The Student Room Group

Considering giving my boyfriend a "Hall Pass"

Without faffing about too much I'll give you the basic information:
My boyfriend and I have been going out for over 2 years now, started our relationship when we were 15/16. Both of us are somewhat 'concerned' about the fact that we might actually spend a REALLY FREAKING LONG time together. We're currently planning on staying together through university, and after that it's the sort of time in your life where you want to settle down and give yourself a good grounding and if we're still together then we might end up getting married/living together/having kids etc.
We were both each others firsts, but he'd had a few girlfriends before me whereas I hadn't had any boyfriends. As much as we love each other and want to be together, the thought of him being my only ever scares me a bit. I'm only 18! My youth is trickling away here... So I'm wondering whether he and I should give ourselves a break.
Sort of demote our relationship back to friends and give each other a week or a month or two to get out there and mess around, be youthful and go crazy before we get tied down. Of course I worry that he may find someone else and stuff, but I would like to get some 'outside opinions' on what you guys may have to say: helpful or not...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kersteelou
Sort of demote our relationship back to friends and give each other a week or a month or two to get out there and mess around, be youthful and go crazy before we get tied down. Of course I worry that he may find someone else and stuff, but I would like to get some 'outside opinions' on what you guys may have to say: helpful or not...

So essentially you want to sleep around and then use him as your back up plan once you're fed up of it all? Charming!:rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by k8oxe
So essentially you want to sleep around and then use him as your back up plan once you're fed up of it all? Charming!:rolleyes:

Nonono :/
That must make me seem like such a horrible person D:
What I mean is that we've both talked and realise that we're making/have made a big commitment to each other. Neither of us wants to prevent the other from having a good time in their prime. I want to be able to know what it's like being with someone else and I want him to have the same. I don't want to feel like I stopped him from potentially only having me.
If we get through university and stick it out a few years and it falls apart when we're late 20s-early 30s, we won't be old by any means, but it'll be much harder to get out and about and be as carefree as you could at 17/18...
At the same time, I love him. I will always love him and I will always come back to him. I know that I wouldn't be able to have a long term relationship with anyone else and I know that things between us work, which is why I want to be there for him, and he be there for me, once we've had our fun. Does this make sense?
:s
What will you do if you get emotionally attached to another bloke by accident?
Reply 4
Neither of us wants to prevent the other from having a good time in their prime. I want to be able to know what it's like being with someone else and I want him to have the same. I don't want to feel like I stopped him from potentially only having me.

If you truly loved each other you wouldn't need to try anything with anyone else
Reply 5
Original post by Griffin23
If you truly loved each other you wouldn't need to try anything with anyone else

Exactly this. Why would it matter in the slightest if you were each others "only one"?
If you two are both compeltely in love then you would feel as if you didn't want anyone else at all. You wouldn't feel as if either of you needed space, or as you put it, a 'hall pass'. A loving relationship should be where you love each other so much that you only want each other, no one else.
Reply 7
Original post by Griffin23

Original post by shezshez
Exactly this. Why would it matter in the slightest if you were each others "only one"?

Original post by Charlie Chaplin
If you two are both compeltely in love then you would feel as if you didn't want anyone else at all. You wouldn't feel as if either of you needed space, or as you put it, a 'hall pass'. A loving relationship should be where you love each other so much that you only want each other, no one else.

Because although this is completely and utterly true, I feel like I'm not giving him the chance. I somewhat feel like I'm taking away the possibility for him to meet someone better.
Who says either of you will be able to get sex / mess around even if you do go on a break?

Most people yearn for this true-loviness, and sex at this age is probably not better than 'mature sex' when people actually pick up experience.

By this I mean, you should enjoy your relationship - don't mess it up by going on breaks. You will probably feel jealous, bad stuff might happen, and well... each to their own I guess.
Reply 9
Without faffing about too much I'll give you the basic information:
My boyfriend and I have been going out for over 2 years now, started our relationship when we were 15/16. Both of us are somewhat 'concerned' about the fact that we might actually spend a REALLY FREAKING LONG time together. We're currently planning on staying together through university, and after that it's the sort of time in your life where you want to settle down and give yourself a good grounding and if we're still together then we might end up getting married/living together/having kids etc.
We were both each others firsts, but he'd had a few girlfriends before me whereas I hadn't had any boyfriends. As much as we love each other and want to be together, the thought of him being my only ever scares me a bit. I'm only 18! My youth is trickling away here... So I'm wondering whether he and I should give ourselves a break.

Me and my then boyfriend did this when we started uni...it could not have ended any worse. Seriously would not recommend it, if you love that person it will be horrible for you.
Because although this is completely and utterly true, I feel like I'm not giving him the chance. I somewhat feel like I'm taking away the possibility for him to meet someone better.

It's almost as though you WANT him to meet someone better, why would you want that if you're both really happy in the relationship? Surely you don't want him to leave you because 'meeting someone better' could mean the end of your relationship.
Reply 11
Original post by Journeyzap
Who says either of you will be able to get sex / mess around even if you do go on a break?

Most people yearn for this true-loviness, and sex at this age is probably not better than 'mature sex' when people actually pick up experience.

By this I mean, you should enjoy your relationship - don't mess it up by going on breaks. You will probably feel jealous, bad stuff might happen, and well... each to their own I guess.

I know I would fail at picking up guys, having had no experience and not really believing in myself very much. I also know I'll feel jealous a fair bit and of course I'm worried about the "bad stuff" happening, but I worry he'll slip away if I don't give him the chance...

You haven't answered my question which I previously posted?
Reply 13
Original post by oElectronic
It's almost as though you WANT him to meet someone better, why would you want that if you're both really happy in the relationship? Surely you don't want him to leave you because 'meeting someone better' could mean the end of your relationship.

To me, I'll constantly feel like he's only with me because I was his only choice at the time. We're not even each others types, so I feel like I'm not the best for him
Reply 14
Original post by redferry
Me and my then boyfriend did this when we started uni...it could not have ended any worse. Seriously would not recommend it, if you love that person it will be horrible for you.

That is my ultimate fear from this whole thing...
I'm sorry that it ended badly for you :/
Reply 15
Original post by This Honest
What will you do if you get emotionally attached to another bloke by accident?

Sorry for not answering, I completely missed this question. And it's a tricky one to answer.

I have no idea. I would weigh up my options and tell this guy my situation. I'd tell him that my long-term boyfriend and I were on a break to do what we wanted for a bit. I'd have to tell him everything and ask him what it meant to him. If it scared him away then that's that. If he was understanding and 'okay' with it then I'd talk to my boyfriend and explain what'd happened. I'd have some alone time and think it through. I would have to remember that the new-ness of a relationship often clouds your judgement of that relationship.
I'd have to consider whether he would mean more to me than my boyfriend does/would. So it'd all depend on the guy and circumstances. Hope that answers your question somewhat...
To me, I'll constantly feel like he's only with me because I was his only choice at the time. We're not even each others types, so I feel like I'm not the best for him

I think you should end it. It sounds like you're not THAT into him or else you'd want to keep the relationship entirely to yourselves instead of creating some kind of open relationship, or acting as though you're both completely single whilst at uni. It's probably for the best, you may end up finding a guy who is your type at uni and who you'd end up loving more than your current boyfriend. Plus you did say you wanted to be more 'youthful and crazy' and being in a relationship doesn't really help that if by that you mean exploring more with guys and stuff.
Reply 17
Original post by oElectronic
I think you should end it. It sounds like you're not THAT into him or else you'd want to keep the relationship entirely to yourselves instead of creating some kind of open relationship, or acting as though you're both completely single whilst at uni. It's probably for the best, you may end up finding a guy who is your type at uni and who you'd end up loving more than your current boyfriend. Plus you did say you wanted to be more 'youthful and crazy' and being in a relationship doesn't really help that if by that you mean exploring more with guys and stuff.

I guess it's hard to explain everything over the internet and to someone who isn't physically in our relationship, but I can safely say I am definitely THAT into him. It wouldn't be a uni thing... It'd be pre-uni. Sort of a summer holidays thing where we can both relax and stuff before getting to the hectic life of Uni where we'd be there to support each other should we need it and such. Part of the problem is that there are things that I enjoy doing but can't because he doesn't want me to do them. But I'm also sure there are things he doesn't do because of me as well. I think it'd be good for us to get apart for a bit. Just to see how we get on without being attached at the hip xD
Sorry for not answering, I completely missed this question. And it's a tricky one to answer.

I have no idea. I would weigh up my options and tell this guy my situation. I'd tell him that my long-term boyfriend and I were on a break to do what we wanted for a bit. I'd have to tell him everything and ask him what it meant to him. If it scared him away then that's that. If he was understanding and 'okay' with it then I'd talk to my boyfriend and explain what'd happened. I'd have some alone time and think it through. I would have to remember that the new-ness of a relationship often clouds your judgement of that relationship.
I'd have to consider whether he would mean more to me than my boyfriend does/would. So it'd all depend on the guy and circumstances. Hope that answers your question somewhat...

Okay then.
However, the last part kinda contradicts what you said in the OP.
Also, if you're planning on getting back to your bf after your "holiday" make sure you make it clear to the guy(s) that you want nothing serious. It would make things complicated if a guy got emotionally attached to you.
In my opinion, I don't agree with what you're doing but whatever happens.... happens. :yep:
Reply 19
Original post by This Honest
Okay then.
However, the last part kinda contradicts what you said in the OP.
Also, if you're planning on getting back to your bf after your "holiday" make sure you make it clear to the guy(s) that you want nothing serious. It would make things complicated if a guy got emotionally attached to you.
In my opinion, I don't agree with what you're doing but whatever happens.... happens. :yep:

Hehe, I know that and I don't want to fall for another guy/another guy to fall for me. But you did ask what'd happen if it did and I told you :smile:
I'm not exactly the lovable type so people falling for me isn't something I worry about too much :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending