The Student Room Group

Attitude of University graduates to work.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AreebWithaHat
Graduates need to get off their high horse, most of them are un-employable with no experience, no people skills and no initiative and they expect a 20k job straight out of uni?

Just lol, good luck with that...

Most?
Reply 61
Original post by ssxx
I go to a top 10 Russell group university and do a science degree, I would never do a job which paid less then £28,000 as a starting salary.

Okay......
Just out of curiosity which uni do you go to? and also what degree are you doing which you claim will get you a job with a starting salary of or more £28,000?
Original post by electriic_ink
Most?

The number of graduates with degrees in English, media and other crap far exceeds the medics, mathematicians, scientists etc.
The number of graduates with degrees in English, media and other crap far exceeds the medics, mathematicians, scientists etc.

But they're not unemployable because most graduates are in jobs.
Original post by electriic_ink
But they're not unemployable because most graduates are in jobs.

Not graduate jobs though which is what most graduates would want I presume. Most are in dead end jobs and remain there for the rest of their lives.
Reply 65
Original post by uktotalgamer
Thought this may be an interesting discussion.

What do you find is the general attitude of university graduates to work? From things I've heard, friends I have etc there seems to be a certain snobbery. Perfect example is the program on BBC1. Nick and Margaret's We Pay Your Benefits. University graduate with a media degree expects to be on £20000 a year etc while he has no experience? Baring in mind his degree is in media.... I don't know what he expects. You need experience of working.

I grew up with the attitude of a job is a job. I'd rather have a job than be on the dole.

In short, if your going to get a degree, don't expect to just walk into a fantastic job, the real world doesn't work like that.

I'd be happy with anything over £16K.

I have a science degree and a Masters in Research.

A minimum wage job in an unrelated field would be a bit much for me though, not that I would get one with the competition atm, I'd get the whole 'overqualified' spiel.
Reply 66
Original post by SophieSmall
It's not that they're impossible to come by, it's more that the competition is quite high due to the finances and what not. I'd probably be able to save up enough money over the next year to fund 1 year of postgraduate maybe, but proper research can take longer...sometimes a lot longer. I guess I will just have to hope, wait and see. Good luck with yours.

I don't think it's that difficult, I've been offered one and got down to the final few people for another in the past few months. I turned it down though because I need some time out from research.

I do have (or will do come September) a research masters though.
Reply 67
Reminds me of:

(edited 10 years ago)
Not graduate jobs though which is what most graduates would want I presume. Most are in dead end jobs and remain there for the rest of their lives.

Classic lack of linguistic precision leading to goalpost shifting there...

"Most are unemployable"

"But most are employed"

"Oh errrrr not in jobs they want"

Spot the Science student.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
Classic lack of linguistic precision leading to goalpost shifting there...

"Most are unemployable"

"But most are employed"

"Oh errrrr not in jobs they want"

Spot the Science student.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol you're right :facepalm:
lol you're right :facepalm:

Also thanks for leaving my subject off your crap list :wink:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
Also thanks for leaving my subject off your crap list :wink:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha what subject is it? :tongue:
haha what subject is it? :tongue:

I did Politics back at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Such an obvious no true Scotsman.

Anyway, I'm sure the ones that don't get "real" jobs upon graduation find their degree useful later on when vying for management positions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending