The Student Room Group

Requirements for Oxbridge?

I'm in Year 11 so I'm simply curious,but I don't really understand how these kind of things work,if I wanted to study english or history at these unis what would I have to get at A level english lit,language,modern history and Re or classics (undecided) sorry if this is a stupid question or whatever :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why don't you go on their websites and look at their entry requirements?
Reply 2
5 A*s, and it helps if your uncle founded the college.

But seriously, you'd need at least AAA, and a lot subjects will ask for an A*. You also have to do well in your interview, etc.
Reply 3
Original post by izpenguin
Why don't you go on their websites and look at their entry requirements?

I have and I can't find much :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by dendodge

But seriously, you'd need at least AAA, and a lot subjects will ask for an A*. You also have to do well in your interview, etc.

I see,thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Experience always helps, things you've done to show your not just all brains like working, charities, traveling, sports, clubs ect

gl
Reply 8
Original post by D affy
Experience always helps, things you've done to show your not just all brains like working, charities, traveling, sports, clubs ect

gl

Helpful and polite,thanks I appreciate it!
Reply 9
Original post by D affy

gl

No, It doesn't.
Original post by dendodge

Second part of that is rubbish. Nepotism in admissions simply doesn't exist. I suppose you are just another ignorant with no idea of how things actually work.
Original post by D affy

gl

No, no really. They are looking for the best intellectuals, not the best allround people.
Reply 12
Original post by allypetal
Helpful and polite,thanks I appreciate it!

Yw

Original post by Azarimanka
No, no really. They are looking for the best intellectuals, not the best allround people.

I said it helps it doesn't gaurantee them a spot. Naturally they look for academics first but the all round side definetely is of large significance similar for all universities and jobs.
Original post by D affy
Yw

I said it helps it doesn't gaurantee them a spot. Naturally they look for academics first but the all round side definetely is of large significance similar for all universities and jobs.

Oxbridge is solely interested in Academics/quality of thinking, which is why they interview all candidates. It doesn't matter what else you have done.
Reply 14
Original post by D affy

Lies. Whilst one's participation in activities and charitable affairs may look good, it means nothing. Even if it reflects important academic qualities, like time management skills or perseverance, the admissions tutors are very unlikely to consider it when making a decision.

Original post by Azarimanka
Second part of that is rubbish. Nepotism in admissions simply doesn't exist. I suppose you are just another ignorant with no idea of how things actually work.

That was blatant sarcasm, but I agree. Your background not taken into account, and decisions are purely based upon academic merit.

Work hard, get more A*s than As at GCSE, get some good predicted grades and give it a shot.
Original post by D affy
I said it helps

Unfortunately that is where you went wrong. Both Oxford and Cambridge make it abundantly clear that they are interested solely in the academic ability and potential of candidates.
Reply 16
My bad
Reply 17
Original post by D affy

Not directly, as has been pointed out. To be clear, I wouldn't forego them for the sake of Oxbridge though - doing things outside of school is still good for personal development as IS relevant for all kinds of jobs. Don't jump hoops, but do enjoy yourself, basically.

I have and I can't find much :frown:

Learning some basic internet search skills might be a start then!

What would you like to know? The process and basic requirements are on the website. The take home message is that they are interested in top (not super-human) academic ability as illustrated by grades, admissions tests and interviews.
Reply 18
Original post by nexttime
Not directly, as has been pointed out. To be clear, I wouldn't forego them for the sake of Oxbridge though - doing things outside of school is still good for personal development as IS relevant for all kinds of jobs. Don't jump hoops, but do enjoy yourself, basically.

Learning some basic internet search skills might be a start then!

What would you like to know? The process and basic requirements are on the website. The take home message is that they are interested in top (not super-human) academic ability as illustrated by grades, admissions tests and interviews.

I have been looking on the websites but only briefly, I just wanted some kind of view or whatever. Thanks for the information! I'm just concerned because I know I'm going to scrape a B/A if I'm lucky in maths at GCSE, and only A's in Science, so I haven't a chance :frown:
Reply 19
I have been looking on the websites but only briefly, I just wanted some kind of view or whatever. Thanks for the information! I'm just concerned because I know I'm going to scrape a B/A if I'm lucky in maths at GCSE, and only A's in Science, so I haven't a chance :frown:

Surely its too early to be saying that. If you're concerned, use the motivation to work harder!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending