The Student Room Group

22.05.2012 - AQA GCSE English Literature Exam - HELP!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Navdeep
Thanks (:
So you're answering it as two separate questions, not one whole essay?
Good luck for the day!

No problem :smile: Yes, two separate questions, make sure you clearly label part a and part b so the examiner knows

Thankyou and good luck to you! :smile:
Symbolism of the bunkhouse? Wow thats ridiculous. I would have cried too
!

im really hoping curley's wife will come up!
If curleys wife came up in the foundation paper its not very likely it's going to come up in the higher on monday right? :frown:
Reply 43
Original post by Globox
I'm doing An Inspector Calls, yes. As someone else said, usually one of the questions is about a character. My teacher thinks there's a good chance this paper will feature a question on Eric. The other question is usually far more general and asks about a theme or some kind of development through the play.

Everybody seems to be doing Of Mice & Men. Is anybody doing To Kill A Mockingbird? The top two sets do To Kill A Mockingbird in my school and the other three do Of Mice & Men. I'm nervous for the To Kill A Mockingbird questions because I'm never too sure where to get quotes from since the book is pretty thick. The first question is usually okay because they provide the passage, but the second one is harder because you're expected to find quotes from different stages in the book, which is actually quite difficult, given the time constraints.

Hi! I'm doing TKAM this year too! I've been doing quite a few practice essays and I found that writing significant quotes for each theme and/or main character really helps. Also, knowing the book back to front is so good! So if you had a question on Boo Radley, I would focus on the end of the book where Boo saves Jem or focus on the start where the rumours about him being a monster are most prevalent; knowing which parts are significant in relation to each theme or character really helps in the time constraints because you can just flip to that section of the book and skim read for signifacnt words or phrases. Hope this helps!
I hope it's nature that comes up.. or Curley's Wife.
It's possible that it could come up despite it being named in Foundation previously. I thought they were two separate tiers?

Look at Compass & Torch, that was named in the Specimen paper and then came up again on the first exam of this new spec :biggrin:
Want help in any essays or poems. Just check out mrbrufs channel. Its really good. I personnaly rate it 9/10 xD
http://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff?feature=results_main
Reply 46
Hey guys
if your stuck on of mice and men, get a cgp book or sumthing, they are awesome!

Im kinda stuck on the women in black, i have found some info, but not a great deal :frown:
but i do know that we will need to --interpret the meaning of the text, how well we use textual evidence to support interpretatiions, and how well we analyse the writers use of language, structure and form--
Reply 47
Can anyone give me a link to the jan 2012 paper???

Or which characters for the crucible have come up so far????
Original post by Globox
I'm doing An Inspector Calls, yes. As someone else said, usually one of the questions is about a character. My teacher thinks there's a good chance this paper will feature a question on Eric. The other question is usually far more general and asks about a theme or some kind of development through the play.

Everybody seems to be doing Of Mice & Men. Is anybody doing To Kill A Mockingbird? The top two sets do To Kill A Mockingbird in my school and the other three do Of Mice & Men. I'm nervous for the To Kill A Mockingbird questions because I'm never too sure where to get quotes from since the book is pretty thick. The first question is usually okay because they provide the passage, but the second one is harder because you're expected to find quotes from different stages in the book, which is actually quite difficult, given the time constraints.

I'm doing To Kill A Mockingbird and The Crucible - my teacher says she's not worried about me/my class because we're top set English, but last year we all got Bs and Cs in our poetry exam (apparently the marker was crap but still) and that's made me seriously worried. I feel so under-prepared.
Reply 49
Has Sybil Birling come up in An Inspector Calls?
Reply 50
Anyone doing 'Touching the Void'?
I'm doing The Crucible! :frown:

I wish we had more time. -_-
Reply 52
I'm doing the Crucible and To kill a mockingbird.. i need another day of revision, can't believe the exam is tomorrow! I got an A in the poetry exam last year and full marks on the coursework so I hope I can get an A in this exam, if not I know I've tried my best. That's all we can do. :smile:
Original post by Clare2012
Can anyone give me a link to the jan 2012 paper???

Or which characters for the crucible have come up so far????

As far as I am aware, what came up last June was Abigail and how Miller creates tension at the beginning of the play. The foundation paper was about Danforth.

In January of the same year it was about Parris' responsibility for Proctor's death.
does any1 know how to structure an answer to a section b question

so do we like... do it in two separate a) and b) paragraphs or but it together as 1 long essay

pleasseeeeeeeeeeeeeee........
Original post by getoom
does any1 know how to structure an answer to a section b question

so do we like... do it in two separate a) and b) paragraphs or but it together as 1 long essay

pleasseeeeeeeeeeeeeee........

nvm i got it
I reckon there's a good chance the nature setting in OMAM in Chapter 6 might come up, curley's wife, crooks or slim. For AIC, I think it might be eric, mr birling or mrs birling. I really hope they don't put in any dodgy questions or rubbish extracts. Fingers crossed, good luck everyone!
Original post by sophieking
Anyone doing An Inpector Calls?
I'm quite confused as to what they would ask..hope it's nothing stupid which would confuse me IN the exam!

Also doing Of Mice And Men..I've been going over the context but I'm quite stuck :frown:

Any thoughts on how to make them A/A* essays?

I'm doing both of these books. Our teacher told us there's a high chance the Inspector Calls question will be about power or the Inspector, perhaps even Mr. Birling. It's likely it won't be Sheila or Gerald as they have already been mentioned in previous years.

For Of Mice and Men, we were told there's a very high chance the question will be on Curley's Wife OR Crooks and the part B question will nearly always ask you to write about 1930s America.

We did an Inspector Calls mock a while back and I got full marks by doing this:

1) VERY brief intro, one sentence, reword the question.
2) How the Inspector is a catalyst and has full control over the characters much like Priestley has over the whole book.
3) How community is important. Quoted the large end speech that uses a lot of "we" which suggests community is more important than anything. "Fire, Blood, Anguish" is dramatic irony.
4) Class, wealth and power don't matter even though the Inspector is classy, wealthy and powerful. Inspector deliberately chosen for this reason. Manipulates Birlings AND audiences of 1912 and 1945 into believing Priestley's point of view. Keeps secrets even though he doesn't want anyone else to.
5) Talk about his entrance with the lighting and his appearance. "Solidity" = translucent = Priestley's points can't be seen through. "Massiveness" mirrors how important and large the points are.
6) Bulls*** a conclusion :smile:
Reply 58
Who did the Lord of the flies question on death? If so then what points did you write about and how did you find the exam?
Reply 59
Original post by xRedRockerx
I'm doing both of these books. Our teacher told us there's a high chance the Inspector Calls question will be about power or the Inspector, perhaps even Mr. Birling. It's likely it won't be Sheila or Gerald as they have already been mentioned in previous years.

For Of Mice and Men, we were told there's a very high chance the question will be on Curley's Wife OR Crooks and the part B question will nearly always ask you to write about 1930s America.

We did an Inspector Calls mock a while back and I got full marks by doing this:

1) VERY brief intro, one sentence, reword the question.
2) How the Inspector is a catalyst and has full control over the characters much like Priestley has over the whole book.
3) How community is important. Quoted the large end speech that uses a lot of "we" which suggests community is more important than anything. "Fire, Blood, Anguish" is dramatic irony.
4) Class, wealth and power don't matter even though the Inspector is classy, wealthy and powerful. Inspector deliberately chosen for this reason. Manipulates Birlings AND audiences of 1912 and 1945 into believing Priestley's point of view. Keeps secrets even though he doesn't want anyone else to.
5) Talk about his entrance with the lighting and his appearance. "Solidity" = translucent = Priestley's points can't be seen through. "Massiveness" mirrors how important and large the points are.
6) Bulls*** a conclusion :smile:

You should've aced this exam then!! Woah that's freaky The inspector and Curley's wife came up .. Pretty pleased they did though :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending