The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

What are the chances of getting a bunk room at the university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ysgwrn
Thats wrong! - see upthread to read what Aber themselves have said.

At the visit day we got told it would be different this year and the choice would be simply catered non catered single twin bunk and there wouldn't be an option to apply for a specific hall as in the past. This thread seems to confirm it.

Personally quite happy with the new system. If you look at the prices, bunking is mega cheap and with the residential bursary on top you could save a packet. (Still rather not have one but there will be a fair few who will want the option because of the price)

I'm not at ALL happy with it. A lot of people have set their heart on particular accommodation and now they don't even have a say in the matter where they are...
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 21
I know what the other offers are but what classes as a budget? I would love to stay in Rosser or Cwrt Mwr, what options would count as this cause from what I've read there's nothing that specifies en-suite. Also will the Uni know the size of your student loan because different rooms cost different prices?
Reply 22
Original post by Aberystwyth University

We only guarantee accommodation, you cannot specify what exact halls you would like. You will choose from budget, twin, catered or self catered. Bunk rooms are a possibility in 2012 and these rooms are spread out across many of the different halls of residences on campus and on the seafront.

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous what was wrong with having an order of preference? Also it would be nice for you to list the accommodation that falls under these categories.

And another thing. Why was this not mentioned in the recent applicant open days? Mine among 2 others I know of, was not aware of these changes and we're all quite worried about a system which by your description means we have less choice. Unless we pick an order of preference within these groups I honestly think this is a mistake.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ccx94
I know what the other offers are but what classes as a budget? I would love to stay in Rosser or Cwrt Mwr, what options would count as this cause from what I've read there's nothing that specifies en-suite. Also will the Uni know the size of your student loan because different rooms cost different prices?

This is in no way official but I would guess that budget is Brynderw.
I'm a current first year and for us everything was the same price except for ensuites which were more expensive and bunks/twins or Brynderw which were cheaper.
Might have changed this year though
We can certainly pass these comments on to the Accommodation Office.

It was felt that by students selecting an order of preference it gave the impression that they would receive their favourite hall (or top choice) where as in reality we can only guarantee a place in accommodation, not in a particular hall.

This system is in place so that students get some level of preference over whether they would prefer catered or self catered, budget or not budget, etc but avoids students getting their heart set on a particular room or residence. For example, if you choose self-catered you would be more likely to be placed in Rosser, Cwrt Mawr, The Seafront or Trefloyne and if you choose Catered you would be more likely to be placed in either Penbryn or Pantycelyn.

We will look into what the exact options on the form are, and be posting this out in time for when accommodation applications open in April.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
This system is in place so that students get some level of preference over whether they would prefer catered or self catered, budget or not budget, etc but avoids students getting their heart set on a particular room or residence. For example, if you choose self-catered you would be more likely to be placed in Rosser, Cwrt Mawr, The Seafront or Trefloyne and if you choose Catered you would be more likely to be placed in either Penbryn or Pantycelyn.

Can you explain how the old system worked? Like how many choices did we have in the old of order of preferance?
Reply 26
Surely en suite must come up as a separate preference as it's around £700 quid more expensive than standard self catering and I expect that though loads of people would love en suite there's even more that couldn't or wouldn't want to pay for the privilege. Come on Aber, get accommodation right this time!
The university continues to get it wrong on accomodation.
As well as the problem of en-suites and whether they want them, there's also the problem of living on campus or not. I specifically wanted to be close to lectures in my first year so I could get my bearings and work out where everything was. People aren't getting that choice anymore..
Reply 28
(As a comparison...) I stayed in an university dormitory for 2 nights last fall, when I almost went to the uni over here. They were 4 people "flats" that had twin rooms, a bathroom, toilet and a kichen. The whole box was about the size I make out the Aber kichens are (from the look of it in the videos). The whole box for 4 people! The kichen was like a corridore. They have two dormitories on campus, I applied for the other one and a single room, got a twin room in the first one. (To trash it some more, the main building my casses would have taken place, is in an isolated place half an hour walk from campus with, well, no public transport to. So try to get there with 15 minutes, I can't imagine how they do it.)
So coming from that I must say Aber seems wonderful. Also, I have stayed in dormitories when abroad, and both of them had 3-4 people rooms with common bathroom and toilets for the whole floor and one or no kichen for the whole dormitory.
So I would be happy when I just get a single room :smile:
Original post by Vitanova
Can you explain how the old system worked? Like how many choices did we have in the old of order of preferance?

I applied last year, I think there was around 14 but not sure. Some halls had 2 seperate options so there was loads (e.g ensuite alex and regular alex, single PJM and twin PJM)
Reply 30
Original post by JordE
Haha good luck.
I've just renewed my contract to stay in the same house. Hell of a lot easier than last year :biggrin: I don't think you'll have too much trouble looking if you don't get uni accommodation anyway dude.

I got a twin room in PJM. It was neither an automatic yes (single) or an automatic no (bunk)

I've accepted it and if I find something better then I will go for that. I would rather not share at all... :frown: But at least it will be cheap if I end up there.
Thank you all for your comments. We can assure you that at the general briefing for staff next week, we will raise all of your concerns and we are also arranging for something to go up on the website to make the information clearer.

However, we have had to find a way to manage expectations of new students in terms of halls of residences - the other system gave the impression that we guarantee a particular hall and caused people to get their heart set on only one hall. This year students will choose from the following options (prices and everything else will be provided very soon too)
Self catered
1- Single
2- Single en-suite
3- Single budget
4-Twin
5- Bunk

Catered sessional
6- Single
7- Twin
8- Bunk

Catered termly
9- Single
(Welsh medium)
10- Twin
11- Bunk

Students with deferred entry are guaranteed a single room, but they need to apply as soon as possible after the applications open on 1 April.

We will be putting some information on the website asap about what this means for students. And as always there will be the settling in period where you can choose to be on a transfer list, or find somebody to swap with!

For example this means that if your priority is a single room you put those first, if your priority is cost you choose budget, if you want cheap accommodation you choose shared (twin or bunk.) If you want a catered accommodation you choose that, etc, etc.

This is a NEW system. Once we know and are fully informed on the CONFIRMED ins-and-out we will of course let you all know.

Please be assured that as stated earlier, we will also take these points to the briefing.
Reply 32
What is a single budget?
Thank you all for your comments. We can assure you that at the general briefing for staff next week, we will raise all of your concerns and we are also arranging for something to go up on the website to make the information clearer.

However, we have had to find a way to manage expectations of new students in terms of halls of residences - the other system gave the impression that we guarantee a particular hall and caused people to get their heart set on only one hall. This year students will choose from the following options (prices and everything else will be provided very soon too)
Self catered
1- Single
2- Single en-suite
3- Single budget
4-Twin
5- Bunk

Catered sessional
6- Single
7- Twin
8- Bunk

Catered termly
9- Single
(Welsh medium)
10- Twin
11- Bunk

Students with deferred entry are guaranteed a single room, but they need to apply as soon as possible after the applications open on 1 April.

We will be putting some information on the website asap about what this means for students. And as always there will be the settling in period where you can choose to be on a transfer list, or find somebody to swap with!

For example this means that if your priority is a single room you put those first, if your priority is cost you choose budget, if you want cheap accommodation you choose shared (twin or bunk.) If you want a catered accommodation you choose that, etc, etc.

This is a NEW system. Once we know and are fully informed on the CONFIRMED ins-and-out we will of course let you all know.

Please be assured that as stated earlier, we will also take these points to the briefing.

Is it so that one cannot apply for rooms unless you have chosen your firm and insurance choices? I'm still waiting for three of the other universities I have applied to, so that I can be able to firm Aber. They are being really slow - I've been waiting for three months now.
What happens if one of the universities yet hasn't answered me by April 1st, and are international students guaranteed accommondation in halls even in the second year of entry?
Reply 34

b. Conditional Students Your application will be processed when you have responded to your AS12 Letter. You will receive the AS12 letter from UCAS. You will only receive the AS12 letter once you have met the terms of your offer (i.e. after you have your results)
[email protected]

Isn't results day in the middle of August? When the application process closes on the 1st of August!? I am so STRESSED and confused.

I firmed Aber as my choice not ever thinking I wouldn't be able to chose my accommodation. I really wish I didn't. The other unis I have visited have on-suites in all rooms and have enough rooms for all their students! Aber website is so misleading.

The thought of sharing a tiny bedroom with no space to study and personal space in general is so scary. If that's the case, I will not go....Moving so far from home is stressful enough with out all this hassle.

I was so excited to go to Aber, now i'm just dreading it and regretting my decision .:mad:
Reply 35
Destina93 - you can apply for your accommodation at the same time as the people with unconditional offers i.e. April 2012. However, your application won't be processed until results day and when you confirm your place at the university. The people with unconditional offers will have their applications confirmed straight away.

Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by Destina93
Isn't results day in the middle of August? When the application process closes on the 1st of August!? I am so STRESSED and confused.

I firmed Aber as my choice not ever thinking I wouldn't be able to chose my accommodation. I really wish I didn't. The other unis I have visited have on-suites in all rooms and have enough rooms for all their students! Aber website is so misleading.

The thought of sharing a tiny bedroom with no space to study and personal space in general is so scary. If that's the case, I will not go....Moving so far from home is stressful enough with out all this hassle.

I was so excited to go to Aber, now i'm just dreading it and regretting my decision .:mad:

I know how you feel. I don't know any other universities which do the accommodation process like this. Bunk rooms are not suited for university where students have to have their own personal space. Summer camp when you're 11 years old, sure, but not two adults sharing bunks! :mad:

I'm actually unconditional so my chances of getting a bunk room are slim but I still don't think it's right that the university is doing it like this.
Reply 37
The 'accommodation' page on thier website should have made this clear before people started applying. There is now information about bunk beds, but this has only been published recently and after I firmed Aber as my choice. When I firmed, I was under the impression that I could chose a luxurious en-suite or maybe a sea side view if I fancied it because that's how it was portrayed.

I feel completely mislead and disappointed. I have a conditional, so I will have to accept that if I continue to go, I will have to share. I will be paying a whopping £9000 a year in tuition fees but will find it hard to study and pass let alone concentrate because of disruption to sleep due to sharing.

The rooms are not suitable to share. They are furnished for one person. It's shocking and if it wasn't for this forum, then I wouldn't even know about it. I'm travelling from Plymouth tomorrow to view Aberystwyth and really hope there is someone to talk to about this.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Destina93
The 'accommodation' page on thier website should have made this clear before people started applying. There is now information about bunk beds, but this has only been published recently and after I firmed Aber as my choice. When I firmed, I was under the impression that I could chose a luxurious en-suite or maybe a sea side view if I fancied it because that's how it was portrayed.

I feel completely mislead and disappointed. I have a conditional, so I will have to accept that if I continue to go, I will have to share. I will be paying a whopping £9000 a year in tuition fees but will find it hard to study and pass let alone concentrate because of disruption to sleep due to sharing.

The rooms are not suitable to share. They are furnished for one person. It's shocking and if it wasn't for this forum, then I wouldn't even know about it. I'm travelling from Plymouth tomorrow to view Aberystwyth and really hope there is someone to talk to about this.

Exactly, Aberystwyth is a great university, but the accommodation situation lets it down a little - not enough for me to not want to go, mind, because the pros outweigh the cons, but this does irritate me.

The one advantage with getting a bunk room is that if you are placed in one you can go on a waiting list to be transferred to a single room. You would be priority as there are many who drop out in the first month or so, so if you put your name down instantly for a single room, they will transfer you to one when someone drops out. That means you would only have to endure a bunk room for a couple of weeks or so.

But I definitely agree :frown: I don't like the bunk room situation at ALL :frown:
Reply 39
Original post by Jabberwox
This sounds selfish but I really do not want a bunk room. Will applying early lessen my chances of getting a bunk room? I have issues with personal space and all my friends at other universities have their own rooms.

I completely understand, quite a few of my friends have been offered bunk rooms for third year and have ended up turning their halls places down because of it, the accommodation situation does let Aber down a bit...

BUT

If you don't want a bunk room there is something you can do to make it less likely, i'm pretty sure you still get 13 accom choices (1 being the one you want most and 13 the least), if you firm Aber you will most likely get one of your top 3 (Maybe 5, but i got my 1st and most of my friends did too).
Cwrt Mawr, Rosser, Penbryn, Brynderu,Pantecelyn (I think) and seafront (I think) don't have any bunk rooms, PJM definately does and i've heard rumours Terfloyne has them too, so if you firm Aber and put those with bunk rooms as your last choices then you should be okay :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest