The Student Room Group

What happens if you narrowly miss your grades for your insurance uni?

Hi,

Got four offers and now the time has come to choose a good firm and insurance choice.

I am happy with my firm choice (grades are a bit high) but just wondering about my insurance.

My lowest offer wants BBC whereas my second lowest want 360 UCAS Points (Including AS Subjects, so in my case ABC/BBB or 300 Equivalent).

However, my lowest offer uni is away from home and accomodation is not guaranteed if you insure them. But for the 360 UCAS university, I don't have the accomodation issue.

Problem is, if I narrowly miss the 360 UCAS points and get say 340 UCAS points then what happens? Because when I went to the uni and spoke to them face to face they said that there was a 95% chance acceptance but it can't be guaranteed. But then again, any uni would say that. In case you are wondering this is City University London.

What shall I do?

Would appreciate some advice.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by exam2k10
Hi,

Got four offers and now the time has come to choose a good firm and insurance choice.

I am happy with my firm choice (grades are a bit high) but just wondering about my insurance.

My lowest offer wants BBC whereas my second lowest want 360 UCAS Points (Including AS Subjects, so in my case ABC/BBB or 300 Equivalent).

However, my lowest offer uni is away from home and accomodation is not guaranteed if you insure them. But for the 360 UCAS university, I don't have the accomodation issue.

Problem is, if I narrowly miss the 360 UCAS points and get say 340 UCAS points then what happens? Because when I went to the uni and spoke to them face to face they said that there was a 95% chance acceptance but it can't be guaranteed. But then again, any uni would say that. In case you are wondering this is City University London.

What shall I do?

Would appreciate some advice.

Thanks

There's no point putting somewhere as an insurance you wouldn't actually go.

And not any uni would say that by a long stretch, if you have some unis down as Firm they won't take you if you miss the grades, even if if it's only by a couple of UMS for courses like medicine. At Insurance even more are strict on the requirements (I know mine have some flexibility with those who firmed but are a lot tougher on those who insured it), sounds like a pretty good chance of getting in anyway compared to most places.
Reply 2
Original post by exam2k10
Problem is, if I narrowly miss the 360 UCAS points and get say 340 UCAS points then what happens?

Officially, you get put through to Clearing where you have the opportunity to call up unis to try to find available courses. However, as a rule, you should always call up the place, especially if you've just missed the offer. If they then have spaces on the course for whatever reason and they decide to give you an offer, then it's fine. This applies to your firm, too, needless to say.

If you think Clearing is a possibility, then you should probably ask yourself whether you'd consider going elsewhere, even anywhere, possibly to do a different course, or if you'd rather resit, or whatever you think of. As has already been said, if you don't like a course or a uni, you don't have to go. It's easier to sort something out now than to dither and end up dropping out in April.

From what I remember of my girlfriend's experience of Clearing, you should make sure you're really prepared beforehand. And call places. By the time they have chance to email you back, they'll have probably given out the offers.

Quick Reply

Latest