The Student Room Group

Awkward phone interviews

I find phone interviews for graduate schemes really awkward and it's not due to not enough preparation or anything. I prepare quite a lot before hand however once the call starts and they start firing questions at me I get really nervous, all my preparation and written up answers do not help me at all. Does anyone else find phone interviews awkward? Have you ever felt you had an awkward phone interview but have still passed onto the next stage?
I found this to be true at first. Calling a friend and conducting mock interviews helps, and standing up whilst talking, smiling, and preparing a sheet of questions and answers that you expect to be asked.
Reply 2
Original post by wanderlust.xx
I found this to be true at first. Calling a friend and conducting mock interviews helps, and standing up whilst talking, smiling, and preparing a sheet of questions and answers that you expect to be asked.

Thanks I might just try that. Another problem I find with written up answers is that if I read my answers as they are conducting the interview there would be slight pause/delay in my answer and might also sound like I'm reading it out from somewhere.
Reply 3
Don't write the answers down in sentences. I normally think about questions like why do you want to work here and bullet the main points I would want to make in my answer. Same with the main competencies, I would bullet a couple of examples for each one and choose whichever one is appropriate to the specific question when it's asked.

It's completely normal to have a pause to think about your answer before you start speaking!! If you're trying to talk straight away without having a second to decide what you're going to talk about, no wonder it gets awkward as you're just going to grind to a halt and start rambling about nothing...
Reply 4
Original post by alibee
Don't write the answers down in sentences. I normally think about questions like why do you want to work here and bullet the main points I would want to make in my answer. Same with the main competencies, I would bullet a couple of examples for each one and choose whichever one is appropriate to the specific question when it's asked.

It's completely normal to have a pause to think about your answer before you start speaking!! If you're trying to talk straight away without having a second to decide what you're going to talk about, no wonder it gets awkward as you're just going to grind to a halt and start rambling about nothing...

This is what happens every time. I have read online that it's normal to pause to think about your answer but when I get put on the spot and panic, I just can't help it and answer straight away. Next phone interview I get I'll force myself to think about an answer before I start talking.

I have a face-to-face interview tomorrow. Just to confirm, so it's completely normal to have a pause for every question?
Reply 5
Original post by EWSW104
This is what happens every time. I have read online that it's normal to pause to think about your answer but when I get put on the spot and panic, I just can't help it and answer straight away. Next phone interview I get I'll force myself to think about an answer before I start talking.

I have a face-to-face interview tomorrow. Just to confirm, so it's completely normal to have a pause for every question?

Absolutely normal!! Good luck tomorrow.

The other thing that can be odd on the phone is when you've finished your answer and it takes them a while to say something. Again, this silence isn't a cue to start garbling, they're just catching up on their notes!
Reply 6
Original post by alibee
Absolutely normal!! Good luck tomorrow.

The other thing that can be odd on the phone is when you've finished your answer and it takes them a while to say something. Again, this silence isn't a cue to start garbling, they're just catching up on their notes!

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending