The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Holby_fanatic
I don't drink alcohol and I'm at Derwent. I am the type who will pass on a night out because I find it boring and I do hate fancy dress. However I'd say that choosing Derwent was the right thing because I've come out of my shell a little and I've made so many new friends! Doesn't help that I'm the only Welsh person about the place but still, you'd have an amazing time wherever you go! :smile:

Thanks, that's reassuring :smile:

What kind of accommodation are you in? I was originally planning to go for standard catered but I just found out that isn't actually an option. There are standard non-catered options in Derwent but the website says "There will be a mixture of under-graduates and post-graduates living in these blocks, so residents in this area need to be considerate of their neighbours and keep noise to a minimum" :frown:

I can't afford premium standard so the only other option would be economy standard, but when I went to the open day the economy standard rooms they showed us were, frankly, bad. The shower/toilet reminded me of a grubby cupboard. Kitchen was smaller than the actual rooms, which were big but I don't really need that... So all that's pretty offputting too. How are you finding it?
University of York
York
Reply 181
Original post by GlenGostlow
Hey everyone,

I Got an offer for BSc Environment, Economics and Ecology and am super excited! Anyone else doing it? I recieved an email from the head of the department saying they would like to give me an offer, but still no info from UCAS which is odd??

Hey, I will also be environmental department hopefully for environmental geography :smile: any ideas for which college you are interested in? :smile:
Reply 182
Original post by SimpleTom

Do you know which halls you want to apply to? I have a friend doing Economics at York at the moment and he says the East side is completely dead, so I am wondering if I should pick somewhere like Vanbrugh, Derwent is rough and ready haha, accommodation according to him is dreadful.

East side isn't as 'dead' as made out to be. During the day it is quiet as in there is not a lot people walking around etc, however at night the glasshouse (Langwith bar) and Goodricke common room are always full and on a Friday and Saturday night especially around Langwith their is a lot of music being played and a lot of people about. (Damn that's a long sentence)
Reply 183
All I can say is, there is a reason no one likes to use our school toilets, if York is the same I'll never forgive myself for not spending that little extra.

And I go to a supposedly posh school! They are bad everywhere, imagine what they will be like after every drunken night haha. no thanks!

Do you know which halls you want to apply to? I have a friend doing Economics at York at the moment and he says the East side is completely dead, so I am wondering if I should pick somewhere like Vanbrugh, Derwent is rough and ready haha, accommodation according to him is dreadful.

That is true, hopefully if I do go for shared it's something I'll just get used to like at school. There's so much choice I'm really not sure yet!
Reply 184
Hey,

Once I've got all my offers through, I shall be firming York for English Language and Linguistics. Any other Linguists? I went to the applicant day on Wednesday and really enjoyed it.

No idea which college to choose. Would like somewhere that's quiet but not devoid of any sort of social life!
Reply 185
Original post by Redolent
Hmmm... I'm facing a bit of a tough decision you might be able to weigh in on. On the one hand I would like to be in a sociable college where if I do want to go out or do something social I'll always have an opportunity to do so, and Derwent sounds good for that. I'm probably going to turn down Manchester for York so I feel like I ought to get the best out of York's student life that I possibly can :tongue: But on the other hand, looking at videos like that makes me feel like I might be a bit too... nerdy? I mean there's a bunch of obvious party people getting hyped up on their dancey dubstep stuff while I'm gonna be that weirdo who mostly enjoys chilling in his room to spacey dream pop and trip-hop albums. I can go either way but usually a fair amount of alcohol would need to be involved for me to properly appreciate a situation like that. And I've never liked fancy dress to be honest. Also, I'm the kind of person who really enjoys a night in with mates watching a movie or playing video games (not the COD and FIFA sort) so I'd like to think that's a common option too. I'm really not much of a "lad" and that sort of culture grates me when I'm not in the mood for it. What do you reckon?

I am leaning towards Derwent since I'm pretty used to hanging around party-goer types and I know they can be great company when you're wanting a big night, but I dunno if I would feel a bit isolated for my more introverted habits. It's mostly lad culture etc. I'm worried about, I can't think of anything I would have in common with a big, wild rugby player type or one of those "wooo let's go clubbing girlies!!! xoxo" girls.

Trying not to overanalyse since I know every college will have a fair mix, but yeah :colondollar:

I don't know why, when people say Derwent loves to party there's a tendency to assume we mean rugby socials and little else. The rugby social, when it does happen, is about 20 guys getting drunk and taking the piss out of each other, it's no legion of alcoholics with a mean streak dominating the college. I've never been on one, seen one, and I hardly know more than one or two members of the team and yet I manage to go out and have a good time at most if not all Derwent events. End of the day, Derwent has the most going on of all colleges by a mile...to the extent that there's jokes of secession being bandied around, and it's not all (or even mostly) sports socials. If you like less mainstream music Circulation, the alternative music magazine, is staffed largely by Derwent members. If you like quirky videogames I can't really help but I'm sure you'd easily find others who would too (there's a guy in my block who's been playing Skyrim, by my estimates, since October non-stop). As for movies, our JCR has more film showings in a week by different societies, the JCRC and etc. than most other colleges probably have in a term.

And then if you just want to join in a giant booze-up from time to time there's not really any better place. As far as the fancy dress is concerned I keep either forgetting to organize any or being too skint to afford any so I've turned up in the laziest possible outfits repeatedly and noone minded.

Just because Derwent are best in uni for parties doesn't mean that's all we can or want to do.
Original post by Eldedu
I don't know why, when people say Derwent loves to party there's a tendency to assume we mean rugby socials and little else. The rugby social, when it does happen, is about 20 guys getting drunk and taking the piss out of each other, it's no legion of alcoholics with a mean streak dominating the college. I've never been on one, seen one, and I hardly know more than one or two members of the team and yet I manage to go out and have a good time at most if not all Derwent events. End of the day, Derwent has the most going on of all colleges by a mile...to the extent that there's jokes of secession being bandied around, and it's not all (or even mostly) sports socials. If you like less mainstream music Circulation, the alternative music magazine, is staffed largely by Derwent members. If you like quirky videogames I can't really help but I'm sure you'd easily find others who would too (there's a guy in my block who's been playing Skyrim, by my estimates, since October non-stop). As for movies, our JCR has more film showings in a week by different societies, the JCRC and etc. than most other colleges probably have in a term.

That sounds really good. Kind of makes me wonder what the hell everyone else is doing to be honest. :tongue:

And then if you just want to join in a giant booze-up from time to time there's not really any better place. As far as the fancy dress is concerned I keep either forgetting to organize any or being too skint to afford any so I've turned up in the laziest possible outfits repeatedly and noone minded.

Hahaha, that's me in a nutshell.

I guess it's just the accommodation itself left that's bothering me, I didn't like it when I visited at the open day, the bathrooms in particular seemed really grotty. How is it for you? I figure I will just grin and bear it for the year but it definitely feels like it will be a compromise (talking economy standard here).

Also I just noticed you're studying PPE which is what I'll be doing :smile: How's the course so far?

Sorry for seeming like such an interviewer, I just have an unfortunate habit of over-speculating.
Reply 187
Hello :smile: Ive put York as my firm choice studying Biology with a year in industry. I hope to get accommodation in Vanburgh. Cant wait ! :biggrin: x
Reply 188
Original post by Daisy121
I had to choose between York and Warwick too! I chose York mostly because of the course (Writing, Directing and Performing) but although the Warwick campus is great I hear that Coventry is not a pleasant place to go out in- it's very rough apparently. And York is such a nice city (it has a Viking museum- what more do you need?) and the people seemed very genuine and passionate about the uni.

:smile:

4th safest city in the UK !! in a City with well over 350,000 residents and 50,000 students.... dont believe everything you "hear" come and see.

York is a town by comparison.
Reply 189
Original post by Redolent
That sounds really good. Kind of makes me wonder what the hell everyone else is doing to be honest. :tongue:

Hahaha, that's me in a nutshell.

I guess it's just the accommodation itself left that's bothering me, I didn't like it when I visited at the open day, the bathrooms in particular seemed really grotty. How is it for you? I figure I will just grin and bear it for the year but it definitely feels like it will be a compromise (talking economy standard here).

Also I just noticed you're studying PPE which is what I'll be doing :smile: How's the course so far?

Sorry for seeming like such an interviewer, I just have an unfortunate habit of over-speculating.

The accomodation is definitely some of the worst in the uni, but you really do get used to it. It's also not necessarily as unclean as just plain old. If anything, it just makes going back to decent showers and kitchens a thrill. If your top concern is room quality though, I can't honestly recommend Derwent.

The course is fantastic, so far my main issues are with lecturer objectivity (the right-wing never gets a fair rap in lectures, and some lecturers are outright extremists) and a tendency for some lecturers to read from lecture slides which they haven't even written (which begs the question of their function). Overall, PPE is the most interesting course at the uni, quite well taught and produces some of Yorks most employable and well-rounded graduates. Plus the Club of PEP has some sick events.
Original post by Eldedu
The accomodation is definitely some of the worst in the uni, but you really do get used to it. It's also not necessarily as unclean as just plain old. If anything, it just makes going back to decent showers and kitchens a thrill. If your top concern is room quality though, I can't honestly recommend Derwent.

The course is fantastic, so far my main issues are with lecturer objectivity (the right-wing never gets a fair rap in lectures, and some lecturers are outright extremists) and a tendency for some lecturers to read from lecture slides which they haven't even written (which begs the question of their function). Overall, PPE is the most interesting course at the uni, quite well taught and produces some of Yorks most employable and well-rounded graduates. Plus the Club of PEP has some sick events.

This is debatable. :tongue:
Probably going to be firming York for English and Related Literature, so thought I'd pop up and say hi! :smile: Hoping for accommodation in either James or Alcuin.
Original post by Kimiechi
Probably going to be firming York for English and Related Literature, so thought I'd pop up and say hi! :smile: Hoping for accommodation in either James or Alcuin.

*High five!* :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
hia everyone :smile: im pretty sure i will be firming York tomorrow :biggrin: just wandering if any current york students could help me out by answering these questions http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2274910 thanx it will help me feel more confident in firming york!

oh yeh i will be doing chemistry, so hi to all you fellow chemists :wavey:
Most probably will firm York for sociology and social psychology... Anyone else studying this? And what block will be best?
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apparently a few of the newer colleges are suffering from lack of hot water and heating and that people are asking their money back for the accommodation.

Just something you might want to consider when picking a college. Langwith sounds problem free :biggrin:
Reply 196
Thinking of firming for Accounting, business finance and management with a year in industry. But I want to go somewhere really lively and sociable, is York a decent night out and is there a lot to do? Been told its quite boring, which really makes it not the sort of place for me as I love clubbing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apparently a few of the newer colleges are suffering from lack of hot water and heating and that people are asking their money back for the accommodation.

Just something you might want to consider when picking a college. Langwith sounds problem free :biggrin:

Langwith is the newest accommodation on campus right now...
Reply 198
I'll be firming for Avionics at York (I got a conditional offer, but if I don't make the MEng, they transfer you to BEng? So it said on the letter)

So yeah - super excited! Any other electronics students? We all share lectures!

But I'll be studying with my three year old son in tow :smile: so going for family accommodation. Anyone have experience of the family places?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vicky39
Hello :smile: Ive put York as my firm choice studying Biology with a year in industry. I hope to get accommodation in Vanburgh. Cant wait ! :biggrin: x

Same here! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending