The Student Room Group

City Jobs

Hey, would really appreciate it if fellow banker-wannabes would reply to this post, plus other people with experience.

If I want to go into a city job that's not operations :tongue: (global equity reserach looking appealing atm) Which degree combination would be more preferred?

- BSc Economics, MPhil Economics.
- MEng Mechanical Engineering, MBA.

Currently I'm thinking the second option as it means I'm more diverse than the general run of the mill graduate that applies to these banks.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Mysticmin
Hey, would really appreciate it if fellow banker-wannabes would reply to this post, plus other people with experience.

If I want to go into a city job that's not operations :tongue: (global equity reserach looking appealing atm) Which degree combination would be more preferred?

Currently I'm thinking the second option as it means I'm more diverse than the general run of the mill graduate that applies to these banks.

Thanks

PPE!!! YAY...honestly i think both would be liked, it doesnt really matter which you have. Many bankers have science degrees. Do what you enjoy most.
Reply 2
Mysticmin

Thanks

do you actually know what you want to do for the rest of your life or is the idea of pin-stripe suits, mobile phones and lots of money the sole motivation for this?
Reply 3
Mysticmin

Thanks

you should really decide whether you want to do economics or mechanical engineering for yourself, not on the off-chance that you manage to get an interview with an investment bank

the degrees are very different, and you're probably prefering the idea of one to the other, so just go for that - after all, you'll be doing it for 4 years of your life

finally, equity research doesn't sound a particularly thrilling job to go for so I suspect you need to prioritise what you actually want from your life
Reply 4
marabara
you should really decide whether you want to do economics or mechanical engineering for yourself, not on the off-chance that you manage to get an interview with an investment bank

the degrees are very different, and you're probably prefering the idea of one to the other, so just go for that - after all, you'll be doing it for 4 years of your life

finally, equity research doesn't sound a particularly thrilling job to go for so I suspect you need to prioritise what you actually want from your life

equity research is a brilliant job - what makes you think not?
Reply 5
vienna95
do you actually know what you want to do for the rest of your life or is the idea of pin-stripe suits, mobile phones and lots of money the sole motivation for this?

Well hopefully I'll be able to research in the technology sector with an engineering degree and use lots of maths. And the job sounds like it invovles lots of challenges and competition, which I need. Also I get to be analytical :smile:
Reply 6
marabara

Well I'm under the impression that equity research means analysing the market, which hopefully means I can use mathematics in my reports (unless my supervisor is mathematically retarded - i really hope not). If it does involve analysing and research then I could be happy with that. After all that's why I'm better at science than arts.

But I do stand to be corrected if I've mistaken what global equity reserach entails.
Reply 7
Do whichever you prefer! Sounds like engineering so do that!
Reply 8
emma_
Do whichever you prefer! Sounds like engineering so do that!

I spent ages wondering what that little flower under you ratings means, then realised it was ICQ - *duh. Yeah I'm sort of leaning towards engineering. Can you do an MSc in Economics after a BEng/MEng in engineering though?
Reply 9
Mysticmin
I spent ages wondering what that little flower under you ratings means, then realised it was ICQ - *duh. Yeah I'm sort of leaning towards engineering. Can you do an MSc in Economics after a BEng/MEng in engineering though?

Masters at ecoomics assume that you will have prior knowledge to degree level in Economics. Why would you want to jump from a-level economics to masters economics anyways? thats 3 years of university economics to catchup :eek: . I think it is important to specialize mysticmin - it seems that you are still abit hesitant about economics/engineering? :smile:
Reply 10
deianra
Mobile phones? Pin-stripe suits? Power? Money? *dies of pleasure* :cool:

I'm just curious - Have you done work experience/actually worked in the City?
It seems to me it has a much, much better image than it deserves. Not everyone makes £100,000 a year (or anything like that), the work is often pretty dull, and the hours can be excuriatingly long.

And where did you get the idea City jobs will give you power? Half of them are almost completely unrelated to the real world and therefore how you carry them out will have almost no effect on anyone.
Reply 11
Equity research is generally seen as the less glamorous side of the business. Share dealing and investment banking are the ones with the cachet (and the long hours and the boring repetitive work with some very dull people).
For equity research - you will definitely need to know how to analyse accounts which would imply economics over engineering. People often change sector and move across to general fund management so the degree discipline isn't vital - intelligence is. You should also bear in mind that mech eng is a very small part of the FTSE these days so there may not be a huge number of job opportunities in that specific area.
As with other posts - I'd caution against falling in love with the City image - do what interests you - both areas have good employment prospects in any event I would have thought.
Reply 12
deianra
Merely following out the thought thread of the third post? Thus, power is with hindsight, a bit misplaced there but it all worked with the stereotype of exceedingly wealthy power-wielding City maniac. It'll be an experience certainly. Long hours are fine, so is dull work.

My personal ambition is to be the CEO of a FTSE 100 company though. Mmm.

When I was at the same stage of life as you (just before taking AS's) I also thought the City is where I want to be. I'm no longer so sure. If you are rich but work such long hours you don't have time to have a family, for example, then it simply isn't worth it. The people I've spoken to who work at investment banks often struggle with questions like "Which part of your job do you enjoy" or "What do you do outside the office".

I will still consider applying for a job in the City. But there are other opportunities I would view more favourably.

btw are you at Kendrick?
Reply 13
deianra
Merely following out the thought thread of the third post? Thus, power is with hindsight, a bit misplaced there but it all worked with the stereotype of exceedingly wealthy power-wielding City maniac. It'll be an experience certainly. Long hours are fine, so is dull work.

If you wnat power, join the Civil Service.
Reply 14
deianra

:confused: abit of a random ambition 2 me - would rather own a ftse100 instead personally
Reply 15
Imperial have said they'd give me an offer for mechanical engineering if I apply to them through UCAS extra (after phoning UCAS and explaining despite imperial telling them there are no extra places, to admit me :rolleyes: ). Guess it's Engineering then! I think...<indecision settling in>
Reply 16
Mysticmin
Imperial have said they'd give me an offer for mechanical engineering if I apply to them through UCAS extra (after phoning UCAS and explaining despite imperial telling them there are no extra places, to admit me :rolleyes: ). Guess it's Engineering then! I think...<indecision settling in>

wow - well done+nice one! :smile:
Reply 17
Thanks dudes :biggrin: Am still gonna apply for city jobs though, only because my course is four years it'll be at the same time as you two! Hmm...are we really gonna be on UKL in four years time?
Reply 18
deianra
*blinks* Yeah, I'm at Kendrick...how'd you work that one out? Anyway, I don't actually look as fondly upon the City as the impression I give out. I hate London.

Apart from the whole Berkshire + selective grammar school = Kendrick.

Girl, grammar school, Berkshire, high aspirations. Can only think of one school which matches those.

Re London and the City - another great perk is the Tube during July. Not only is it 30 degrees with no air-con, but you're wearing a suit so it's extra warm. argh. tis horrible.
Reply 19
Mysticmin
Thanks dudes :biggrin: Am still gonna apply for city jobs though, only because my course is four years it'll be at the same time as you two! Hmm...are we really gonna be on UKL in four years time?

i hope ill have a better social life then :tongue: theres a chance...

Latest

Trending

Trending