The Student Room Group

If you don't revise you'll end up..

Scroll to see replies

work isnt shame,btu man i really have to study economics
Original post by Sagacious

Perhaps something more suited for TSR?

99% UMS Score that won't get you into University and is laughable on TSR-I'm being sarcastic:colondollar:

You will end up having to resit your A2s and waste more hard earned cash because the tuition fees are increasing to £9000.
Original post by Sagacious

Perhaps something more suited for TSR?

LOOL

*star wars voice*

'join the darkk side '

:rofl:
Original post by Miracle Day
So I thought we could create this thread to motivate each other..

Post pictures of where we'll end up if we don't work hard and revise now :smile:

I'll start.

OP there's really no need at all to be snobby like this. Many graduates with great grades are struggling to find ANY job at the moment, and guess what? They revised the best way they could. They have no choice, but to work at ASDA. But it's a job, even if low paid and not relevant to people's career choices, and something to add to the CV.
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
OP there's really no need at all to be snobby like this. Many graduates with great grades are struggling to find ANY job at the moment, and guess what? They revised the best way they could. They have no choice, but to work at ASDA. But it's a job, even if low paid and not relevant to people's career choices, and something to add to the CV.

Dude, this is TSR...

Nobody ends up working at ASDA; everybody becomes a lawyer, doctor, research physicist or investment banker. Did you not receive the newsletter?
Reply 125
Hmmm... well my friend and I both fell in love with the same uni, got offers from it and made amazing plans about how we'd both go there and have a brilliant time.

I didn't revise and missed the grades so went to my insurance instead.

I'm having the time of my life and couldn't be happier, while she got the grades and is now incredibly depressed because she HATES the uni, is struggling with her course and hasn't made any friends.

IT'S SO HARD TO MOTIVATE MYSELF TO REVISE NOW :frown:
Reply 126
Original post by rjm101
The thing that demotivates me the most is that after going on placement I've realised all the employers care about with regards to web proffessionals is a good portfolio. A portfolio tells the employer so much more about the quality of students work in comparison to a degree title. They dont even take a second glance at the degree type you have its your portfolio and experiance all the way. Once you realise that, wheres the motivation to do well in your exams??

On top of that youve been offered a full time position now and if I decide to go back to uni and regardless of whether you do well or not when completing the degree the offer still stands.

I'm very much a do'er and problem solver but I dont like to blag on writting about it which works great in a commercial environment, not so much academic. In addition one of the exams you have you know is completly irrelevant to anything in the real world.

Wheres the motivation now??

Seriously, wheres my motivation?
Reply 127

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by T-Toe

I suspect that being Abraham Lincoln or Winston Churchill are probably only available as career options to a minority of those who don't revise tbh.
Original post by thetobbit
It just annoys me the masses upon masses of people going to uni simply cause they can/want to, to do a course which will have no real benefit to their career at all.

If you work hard, you should be allowed to go to uni

Its when someone says "Im going to such-and-such uni to do Sports management and i need 2 B's." And you're screaming in your head "maybe you're not suited to uni" --> you're skills could be used so much more effectively in another pursuit like an electrician etc (which for the record im very jealous of as when they drive past their own car, while i'm still struggling with student debts)

Uni should be academics and hard-workers, not a 3 year holiday.

The post-Blair era of everyone is special and should be able to whatever they want has had a large impact on this.

I can agree with you to a certain level but the person who called you a snob has valid grounds. You're right in saying that it shouldn't be treated as a three year holiday but you can't imply that everyone who studies Media, or any number of the "lesser" degree programmes, doesn't have passion and/or flair for the subject.

I studied Media. Last June, I graduated with First Class Honours and subsequently received Masters offers from UCL, Warwick and Manchester for subjects in related fields. I'm at Manchester now and I've recently received two graduate offers from sizeable companies. From the outset, I wanted to study Media and I wanted to exceed at it. I'm sure you know it's wrong to generalise and I accept that people have negative opinions of my BA. However, I can't accept claims that I'm not intelligent enough for university just because I chose to do it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 130
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I suspect that being Abraham Lincoln or Winston Churchill are probably only available as career options to a minority of those who don't revise tbh.

Just trying to lighten up the mood.

To see young people bashing people others who are unfortunate to prove their self worth is disappointing.

I know this has been said to death but getting average/poor grades isn't the end of the world. I'm not condoning no revision, but if things don't work out there are dozens of things young people can do to reach their goals.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by T-Toe
Just trying to lighten up the mood.

To see young people bashing people others who are unfortunate to prove their self worth is disappointing.

I know this has been said to death but getting average/poor grades isn't the end of the world. I'm not condoning no revision, but if things don't work out there are dozens of things young people can do to reach their goals.

lol, accepted, sorry, somewhat ironically I'm procrastinating painfully dull revision by commenting on this thread, I realise I didn't exactly contribute anything of value there.

That said, I must say that thinking "it'll work out okay anyway" has always motivated me not to work. I think there's a genuine "I'd better work otherwise I might work behind a till for the rest of my life" element of motivation by fear here, however unpleasant you may find it that some people don't want to work behind tills for the rest of their lives, and not revising makes that more likely even though there will still be opportunities. I don't think it necessarily comes with scorn for those who do work behind tills, though I'll quite happily accept that some people do scorn those who do, and ofc that's not nice/ right.

I say all this as I ignore the textbook that's sitting on my table in front of me :sad:
Shut the hell up kid!
Original post by Lintu93
Hmmm... well my friend and I both fell in love with the same uni, got offers from it and made amazing plans about how we'd both go there and have a brilliant time.

I didn't revise and missed the grades so went to my insurance instead.

I'm having the time of my life and couldn't be happier, while she got the grades and is now incredibly depressed because she HATES the uni, is struggling with her course and hasn't made any friends.

IT'S SO HARD TO MOTIVATE MYSELF TO REVISE NOW :frown:

Out of curiosity where did you and your friend end up?
Reply 134
Original post by Lamps08
I can assure you it's not his Media studies degree that they're interested in.

possibly not, it might just be the good impression he's made since starting work in that area. but they did initially go to the head tutor of the course he's doing asking for people that they'd recommend, so it is kind of to do with the degree he chose to do.
Original post by LETSJaM
:giggle: Nothing like foretelling gloom/doom for motivation.

And to you I say learn to take a joke ffs!

<3 x

I did say 'most of it is in jest' ... :rolleyes:
Reply 136
Original post by BSc.Pro.Logic
Out of curiosity where did you and your friend end up?

I'm at Stirling, she's at Lancaster :smile:
Reply 137
Original post by StrawberryKoi
Tell you what, if you get the grades you need I will make you one of those damn boxes myself. :sexface:

Right now we're talking!
Off to do 8 hours of revision- I want that damn box house :colone:
Reply 138
Original post by TimmonaPortella
lol, accepted, sorry, somewhat ironically I'm procrastinating painfully dull revision by commenting on this thread, I realise I didn't exactly contribute anything of value there.

That said, I must say that thinking "it'll work out okay anyway" has always motivated me not to work. I think there's a genuine "I'd better work otherwise I might work behind a till for the rest of my life" element of motivation by fear here, however unpleasant you may find it that some people don't want to work behind tills for the rest of their lives, and not revising makes that more likely even though there will still be opportunities. I don't think it necessarily comes with scorn for those who do work behind tills, though I'll quite happily accept that some people do scorn those who do, and ofc that's not nice/ right.

I say all this as I ignore the textbook that's sitting on my table in front of me :sad:

Why don't you concentrate on what you do want to become, rather than what you fear? Surely that's better motivation?

You'll be revising with the aid of ambition rather than with the fear that you have to.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 139
Paying for private entry retakes?

Quick Reply

Latest