The Student Room Group

TEFL support thread

I have seen that quite a few people have been asking about TEFL on here. Let's put everything in one place. Please use this thread to discuss the course with other TEFL students, share ideas, talk about assignments and help newbies choose a course. Reviews would be most welcome.

How are you finding it? Through which organisation? How many hours and how far are you?

I am doing a 120 hour TEFL course with TEFL Scotland. I have just completed the 30 hour grammar exam and I am now doing the 2nd assignment of the 50 hour course. I am also doing a modern language degree. I have 6 months to complete the course.

What is TEFL?

A TEFL qualification gives you a knowledge of English grammar and the classroom skills you need to teach effectively. The course length and content varies, though it is generally accepted that a 120 hour course will allow a student access to most jobs.

One can do an intensive 20 hour weekend course, or a longer more intensive course, such as the 100, 120 or 140 hour courses. These are more valued by employers as they teach not only classroom skills, but also grammar (as studied by non-native students), English phonetics and how to be a good facilitator.

Why take a TEFL course?

English native speakers are much in demand in countries such as China, Taiwan, Japan and South-east Asia. Some contracts are very generous and include free flights, visas and medical insurance, free or subsidised accommodation, and often subsidised or paid for tuition of the local language. The salaries do vary depending on the country, though many live very comfortable and have enough free hours and holidays to explore the country. This is an opportunity to earn money, get work experience, learn a new language and experience a new culture.

Course Finance

Unfortunately the price of a TEFL course if often high. There is often funding available though. TEFL Scotland for example offer 20% off for students, whilst ILA Scotland (http://www.ilascotland.org.uk/ILA+Homepage.htm) will put £200 towards courses (enough to pay for the 20 hour course, or you can pay extra to do a longer course) if you are:

-a resident in Scotland
-a British citizen
-not engaged in higher education.
-not holding a degree

It is worth looking into the funding possibilities for any TEFL course you take on. Do enquire about the funding options and perhaps you will be surprised.

If anyone else would like to add to this, share success stories (or nightmare scenarios!) please do.

Scroll to see replies

I think as a graduate you can do other courses such as Cambridge TKT which is recognised both in the UK and abroad. This course is delivered in modules, the core one being the biggest, with a full section on grammar, to make sure you understand what your existing knowledge is and what you'll need to know to teach someone else about the language. Many courses are really expensive but not all and I know a place doing TKT in January 2013 costing £500 and they have leads to an agent who can get you a placement abroad within a month or two of completing. So look around and compare prices before making a decision but certainly teaching abroad is very enriching, great for your CV and doesn't need to be costly to prepare for. Remember whatever course you take if you want to teach in the UK you'll need a PGCE too.
Reply 2
I have just graduated and as the job market is so fierce at the minute, do you think doing a TEFL course would make my CV stand out?

Ive been looking into doing the paid teaching internship in China, has anyone been? recommend it? do's and don'ts??

thanks
Would definitely recommend it as there are jobs available now in places like South Korea, Thailand and Georgia. Depending on what you've graduated in, you could do a weekend course to brush up your skills and give you an indication if teaching English abroad is for you. After that you could do the Cambridge TKT which, if delivered one day a week, takes about 6 weeks to do. Both these courses are available in Warrington so if you want more information let me know.
Original post by ottero
I have just graduated and as the job market is so fierce at the minute, do you think doing a TEFL course would make my CV stand out?

Ive been looking into doing the paid teaching internship in China, has anyone been? recommend it? do's and don'ts??

thanks

I know there are plenty of paid jobs available in China, and yes, a TEFL would probably help though it wouldn't be essential. I met many English teachers in China who were trained up by their companies, though it does help to get out there already qualified.
Reply 5
Original post by lizfairy
I know there are plenty of paid jobs available in China, and yes, a TEFL would probably help though it wouldn't be essential. I met many English teachers in China who were trained up by their companies, though it does help to get out there already qualified.

Hey, thanks for your reply :smile: would you rate going on the china tefl programe? Ive heard so many mixed reviews about it, worried to pay out the money and it be a nightmare!
My advice would be to get training and qualifications here. Remember once you go out to teach you are learning on the spot already if you haven't taught before so being prepared by having specific knowledge supports the learning curve. I can't emphasise this enough as feedback from past students says that the classroom based learning, where as many questions as possible can be asked and lesson preparation etc can be immediately evaluated, is invaluable and prepares them so much more than the online training. It depends how confident you feel yourself.
Reply 7
He, nice thread! :biggrin: ... So the situation is that I'm on a gap year and I want to go teach English abroad... Is it necessary (which cost too much money) to do the full course or just the 140 hour course?
Thanks!
Original post by Cheungieee
He, nice thread! :biggrin: ... So the situation is that I'm on a gap year and I want to go teach English abroad... Is it necessary (which cost too much money) to do the full course or just the 140 hour course?
Thanks!

It really depends on where you want to teach! The TEFL will help you out anywhere, though countries like China often take people without any qualifications whatsoever. The only requirement may well be 'Mother-tongue English speaker'.

Which full course are you talking about?
I think if you're confident and happy to teach without any preparation, just being a native English speaker, then go for it. But you will be constantly learning on the job and with a classroom full of learners looking at you, this can be difficult to say the least. Be prepared. Let's face it a course - either intensive over a weekend or over a 6 week period - isn't a lot to ask and can stand you in good stead when you get on the job.
Hello, I don't know if this has been said but I have hear that if you do a Tefl course you can only teach at basic level in primary schools and secondary schools but if you do a pgce at unversity you can then teach at universities abroad?
Reply 11
Original post by janet whitfield
I think if you're confident and happy to teach without any preparation, just being a native English speaker, then go for it. But you will be constantly learning on the job and with a classroom full of learners looking at you, this can be difficult to say the least. Be prepared. Let's face it a course - either intensive over a weekend or over a 6 week period - isn't a lot to ask and can stand you in good stead when you get on the job.

Difficult in an understatement :tongue:.
I'm currently a language assistant in a French school and very much learning on the job. It was very daunting at first having a group a class of 18 year old students not knowing what kind of activities worked well or even how to control a class.

My advice would be, always be prepared. You can't really wing lessons: if you haven't prepared anything your students WILL realise and they won't co-operate. It's hard enough getting them to focus and actually speak English at the best of times, even more so when you haven't got an actual plan for the lesson. In terms of actually doing a TEFL course, I think it would be a good idea but it isn't really necessary, especially if you're doing the British Council Language Assistant scheme. I've only been doing my job for a month but have already learnt so much.

Secondly you've GOT to be confident. If you're shy or intimidated then again, your students will realise and then will walk all over you. I'm lucky in the sense that I'm good with public speaking and have the confidence to give as good back if my students give me any hassle but it can be very hard at first.

Being a language assistant/TEFL is hard work, much harder then I originally thought but it's also very rewarding and a lot of fun. I'd recommend anyone to go for it.
Original post by .Scout.
Difficult in an understatement :tongue:.
I'm currently a language assistant in a French school and very much learning on the job. It was very daunting at first having a group a class of 18 year old students not knowing what kind of activities worked well or even how to control a class.

My advice would be, always be prepared. You can't really wing lessons: if you haven't prepared anything your students WILL realise and they won't co-operate. It's hard enough getting them to focus and actually speak English at the best of times, even more so when you haven't got an actual plan for the lesson. In terms of actually doing a TEFL course, I think it would be a good idea but it isn't really necessary, especially if you're doing the British Council Language Assistant scheme. I've only been doing my job for a month but have already learnt so much.

Secondly you've GOT to be confident. If you're shy or intimidated then again, your students will realise and then will walk all over you. I'm lucky in the sense that I'm good with public speaking and have the confidence to give as good back if my students give me any hassle but it can be very hard at first.

Being a language assistant/TEFL is hard work, much harder then I originally thought but it's also very rewarding and a lot of fun. I'd recommend anyone to go for it.

I think there's some really sound advice here from someone who is experiencing the situation we're all interested in. No 1 rule is never be unprepared for a class whoever you're teaching and especially children and teenagers because they soon realise the situation. Although you will almost most definitely learn on the job - whatever your age and however long you've been doing it - getting professionally prepared is a must if you want to do well. If you want to teach English as a second language you do need to study this. It's nothing like literacy and being an English speaker doesn't provide you with some of the understanding you'll need to teach it as a second language. There are short courses to do - over a weekend - and longer courses which can take anything from 6 weeks to 6 months. Decide what you'd like to do - and I think a weekend course to start with is a good one because it introduces the concepts of teaching ESOL and also lets you know if it's for you. We do a course like this in Warrington and at a cost of £200 it's well worth trying. Let me know if you want further details. Good luck with career choices but remember, taking shortcuts usually leads to dead ends.
Reply 13
Hello Liz Fairy. Good thread, I was one that pos rep'd you.

So my question is, I've heard about different types of TEFL. For example the Cambridge CELTA one where you study at a center full time and do 6 hours teaching experience, or just doing one online via the website. Does it matter which ones you do?

I'm a first year university student, but I'd love to teach in Japan or South Korea one day, whilst on the Korea applications I looked at it generally seemed to suggest an online one would be fine, for some of the perceived better schools in Japan, I believe that will only accepted people with a CELTA.

I think this is right, but I wanted to check your view. Don't take my word for this, it might be completely wrong, but I suppose my question is is it worth spending like £1k doing the CELTA one in London, or would a £300 online one suffice for the better jobs?
Original post by Eboracum
Hello Liz Fairy. Good thread, I was one that pos rep'd you.

So my question is, I've heard about different types of TEFL. For example the Cambridge CELTA one where you study at a center full time and do 6 hours teaching experience, or just doing one online via the website. Does it matter which ones you do?

I'm a first year university student, but I'd love to teach in Japan or South Korea one day, whilst on the Korea applications I looked at it generally seemed to suggest an online one would be fine, for some of the perceived better schools in Japan, I believe that will only accepted people with a CELTA.

I think this is right, but I wanted to check your view. Don't take my word for this, it might be completely wrong, but I suppose my question is is it worth spending like £1k doing the CELTA one in London, or would a £300 online one suffice for the better jobs?

Japan is certainly more selective regarding qualifications than countries like China and South Korea. The CELTA test is really for people who are truly dedicated, know they want to teach abroad (in pretty much any country), and are willing to part with the cash. If you have a university degree and some experience teaching, this may not matter so much, and a standard 120 hour TEFL can do the trick. For Japan, have you heard of the JET program (http://www.jetprogramme.org/)? I have heard of people doing this with just a university degree, with no teaching qualifications whatsoever. This isn't a long time project, lasting for only a year, though it does provide an opportunity work experience.

Usually organisations are against the online courses, unless they provide some class based activities, like TEFL England/Scotland.
Reply 15
Japan is certainly more selective regarding qualifications than countries like China and South Korea. The CELTA test is really for people who are truly dedicated, know they want to teach abroad (in pretty much any country), and are willing to part with the cash. If you have a university degree and some experience teaching, this may not matter so much, and a standard 120 hour TEFL can do the trick. For Japan, have you heard of the JET program (http://www.jetprogramme.org/)? I have heard of people doing this with just a university degree, with no teaching qualifications whatsoever. This isn't a long time project, lasting for only a year, though it does provide an opportunity work experience.

Usually organisations are against the online courses, unless they provide some class based activities, like TEFL England/Scotland.

Cool. Thanks for that Liz.

So the one you are currently doing, is it at a center, or do you do it online and go to a school arranged through your website to teach at?

I've not heard of the Jet program but that looks very good. Do you need teaching experience for this?

Which country are you hoping to teach in? And what made you want to do a TEFL, tell me more!

So the one you are currently doing, is it at a center, or do you do it online and go to a school arranged through your website to teach at?

I've not heard of the Jet program but that looks very good. Do you need teaching experience for this?

Which country are you hoping to teach in? And what made you want to do a TEFL, tell me more!

As discussed combining online and classroom based training is the best option unless as Liz says you are truly dedicated and know you want to teach abroad, when a CELTA is the answer. We provide a part online and part classroom based course and can then get you placed in either South Korea, Thailand or Georgia. Placements are taken over 2-3 times a year and there are jobs available now. This method costs in the region of £400 so not a great outlay which will take you to paid employment abroad. If you want more details let me know.
Reply 17
Original post by janet whitfield
As discussed combining online and classroom based training is the best option unless as Liz says you are truly dedicated and know you want to teach abroad, when a CELTA is the answer. We provide a part online and part classroom based course and can then get you placed in either South Korea, Thailand or Georgia. Placements are taken over 2-3 times a year and there are jobs available now. This method costs in the region of £400 so not a great outlay which will take you to paid employment abroad. If you want more details let me know.

Well I'm a first year university student so not right now. I was just wondering how it all worked.

I know that some companies sort you out fully furnished accommodation. Is this something you do? And how does the classrooms work, do you have certain schools people can go to to teach?

I have already completed the TEFL 120 hour course. I did it via TEFL Scotland, which is pretty cheap (20% discount for students) and is good in that it provides 20 hours in the classroom besides 100 hours online, fully monitored by online tutors.

I wanted to do TEFL for several reasons... As a language student it would be quite a good way of making money either on the side in a French speaking country in Italy, or as a full-time job if I decide I really like teaching. I have already found two jobs for next summer, one teaching English in a summer camp in Italy, the other in France.

I would also really like the opportunity to learn Chinese Mandarin or Japanese, whilst earning and living comfortably. I aim to do this for a year after graduating, and having done the TEFL now means I don't have to waste time later when I could be out of the country!

In which country/countries are you hoping to teach?
Reply 19
I have already completed the TEFL 120 hour course. I did it via TEFL Scotland, which is pretty cheap (20% discount for students) and is good in that it provides 20 hours in the classroom besides 100 hours online, fully monitored by online tutors.

I wanted to do TEFL for several reasons... As a language student it would be quite a good way of making money either on the side in a French speaking country in Italy, or as a full-time job if I decide I really like teaching. I have already found two jobs for next summer, one teaching English in a summer camp in Italy, the other in France.

I would also really like the opportunity to learn Chinese Mandarin or Japanese, whilst earning and living comfortably. I aim to do this for a year after graduating, and having done the TEFL now means I don't have to waste time later when I could be out of the country!

In which country/countries are you hoping to teach?

Thanks for this Liz. That is really interesting. So presumably you are a second/third year student studying languages, but rather than waiting till you finish you did a TEFL this Summer, so you can go and teach in Italy/France next Summer, does that sound about right?

So this TEFL Scotland you mention. You see I thought that there was a clear difference between doing at a center and doing it online, I didn't realise you could still do the qualification online and get to go and do some teaching experience in a classroom. So given that you've had the teaching experience, presumably your TEFL will be worth a lot more than just online ones and you will be able to go and teach pretty much anywhere you want?

You've obviously got your head screwed on. You see I am here at the University of York, first year student so I just got here. But already I am thinking that I would like to teach abroad for at least one/two years. So perhaps I would be better off doing a TEFL next Summer, instead of waiting till I finish my degree so I will be able to start straight away after uni, or the following Summer I will be able to go and teach abroad. You said you had teaching jobs for next Summer, how is that? I thought they were all only 12 month placements minimum?

Japan, South Korea and possibly China (although I've heard there are a few scams in China regarding this, so I'd be less keen to go there)

Quick Reply

Latest