to staff involved, and if he can get it sorted before all my practical assesment he says I can present it when I go for that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Dean got back to me today, and he's checked over my contract with them and said that I can present the research I've already done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending