The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Firmers 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cuki
I'm in family accommodation - hoping mine will be a little bigger... We'll see :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yes, it will be :smile: two of my friends live in couples' accommodation, and they have a reasonably big living room area, with plenty of space for a piano.
University of York
York
Original post by Abster28

Have an offer for Writing, Directing and Performance too, I'm struggling to decide out of that and drama and scriptwriting at Northumbria ! What made you choose York in particular ? :smile:

I just loved the facilities York had to offer. I applied to Leeds and Bristol as well and they couldn't compare (Leeds is my insurance choice). The course content as well means I can develop my skills in the 3 areas before I decide what I want to do next; whether that's apply to drama schools or use what I've learnt to help me become a Primary School teacher or something completely different!

The campus as well I loved and the city as well. I don't live too far away from York so I know how lovely the city is and the different shops, etc.

In the end I wrote down pros and cons for all 3 of choices and then wrote down what I considered the most important things to be when choosing my firm and insurance. For me the course content and how it enabled me to further my ambitions for a career was the most important. The accommodation and surrounding area, although important, I would compromise on if the course content was amazing!

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions then feel free to ask and I'll be happy to answer them :biggrin:
Reply 382
Original post by Aurora80185
I just loved the facilities York had to offer. I applied to Leeds and Bristol as well and they couldn't compare (Leeds is my insurance choice). The course content as well means I can develop my skills in the 3 areas before I decide what I want to do next; whether that's apply to drama schools or use what I've learnt to help me become a Primary School teacher or something completely different!

The campus as well I loved and the city as well. I don't live too far away from York so I know how lovely the city is and the different shops, etc.

In the end I wrote down pros and cons for all 3 of choices and then wrote down what I considered the most important things to be when choosing my firm and insurance. For me the course content and how it enabled me to further my ambitions for a career was the most important. The accommodation and surrounding area, although important, I would compromise on if the course content was amazing!

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions then feel free to ask and I'll be happy to answer them :biggrin:

Thought I'd finally sign up! I'm on the same boat. Have offers at both Leeds for Theatre and Performance and York for Writing, Directing and Performance and I really can't decide which one to firm. Both courses look amazing but I just feel a bit drawn to Leeds. Gah, dilemma's eh? Did any of you two have to attend an interview?
Some quick questions for the current students hanging around this thread:
- How do you know which let length to pick? I'm definitely not picking the 34 week one because 'll need my room for storage over Easter, but how long does the academic year last, including the holidays except the for obviously the summer one?
- Do all non en suite rooms still come with sinks?
- How bad are the standard rooms?
- Is the Derwent accommodation really that bad on the whole? The room I was shown on the post offer day actually seemed quite nice, but of course I'm wary of only being shown the "nice" bits so I accept my offer. :tongue:
-Which college/ room type do you think offers best value for money?
- Just to check, there are shop within walking distance of the university, right?

Thanks to anyone who answers, and also to any users who helped out with the post offer days. :smile:
Firmed my Computer Science and Maths degree with year in industry at York :smile: I have no idea what college I want to go to but at least there's plenty of time to decide! Nice to meet you all! :colondollar:

Original post by dark-blue
- How bad are the standard rooms?

I can't offer much as help, as all of the accommodation kinda blurred into one, but there was nowhere that stuck out as particularly bad, or I wouldn't want to live in when I looked at them all, so I wouldn't worry about that. :smile:
Reply 385
Original post by YeahMark
Thought I'd finally sign up! I'm on the same boat. Have offers at both Leeds for Theatre and Performance and York for Writing, Directing and Performance and I really can't decide which one to firm. Both courses look amazing but I just feel a bit drawn to Leeds. Gah, dilemma's eh? Did any of you two have to attend an interview?

I didn't have to attend an interview, I haven't actually been to the campus yet but hoping to soon! I'm from Leeds so it's not to far away and have been to York before , it's a lovely city! I do think york's facilities are really impressive though :smile: I'm not sure how lively York is compared to Newcastle which is why I'm struggling to decide, also don't know whether being so close to home is a positive or negative :/
Reply 386
Original post by Aurora80185

I'm from Leeds so I know York fairly well, I'm not sure how lively it would be compared to Newcastle which is one of my struggles! Also not sure whether moving as close as York would be a positive or negative !:tongue:
Original post by DolallyDucky

I can't offer much as help, as all of the accommodation kinda blurred into one, but there was nowhere that stuck out as particularly bad, or I wouldn't want to live in when I looked at them all, so I wouldn't worry about that. :smile:

See you made it to this thread in the end. :wink:

Thanks for your input, I was a bit wary as I only got to see one room on the post-offer day, and finances mean I'll be looking at the cheaper options. And yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about deciding on colleges/ accommodation just yet, we won't be able to apply until August anyway. :smile:
Original post by dark-blue
See you made it to this thread in the end. :wink:

Thanks for your input, I was a bit wary as I only got to see one room on the post-offer day, and finances mean I'll be looking at the cheaper options. And yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about deciding on colleges/ accommodation just yet, we won't be able to apply until August anyway. :smile:

Yes I did! Thank you for that :tongue:
I'll be looking at the Heslington East accommodation for the ducks :wink:
Original post by DolallyDucky
Yes I did! Thank you for that :tongue:
I'll be looking at the Heslington East accommodation for the ducks :wink:

Ducks :biggrin:

I've heard the accommodation is quite good there, being the newest, but I'm looking at Hes West as I don't really fancy getting the bus (even if it's free) every time I have a lecture/ seminar/ course related thing.

But I'm pretty sure I'll still be surrounded by plenty of waterfowl anyhow; there were quite a lot of geese of the open day. :tongue:

Edit: Just realised what your username is...
(edited 11 years ago)
Anyone feeling helpful? I'm undecided on which college to apply to. I've firmed York for History, and providing I can sort out my disastrous English Lit situation, I would like to think I'll be in York by autumn.

But yeah, I've flirted with Alcuin, James and Derwent, but I essentially have no idea where I want to be.

Alcuin looks good on the basis that the accommodation looks nice and the buildings are modern. However, I have concerns about how lively it is - I'm quite social, and I'd be disappointed if there wasn't much going on. It also seems to have a reputation for being posh, although I'm sure this is baseless (?).

James looks good because it's mostly modern, has 2 common rooms and is centrally located. However, I'm a bit worried about the high proportion of international students. I'd love to meet people from all around the world, but whenever I go to an open day or talk to friends at uni, the overbearing emphasis is on Chinese students keeping to themselves and not really mingling with anyone else, which doesn't sound like much fun. No idea how true this is.

Derwent looks good because it has the reputation for being socially orientated and having a party atmosphere, which sounds great. However, the obvious drawbacks associated with quality of accommodation spring to mind.

I'm probably over-thinking it all, as it's not a big deal, but if someone could satiate my procrastinatory obsession, that'd be just dandy :smile:.
Reply 391

Hi, I started at Leeds last September and have re-applied this year and have firmed my offer at York - I absolutely hated Leeds, I was expecting it to be so great and fun but the teachers were distant and unhelpful and badly organised, and on top of this the social atmosphere was a bit clique-y and try-hard. Two of my closest friends I made there have dropped out as well, and I know at least two more people who also want to leave. If you want the advice from someone who's experienced it, I'd definitely recommend not firming Leeds! :smile:
Reply 392
I just firmed film- and television production at York! :eek:
I think Langwith looks good- any opinions? Should i prioritize being "on campus", or being close to the department?
Original post by toffus
I think Langwith looks good- any opinions? Should i prioritize being "on campus", or being close to the department?

Buses are free and regular so I'd suggest being on campus :smile:
Original post by lucy3003
Thank you for the answers!! been helpful :smile: Would you say James college is a bit too far from the chemistry department? By any chance know if many chemists at James? And would you say that Alcuin is a bit too quiet a college or is it still fairly sociable a college??

James is a maximum of 10 minutes away from the department and I always see a big bunch of Chemists from James walk to lectures so there's obviously a fair few of them. The only colleges I would say are too far away are Goodricke and Langwith, but that's only because their on Hes East.

Umm, from what I've seen people who live in Alcuin are outgoing but the college on the whole is a bit quiet. College accommodation really is what you make of it and I really do feel you'll have a great time wherever you go. :smile:
Original post by toffus

I'm having similar thoughts. Goodricke looks quite good as well, but I think I'm gonna wanna stay at East Heslington at least.

N.B. firmed on the same course - Hi!
Reply 396
Original post by dobby_pullen
I'm having similar thoughts. Goodricke looks quite good as well, but I think I'm gonna wanna stay at East Heslington at least.

Hi! Nice to talk to someone on the same course :smile:

Yeah, Goodricke and Langwith looks nice. It seems really practical to live nearby the department, but I'm worried it'll be a little isolated.
(edited 11 years ago)

I didn't attend an interview for York but did for Leeds :smile: I firmed York over leeds because the content leaned to theatre rather community work though i love the course at Leeds :smile:
Original post by Abster28
I'm from Leeds so I know York fairly well, I'm not sure how lively it would be compared to Newcastle which is one of my struggles! Also not sure whether moving as close as York would be a positive or negative !:tongue:

yes i was like that I'm still not convinced York is far enough away but i can't fault the facilities so ive compromised on the distance from home :tongue:
Reply 399
Original post by toffus
Hi! Nice to talk to someone on the same course :smile:

Yeah, Goodricke and Langwith looks nice. It seems really practical to live nearby the department, but I'm worried it'll be a little isolated.

Original post by dobby_pullen

I wouldn't be worried about being isolated, as someone who travels to main campus everyday it hasn't bothered me in the slightest. Langwith seems to have more of a social atmosphere than Goodricke however both colleges are really nice. Any questions about Heslington East/Langwith just ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending