The Student Room Group

What Subjects Should I Take For GCSE?

When I'm older, I would like to be either a politician or a lawyer - simply because they're both jobs that interest me and, if done by the right people, can help people. I am 12 right now so I have a long time to wait but I'm choosing my GCSE options in December so I'd like to know which subjects I should take to be able to follow that career path.

The course I'd like to take is the PPE course at Oxford University. The subjects I'm best at are English, IT and Maths and the subjects I'm worst at are Science, Art and Music.

Please get back to me on this,
Matthew

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello I'm currently at college so I hope I can help you.. If you are going to college to study A Levels i would strongly suggest taking Law, Psychology, English Lit/Lang (or both) or maybe sociology! I don't know what your options are for GCSE's but I would take a language and also a humanities (History/geography). Other than that i'm not too sure... You need to make sure you do well in english, maths and science as they are the main subject. In order to do Psychology you need at least a C in science (at most colleges). Otherwise i would seriously concentrate on English. Universities DO look at english and so does college. And when i was at school i was told universities are looking for a humanities or language and i believe doing both at GCSE would be perfect.
Reply 2
Thank you very much for your post :smile: I'm worried about my languages GCSE because I'm doing French right now and I'm not doing great - I would much prefer German or Polish. I don't know much about psychology or sociology because I haven't studied them yet but they sound good. And as for humanities, I'm okay at history and geography, but not particularly great at either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
My school don't actually offer many non-academic subjects - only art, music and sports and I don't think I'll be taking those :smile: As I'm only in Year 8, I haven't studied social sciences yet, but they sound good - though unfortunately I'm not very good at the normal three sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Plod
When I'm older, I would like to be either a politician or a lawyer - simply because they're both jobs that interest me and, if done by the right people, can help people. I am 12 right now so I have a long time to wait but I'm choosing my GCSE options in December so I'd like to know which subjects I should take to be able to follow that career path.

The course I'd like to take is the PPE course at Oxford University. The subjects I'm best at are English, IT and Maths and the subjects I'm worst at are Science, Art and Music.

Matthew

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that your actual GCSE subjects do not matter. What matters is your grades, your AS subjects and their grades.

Take what you enjoy and what you are good at and confident in getting a A*/A/B, but make sure there is a wide range of subjects - history, geography, RS, ICT, Business Studies etc. It really does not matter the subjects but definitely have a humanities in there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For Oxbridge entry, it doesn't really matter what subjects you do until A Level. Just focus on getting As and A*s. For Law or Politics, I would recommend a language, a humanities, and triple science (since your aiming for Oxford). Stay clear of subjects like Sociology, Business Studies and Media as they aren't very 'strong'. As I said it doesn't really matter what subjects you do, just be careful.
Reply 6
I have never known so many mature people from Year 7 and 8...

But do History and Sociology, ask your teachers for advice, when I was 12 I wanted to work at Mercedes Benz in Germany as a designer, I even taught my self German, which was pretty fun, I actually enjoyed it, but that dream finished because I soon realised it wasn't for me, you still have lots of time to consider what you want to do in the future however.
Reply 7
Original post by H_Aple
For Oxbridge entry, it doesn't really matter what subjects you do until A Level. Just focus on getting As and A*s. For Law or Politics, I would recommend a language, a humanities, and triple science (since your aiming for Oxford). Stay clear of subjects like Sociology, Business Studies and Media as they aren't very 'strong'. As I said it doesn't really matter what subjects you do, just be careful.

I wasn't exactly aiming for Oxford or Cambridge but it would be nice if I worked hard, but would it be difficult for me, I'm not doing any of those for GCSE...
Bro its GCSE's if you want to be a lawyer i would suggest history and a language then 2 other subjects your good at and or enjoy. Aslong as you do good in English then your fine :biggrin:
I want to be a lawyer too and im doing History,spanish,geog and Catering (dt food)
Reply 10
Original post by 3razy
I have never known so many mature people from Year 7 and 8...

But do History and Sociology, ask your teachers for advice, when I was 12 I wanted to work at Mercedes Benz in Germany as a designer, I even taught my self German, which was pretty fun, I actually enjoyed it, but that dream finished because I soon realised it wasn't for me, you still have lots of time to consider what you want to do in the future however.

I've changed my "future career" about a million times in the past couple of years, though I never went for being a footballer or something like that. I have heard that history is good for the PPE course so I think I'll be taking that. And also, I wish I had chosen German to do at school, because unlike you I'm struggling at teaching myself.
Reply 11
Original post by H_Aple

To be honest, I'm really crap at the three sciences - I just can't seem to get the hang of them. Would you say they'd be better for law or politics? And also, is business studies no considered "strong". I thought that would be a good one to take so if my two big dreams don't work out, I'll have something to fall back on.
Reply 12
Original post by Mr Plod

Matthew

Posted from TSR Mobile

For GCSE, just make sure you get a high A*/A count, even if this means taking easy ones. The most important ones are maths, englishes, languages, history, geography.

For A level, you should take Maths(+FM if you want), history, and any other 2 (i.e. economics, english lit)

The advice given previously to take sociology or law is a very bad idea. They are not respected - least of all by Oxford.
Reply 13
I'm worried about how young the users of this site are sometimes lol
Reply 14
For GCSEs, the choice isn't crucial, but if you're aiming for the top universities, you should try and stay within this list: http://www.clare.cam.ac.uk/subjectchoice-alevelchoice/

Again, one or two that are not on there are fine for GCSE, but for A-level it would be better to stick to that list.
Reply 15
Original post by Mr Plod
Thank you very much for your post :smile: I'm worried about my languages GCSE because I'm doing French right now and I'm not doing great - I would much prefer German or Polish. I don't know much about psychology or sociology because I haven't studied them yet but they sound good. And as for humanities, I'm okay at history and geography, but not particularly great at either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was horrible with geography but I came out with a C which is good enough! I'm doing Psychology in college and I knew nothing about it but it's okay not to know you will learn and it's the same with sociology! ask to do German or Polish they should let you if you are fluent etc!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Mr Plod
My school don't actually offer many non-academic subjects - only art, music and sports and I don't think I'll be taking those :smile: As I'm only in Year 8, I haven't studied social sciences yet, but they sound good - though unfortunately I'm not very good at the normal three sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

biology chemistry and physics have really nothing to do with social sciences although they can only play a small part

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Lucy_95
I think that your actual GCSE subjects do not matter. What matters is your grades, your AS subjects and their grades.

Take what you enjoy and what you are good at and confident in getting a A*/A/B, but make sure there is a wide range of subjects - history, geography, RS, ICT, Business Studies etc. It really does not matter the subjects but definitely have a humanities in there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well really gcses do matter because it depends on your gcses whether you can do the courses you want at college like in psychology you need science etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Plod
To be honest, I'm really crap at the three sciences - I just can't seem to get the hang of them. Would you say they'd be better for law or politics? And also, is business studies no considered "strong". I thought that would be a good one to take so if my two big dreams don't work out, I'll have something to fall back on.

Triple science is academic and that's what Oxford likes to see, but do not take it if you don't think you can manage it- you need good grades.

Business Studies is considered a 'softer' subject, but don't let that become a barrier between you and Oxford if your good at the subject. I would not recommend taking it to A Level though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by proTROPER
well really gcses do matter because it depends on your gcses whether you can do the courses you want at college like in psychology you need science etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

at my school, science did not count as one of your options so I didn't think of that

Quick Reply

Latest