The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Have I misunderstood my offer?

"This offer is subject to your obtaining A minimum of 280 UCAS Tariff points including from three GCE A levels or AVCEs excluding General Studies"

Does that mean that they only take into account the points from 3 A levels? That's what I think it means, but my friend disagrees...any comments appreciated.
banksy
"This offer is subject to your obtaining A minimum of 280 UCAS Tariff points including from three GCE A levels or AVCEs excluding General Studies"

Does that mean that they only take into account the points from 3 A levels? That's what I think it means, but my friend disagrees...any comments appreciated.

you must have at least three full A2's
other AS levels can be counted towards the points total.

eg. I will have A2 Sociology, A2 Film studies and A2 English
but also have AS Philosophy and AS Spanish.

all of those count towards my point total.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
I disagree with Exoskeletal, I think it means you have to get 280 points from your 3 A levels and that is all that counts. So you could get BBC ABD AAE. I think it would be ridiculously easy if they let you include AS results too.
Reply 3
Ahhhhh!!!
Reply 4
That said neither I or Exoskeletal are really in the position to know, I think the old trick of emailing SOAS would be the only way to be sure.
Reply 5
I, on the other hand, agree with Exoskeletal. If it has said 'from three A-levels', it would have been three A-levels alone. But, since it says 'including from three A-levels', I assume it means you ahve to get 3 A-levels (ie. at least EEE), and you also have to get 280pts.
Reply 6
Alexii
I disagree with Exoskeletal, I think it means you have to get 280 points from your 3 A levels and that is all that counts. So you could get BBC ABD AAE. I think it would be ridiculously easy if they let you include AS results too.

I think it's meant to be. BBC is pretty easy for an institution of that quality anyway. It implies that they actually want you.
I also think it is BBC in three A2 levels. If they were so lax (which i doubt SOAS would be) to also include As results then they wouldn't exclude general studies.
Reply 8
digitalparadox
I also think it is BBC in three A2 levels. If they were so lax (which i doubt SOAS would be) to also include As results then they wouldn't exclude general studies.

I think you're parsing it wrong. It's "280pts including from '3 A-levels not including General Studies'". That is, you must have passed three A-levels that aren't General Studies in addition to achieving 280pts.

Also, it really is the only possible interpretation. If it wasn't, why would they use the word 'including', when a clearer meaning could be gained without it? Still, someone should email SOAS.
Reply 9
Ok i'll email SOAS, what's their address for admissions?
Reply 10
as far as i kno, when a uni gives u an offer based on tariff points, den as well as your full 3 alevels, you AS grades are also counted to the final points. That is unless, the university is specifically askin for the grades, i.e. BBB

For example, iv got an offer from SOAS, asking for 320 tariff points, which means my AS grade also counts in order for me to gain the 320 points.
Reply 11
shanaz2k6
as far as i kno, when a uni gives u an offer based on tariff points, den as well as your full 3 alevels, you AS grades are also counted to the final points. That is unless, the university is specifically askin for the grades, i.e. BBB

For example, iv got an offer from SOAS, asking for 320 tariff points, which means my AS grade also counts in order for me to gain the 320 points.

You are unfortunately mistaken.
so that means i do have to get ABB ?

ah well.
it's not like i'm doing chemistry or anything...

Banksy, did you email soas and ask? or ucas?
Reply 13
I was referring to your first paragraph, I still haven't called. I'm going near Russel Square tomorrow anyways for a History conference so I'll drop in and ask someone...
bueno
Reply 15
Cheers... Doing 4 subjects I thought I had a walk-in...

Latest

Trending

Trending