The Student Room Group

What should I do?

I was just wondering, I'd like to do medicine, but I know that I might not be able to cope with the demands of the course. The problem is, I don't want teachers/tutors etc. to know about my medical record (history of anxiety disorders amongst others) and they'll want to know why I don't think I'll be able to do medicine. Should I let them know my record could hinder my chances of getting into a "stressful" course such as this? I mean, 6th form teachers supposedly spend more time with the students (right?), so is it important to mention for ucas applications etc.? (I'm a bit ashamed of it)
Reply 1
You tutors will not know, unless a) it's an active problem or b) you tell them...

I have quite a colourful mental health past (EDs), and no one really knows, and if they did, I'm not sure they would care too much.

If I'm being frank, medicine can be stressful - hell this last fortnight has been horrible, but it's the only way to qualify, and if you don't try, you'll never know if you could have done it...

After this week, I have to admit to having given serious thought as to whether I can complete the course, to say my exam stress reaction was pathological would be an understatement, but then again the end of year 2 is unsettling - hopefully preparing to leave pre-clinical med behind and moving in to the unknown of clinical school... I'm going to give it my best shot though, even if I die trying!

Latest

Trending

Trending