The Student Room Group

Cumbria PGCE interview

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi All

I've got an interview on the 28th March for the Primary PGCE at the Lancaster campus and was wondering if anyone else has already attended. If so, please could you let me know what the literacy task was about and what was the group discussion about?I'm getting really nervous now and would appreciate any tips or advice? Many thanks. :smile:
my course is at the Lancaster campus. I am very excited now!
Original post by Mariah01
Hi All

I've got an interview on the 28th March for the Primary PGCE at the Lancaster campus and was wondering if anyone else has already attended. If so, please could you let me know what the literacy task was about and what was the group discussion about?I'm getting really nervous now and would appreciate any tips or advice? Many thanks. :smile:

Hey,

My interview was at Carlisle but i am guessing it will be similar. Our literacy task was just to write about how much do we agree with jenny moon in the reflection report we had to look at before the interview. The group discussion was just on effective classroom practice but they look more at how you act within the group, being clear in what your saying but allowing others to talk and share their ideas also.

Hope this helps you a little, their is no need to be nervous it was really relaxed and everyone puts you at ease :smile:
Original post by charlotte995_2004
my course is at the Lancaster campus. I am very excited now!

Well done. I am excited but nervous :s-smilie:
Reply 24
interview at carlisle-fusehill campus april 18th. help plssss!! how were the tasks?
Reply 25
Original post by Greenwood_R
Hey,

My interview was at Carlisle but i am guessing it will be similar. Our literacy task was just to write about how much do we agree with jenny moon in the reflection report we had to look at before the interview. The group discussion was just on effective classroom practice but they look more at how you act within the group, being clear in what your saying but allowing others to talk and share their ideas also.

Hope this helps you a little, their is no need to be nervous it was really relaxed and everyone puts you at ease :smile:

Hi there

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my query. I had a feeling they might ask about whether we agree or not on the jenny moon article- I didnt really find the article straightforward, there was so much to take in but I'll give it my best shot. Have you heard yet? Best of luck xx
Reply 26
Original post by Mariah01
Hi there

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my query. I had a feeling they might ask about whether we agree or not on the jenny moon article- I didnt really find the article straightforward, there was so much to take in but I'll give it my best shot. Have you heard yet? Best of luck xx

I wouldn't worry too much about this. You basically have to compare it to you experiences and say if you agree. I only picked out a few of her main points and applied them to my experience, rather than lots of things because I did feel a bit overwhelmed by the length of it! Some people seemed to have written loads but I only did 2 sides of A4. I think the importance is that you can order and structure your thoughts, and write with correct grammar and spelling.
I only wrote two sides also and worried as everyone was asking for more paper but I think it is just quality rather than quantity. I struggled with only having 30 minutes as I like to plan and take my time. Like I said though there is no need to worry I got my feedback when they offered me my place and I didn't do great in the literacy task because I rushed and paniced but I blabbered my way through the rest of the tests so just be yourself and DON'T PANIC!!! Would be my advice :smile: xx
Reply 28
helloo, how many places are there on the general and lower primary pgce courses? does anyone know? cheers
100 for general 25 for lower xx
Reply 30
hmmm wondering what i should go for rgreenwood?!! experience in both but working in early years at the moment and as a male I thought I would go for lower but 25 places!! do you know how many places have gone? x
Well I have one of the 25 in lower so there is at most 24 haha. To be honest you are at a advantage being a male especially in early years and having experience too. If you enjoy your work in lower I would go for it. :smile: x
Reply 32
Original post by twosugars
I wouldn't worry too much about this. You basically have to compare it to you experiences and say if you agree. I only picked out a few of her main points and applied them to my experience, rather than lots of things because I did feel a bit overwhelmed by the length of it! Some people seemed to have written loads but I only did 2 sides of A4. I think the importance is that you can order and structure your thoughts, and write with correct grammar and spelling.

Thanks twosugars, I'll bear that in mind. I do agree with you- it was a long article to take in. I'm hoping to write the main points and relate it to my professional and personal experience. It is important about the quality rather than the quantity so fingers crossed!! Most of thye places have now been filled up and they have only extremely limited places so stiff competition so all I can do is try my best. Many thanks for your advice. Wish me luck :smile: xx
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi everyone!

I have my general primary interview coming up on the 18th of April in Carlisle!

I'm quiet a nervous person when it comes to interviews so the tips ye have posted on the Jenny Moon article have relaxed me a bit! :smile: ...thank you!!! :biggrin:

Can I ask, what type of questions ye were asked in the Individual Interview? (the web site layout mentions that the interview consists of four set questions-so everyone was asked the same four?) And was the interview in front of the rest of the candidates? (sounds like it is going by the layout again)

Also, for the Individual Presentation, was it a presentation on it's own or were there questions asked at the end?

I would massively appreciate any help ye could give!

Thank You,

Chris
The individual presentation is with 4 other candidates that you have done the group task with and obviously one of the mentors but it is very relaxed I would just advise that you make sure your presentation is under 5 minutes as they do stop you. The interview is just you and the mentor. Asking about your strengths and weaknesses they give you a incident that may happen within the classroom and you have to say what you would do. He just chatted to me it wasn't formal at all so I wouldn't worry just mention a lot about your experience and show you know there is good and bad sides to teaching :smile: hope this helps x
I had my interview today and it was such a nice day! I was at the Lancaster campus :smile: Just make sure you prepare! I over prepared and because I felt ready for most situations it helped to calm me! Good luck on your interview :smile:
Good luck :smile: glad you had a good day. I really enjoyed my interview day too and I got a place so maybe it is a good sign :smile: xx
Thank you Greenwood for your help and congrats on getting your place!!

Bookworm thank you too and best of luck with the offer/decision!!

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Greenwood_R
Well done... I will be on your course.. have you looked into accommodation yet??

No not yet, I have loads of friend who were there this year and have some lovely cheap houses and great locations. I am also waiting to hear back from a university back home to see if I'v got into pgce primary here... Won't know u til late April so no point in getting a house until I know. I also know a few people who have got on the course so we'll look into somewhere to stay, where are u from?
I got on to the course! It was a conditional offer, but just saying I had to show my certificates and pass a crb check before september... did anyone else get this offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending