The Student Room Group

Grad Scheme.... 1 week and debating quitting.

Ok so before everyone gives me a load of bull like "oh you're so lucky, there are no jobs around so be happy with what you have", I know very well how hard it is and competitive to get jobs right now so I don't need to be told this.

Anyway, I have completed a Business IT degree but with more technical units and less business... Applied to many technology companies for grad schemes and ended up working for a large engineering company. Salary is ok, manager seems ok, location is good for me but in all honestly I hate it.

I have been there roughly a week or so and feel like just walking away. I think this is partially because I really didn't want a business/IT job in the first place but had decided it was the logical step to take just to see if I enjoyed it. Basically after a week of hearing about 'pain points, priorities, slide decks, cross tower competencies and big wins' I really don't want to be in this environment. I hate the whole environment with pointless meetings, conference calls and ridiculous processes that go along with a large enterprise organisation.

To be fair to the company and for my sanity should I just say I don't want to continue and I'm sorry for wasting their time? Or should I drink a bottle of vodka each day and see how long I last and take their money?

I know it is stupid but I got a 1st at uni but have lost direction. I really don't want to work with computers although previously I have ran my own self employed business selling/repairing computers for small business that I really enjoyed.

I feel now I want a career in retail or something totally different, i.e construction/mechanics which I already have a lot of experience with. Anyone else tried a business/office job and just hate the environment and want out?

I know I did my degree to better myself but now I feel it was wasted :frown: , I also feel like I will be letting my girlfriend down if I don't stick at a high paid job.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think 1 week is not enough time to make this decision. Give it 2 or 3 months at least.
Reply 2
The first week is the hardest, in my opinion. Thrown into a full time job from uni, nothing really prepares you for that big shock. That coupled with the stresses of meeting new people, a huge learning curve to climb and make a good impression at the same time - it's daunting to say the least.

Bearing that in mind, it's worth sticking it out for a bit to get a proper grasp of working life. You've worked hard to get this job, why throw it all away on first impressions? You could find you like the people, or stick around for a year and get some good experience to move into something else. Certainly by the first week, you're so new that you've hardly had a chance to stop to get a real grasp of it.

As the above poster says, give it a few months at least first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds similar to my situation, although I haven't accepted the job offer yet. Basically contemplating myself whether to accept this graduate scheme I don't really want/would only do for a year or to take a gamble and relentlessly apply to all of the graduate schemes in Finance and IB that interest me. After hearing your story and considering my options, I feel I'm going to pursue my dream vacancies and turn down the offer. If you have the money to live on, I would quit and pursue your dream job as I know if I accepted the scheme I have on offer I wouldn't be able to make the quality & quantity of applications for the positions I really want, which would jeopardize my chances of landing my dream job. Tough decision to make.

Original post by smithy2323
Ok so before everyone gives me a load of bull like "oh you're so lucky, there are no jobs around so be happy with what you have", I know very well how hard it is and competitive to get jobs right now so I don't need to be told this.

Anyway, I have completed a Business IT degree but with more technical units and less business... Applied to many technology companies for grad schemes and ended up working for a large engineering company. Salary is ok, manager seems ok, location is good for me but in all honestly I hate it.

I have been there roughly a week or so and feel like just walking away. I think this is partially because I really didn't want a business/IT job in the first place but had decided it was the logical step to take just to see if I enjoyed it. Basically after a week of hearing about 'pain points, priorities, slide decks, cross tower competencies and big wins' I really don't want to be in this environment. I hate the whole environment with pointless meetings, conference calls and ridiculous processes that go along with a large enterprise organisation.

To be fair to the company and for my sanity should I just say I don't want to continue and I'm sorry for wasting their time? Or should I drink a bottle of vodka each day and see how long I last and take their money?

I know it is stupid but I got a 1st at uni but have lost direction. I really don't want to work with computers although previously I have ran my own self employed business selling/repairing computers for small business that I really enjoyed.

I feel now I want a career in retail or something totally different, i.e construction/mechanics which I already have a lot of experience with. Anyone else tried a business/office job and just hate the environment and want out?

I know I did my degree to better myself but now I feel it was wasted :frown: , I also feel like I will be letting my girlfriend down if I don't stick at a high paid job.
Definitely wait at least until the 3 month mark. 1 week is not enough time to make this decision to quit.

Anyway, I have completed a Business IT degree but with more technical units and less business...

I really don't want to work with computers

...?
Reply 6
Original post by Get_Lucky_606
...?

Sorry I wasn't very clear there! Basically after being in education since Btec level studying computers I really want a change. I always dreamed of a career as a network engineer at Uni but now my heart is not in it and I want a totally different career. If I do leave, any ideas how to tell the boss? Email etc?
Cheers
I'd give it some time, as others have said. It's a big step from uni to full-time work, and typically the first few weeks of a 'proper' job is wretched, especially if (as it sounds) it's your first real job. The ghastly buzzwords you describe can be found in most organisations, and the atmosphere in most organisations is 'businessy', irrespective of what you're doing there.

A week isn't long enough to decide. I've had a few jobs which I hated after a week and grew to love. You mould the position to yourself, add your own working practices and develop your own methods of doing things. It's quite normal at first to be following someone else's practices, which may or may not suit you, but after time it's possible to make most jobs 'your own'. If this seems bad, retail is ten times worse.

Either way, I'd stick it out for a while and see how you feel after three months or so. The alternative is a gap on the CV (assuming you leave this job off) or a negative-looking job hop (if you leave it on).
Sorry I wasn't very clear there! Basically after being in education since Btec level studying computers I really want a change. I always dreamed of a career as a network engineer at Uni but now my heart is not in it and I want a totally different career. If I do leave, any ideas how to tell the boss? Email etc?
Cheers

Fair enough mate - IT can have that effect haha I felt like that for a while but decided to stick with it since it's what I know now. Just be straight up with them, that the job is not for you or just ask if you could have a quick chat. Best to tell them sooner rather than later !
Reply 9
Original post by Get_Lucky_606
Fair enough mate - IT can have that effect haha I felt like that for a while but decided to stick with it since it's what I know now. Just be straight up with them, that the job is not for you or just ask if you could have a quick chat. Best to tell them sooner rather than later !

Yea exactly! Life is too short to be miserable I think. Going to be an awkward conversation if I do decide to quit, might just leave a letter in my laptop bag and hand it in.

@Russel,

I have worked full time before but I think you're right it is taking a long time to adjust back to working life. As for the 'buzzwords' they are killing me, in fact I feel like laughing about the way everyone talks to each other it is ridiculous.
I work in IT and I have never come across those buzzwords. Maybe It's the culture of the company rather than the industry itself that you are not fond of?
Yea exactly! Life is too short to be miserable I think. Going to be an awkward conversation if I do decide to quit, might just leave a letter in my laptop bag and hand it in.

@Russel,

I have worked full time before but I think you're right it is taking a long time to adjust back to working life. As for the 'buzzwords' they are killing me, in fact I feel like laughing about the way everyone talks to each other it is ridiculous.

Haha yeah it depends where you work. My old manager used to throw out 'blue sky thinking' and all those management phrases, did my head in

@Depth of Field Yeah I think it definitely depends where you are/whether your manager is one of 'those' types
Reply 12

I know your feels. I once had an office job. It was boring as hell, I don't know how people do it. You sit in front of a desk typing and filling out spreadsheets for 8 hours a day. It's like a never ending boring IT lesson at school. One day I went on break, my brain just didn't want to go back and I ended up coming back 3 hours late. Decided that was the time to quit. I have done completely different work in the field of engineering and while it was a lot harder it was way more fun. I worked on the London Underground repairing trains for a while, it was backbreaking greasy work but at least you got to move around, fiddle with engineering gadgets, make stuff and the breaks were far longer and more enjoyable because yo didn't have to take them at your desk with your boss pressuring you with eye contact to type while you eat. I went and listened to my dad who was dead against manual work so didn't go for the engineering apprenticeship with the underground. That's how I ended up being stuck in that crappy office job for a year.
I'm going to say it.

You're lucky you've secured a graduate job with an "ok salary" and to be honest 1 week is no time to decide you despise it.

Stick it out, it'll get better and change you perspective on it, the more pessimistic you feel about it, the more your judgement is clouded.
Do you know what really annoys me? Ok, you're unhappy in a job, ive been there many a time and it's a cr@p feeling, but............

I am a recent Business graduate with 12 years experience, and I don't doubt whatsoever, that I get knocked back from grad schemes so companies can take on the younger ones and mould them into what they want. Candidates like me have a strong work ethic and a history of sticking at jobs, yet for younger grad's who haven't experienced commercial office life, after 1 week or two months, they can't hack it. It really pi$$es me off. It's the company's loss though I suppose.

Stick at it, you've barely given it enough time.
Reply 15
Original post by ScouseEmma28
Do you know what really annoys me? Ok, you're unhappy in a job, ive been there many a time and it's a cr@p feeling, but............

I am a recent Business graduate with 12 years experience, and I don't doubt whatsoever, that I get knocked back from grad schemes so companies can take on the younger ones and mould them into what they want. Candidates like me have a strong work ethic and a history of sticking at jobs, yet for younger grad's who haven't experienced commercial office life, after 1 week or two months, they can't hack it. It really pi$$es me off. It's the company's loss though I suppose.

Stick at it, you've barely given it enough time.

12 years of having a strong work ethic is great.... 12 years of sticking at a job you despise is a waste of life just so you can say "I have a strong work ethic".

Fair point though, I will give it a little longer.
Reply 16
also.... if I did leave in under a month of employment would it be likely that a large company would pay me for my time there? Tbh I wouldn't expect them to, I mean I have hardly 'contributed' to much.... just wondered :/

Is that company Siemans by any chance?
also.... if I did leave in under a month of employment would it be likely that a large company would pay me for my time there? Tbh I wouldn't expect them to, I mean I have hardly 'contributed' to much.... just wondered :/

A month is useless.

how much is it paid? how much does the salary mean to you?. I'd say stick at it if the wage is good and then save up and start something of your own. Within the tech market there is a lot of money to be made (dont mind the username).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending