The Student Room Group

Which BTEC's are well respected? And what is the workload like?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Perseverance
Then drop a subject. BTECs are significantly less respected and, depending on your plans, could hinder your university. I'd only recommend taking it if you sought a vocational course, but seeing your choice of subjects that doesn't seem the case?
are they, how did i get my graduate job?
Original post by jermaindefoe
are they, how did i get my graduate job?

If you try re-reading my post, I state 'could hinder', there are exceptions to the rule. Likewise, I never suggested it'll stop anyone getting a job, sounds like you're just commenting to boast...
Original post by Perseverance
If you try re-reading my post, I state 'could hinder', there are exceptions to the rule. Likewise, I never suggested it'll stop anyone getting a job, sounds like you're just commenting to boast...

nope, just repping my BTEC massive :tongue:

It is a good quality qualification if you put the effort in to get good marks, can't go wrong unless you do not try. Plus people care less about BTEC and A-Levels when you do a degree. The only thing I will say is it slightly hinders your choice of uni so that's the only thing to watch out for and pre plan on where you would like to end up (uni) early
Reply 23
Don't listen to all this rubbish 'BTECs are looked down upon'

You can get into University of York with a BTEC - Hardly looked down upon is it?

If anything BTEC's are more testing. You're working constantly throughout the 2 years where as A level students may just do some work a few months till their exams.

With me I have to complete 3 assignments a week, usually each around 1000-2000 words.

So your answer is the work load is equally as much as A Levels if not more than A levels and yes they are respected. Those who say they aren't know nothing. :smile:
The Engineering BTEC can get you into Cambridge, the IT can get you into King's College. And my Journalism BTEC got me into Manchester, wooo.
Reply 25
Original post by de_monies
Wooh. Same course here, though at a different uni

Which uni? :smile:
Original post by Chris1068
Which uni? :smile:

Staffordshire
Reply 27
Just so you know, if you want to do a BTEC and feel it would be better for you, do it. It may hinder your chances when it comes to uni applications, but it's certainly not impossible.

To give you hope: I am at the University of Sheffield, a decent redbrick uni. I'm studying Politics which you need AAB to get onto, and one of my friends is on the course with DDD in Public Services BTEC. He is really into the subject, and is doing just as well as I am in essays and exams.

I must admit, since I met him before the course started and he told me his BTEC and stuff, I judged and was a little annoyed at someone with a BTEC getting onto this course when high A-Levels were needed that I worked my ass off for. I have totally changed my mind though, and I regret thinking like that. Talking to him about the course and seeing his marks proves he is more than worthy despite whether he did A-Levels or not.

It is odd though I guess, because one of my other friends from college had DDD in Business Studies and got rejected from most of his unis. He's now at a pretty bad uni and is scraping 40%s, which is bad. I guess it depends how you adapt and how much you like your course.

EDIT: Saw someone mention Uni of York which is an excellent uni and reminded me and I also know someone who did a BTEC and is at York doing criminal justice now I think. Another example to increase your confidence.

EDIT AGAIN: You are doing some really respected A-Levels there by the way. And I was in your position very much in my AS year, so close to dropping out or switching to BTEC. I was very close to going on an apprenticeship scheme with BAE actually. Anything to get away from A-Levels, because I hated them all pretty much. But I stuck with it, and did really well, and don't regret it. They are hard, and it is hard to manage them at times, but with good time management they are a satisfying thing to do. I take it you are in AS year, but I found my A-Levels got more interesting (which normally makes it easier to do the work!) in A2 year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by de_monies
Staffordshire

Staffordshire was one of my options :P
Reply 29
Ive just done a BTEC in IT system support i got D*D*D* which is highest mark and im starting university at Birmingham city in September doing computer networks i applied for 5 different universitys and got accepted for them all so just giving you a idea. Work wasn't too hard but i deffo did extra in class and at home to get the best grades i also did assignments as soon as they were due to stay ahead. If you do a btec you'll get out of the course the effort you put in :smile:
Original post by Leo*
There is a reasonable workload with BTEC's but it's not too bad, as long as you're a good essay writer and are good with deadlines then it's actually not bad at all (If you're interested in the subject of course).

As far as progression and respectability is concerned, both myself and my girlfriend studied BTEC's and we're currently studying at the University of Manchester.

what subject were you and your girlfriend studying at the uni of Manchester?
Reply 31
Original post by cooto
Ive just done a BTEC in IT system support i got D*D*D* which is highest mark and im starting university at Birmingham city in September doing computer networks i applied for 5 different universitys and got accepted for them all so just giving you a idea. Work wasn't too hard but i deffo did extra in class and at home to get the best grades i also did assignments as soon as they were due to stay ahead. If you do a btec you'll get out of the course the effort you put in :smile:

I'm doing btec in computer science and business studies. What courses will I be able access in uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending