The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
bono
What the hell?

Some private schools have "grammar" in their name?!

Aaaargh, confusion!!!

Some private schools were grammars which converted to be independant, so they may retain the word 'grammar' in their name but are, in fact, private.
bono
What the hell?

Some private schools have "grammar" in their name?!

Aaaargh, confusion!!!

It's true, I don't know much about them.
Lord Huntroyde
Some private schools were grammars which converted to be independant, so they may retain the word 'grammar' in their name but are, in fact, private.

OK, I can see how their is no clarity whatsoever.
deianra

Not wealthy, not posh. Check your sources before making stereotypes.

And Oxbridge do show the percentage of grammars - we're called grant-maintained.

At GCSE, we regularly perform top independent schools with an A*/A percentage of about 90% (my yeargroup average was 6 A*s, 3 As and a B). This is primarily due to everyone having a want to learn and willing to do hard work. One teacher remarked that a class at Kendrick could do in an hour what a comprehensive school class would do over three weeks. There's virtually no racism or bullying because of the selection - we're all intelligent enough to see past that. And also, no streaming except a bit in Maths.

Grammar schools are definitely, the way to go. It's just nice, and I get along with all my teachers - they respect us and we them. There is actually an environment to learn and this is nutured, we are not pushed in any way though the atmosphere can be slightly competitive at times.

Sigh. I love Kendrick (truly) - why people want to abolish grammar schools I can't understand. Nor can I see why the government is so against us or why people make absurd stereotypes. Et cetera.

Fair enough. I don't know if there are any statistics but I do know that for my local grammar school you have to live in the catchment area (or get a very very high score on the 11+), and guess what, the house prices are much higher than elsewhere. And there is more grammar school awareness in richer families, that I do know.

Your school sounds excellent, I refuse to support them however because there aren't enough of them (my local one is 45 minutes away) and because they don't select from everyone just those who are aware of the test.

And the catchment area as the tories say should be abolished.
deianra
That is absolute rubbish. You've obviously never visited a grammar school if you can make absurd comments like that.

Better teaching maybe, but facilities? All of my secondary education I've envied the local comprehensives for their facilities. We're stuck on a miniscule block of land in the town centre when they have superb playing fields. Hockey and lacrosse was played on the front lawn and we always had to avoid the oak trees growing on it. Our ceilings were held up by chicken wire and we even once got onto national TV because we received a grant to rid our school of rats (which were commonly found in the Food room and the music block). And yet who are we? According to the Sunday Times, we're the best state school in England.

The grants we get for performing so well are miniscule because Labour is not overly fond of grammar schools. All the education money is given towards the poor performing comprehensives with facilities to rival independents when we're stuck with equipment from the 1970's. I remember once when every state school in Reading received a grant of £250,000 for their art department apart from the two grammar schools. Please, spare me all this "you only perform well because you have the facilities" - visit us and see - we have practically none.

Why are we posh? Entry to Kendrick (my school) is purely via an admissions test. Over 650 girls take it and the top 96 are offered places, that's an acceptancy rate of about 15% (to rival Oxbridge :tongue: ) There's nothing based on income, class, whatnot. Some have gone to preparatory schools sure, but some people from prep. schools go to comprehensives too. The vast majority of my yeargroup have been 100% state educated and for many, independent school would have been impossible as the fees are too high.

Not wealthy, not posh. Check your sources before making stereotypes.

And Oxbridge do show the percentage of grammars - we're called grant-maintained.

At GCSE, we regularly perform top independent schools with an A*/A percentage of about 90% (my yeargroup average was 6 A*s, 3 As and a B). This is primarily due to everyone having a want to learn and willing to do hard work. One teacher remarked that a class at Kendrick could do in an hour what a comprehensive school class would do over three weeks. There's virtually no racism or bullying because of the selection - we're all intelligent enough to see past that. And also, no streaming except a bit in Maths.

Grammar schools are definitely, the way to go. It's just nice, and I get along with all my teachers - they respect us and we them. There is actually an environment to learn and this is nutured, we are not pushed in any way though the atmosphere can be slightly competitive at times.

Sigh. I love Kendrick (truly) - why people want to abolish grammar schools I can't understand. Nor can I see why the government is so against us or why people make absurd stereotypes. Et cetera.

OK, I think I got the facilities bit wrong because 2776's school is a private school in grammar school clothing, so my apologies.

But the rest still applies - including the poshness scale. You may not think you are posh compared to the richer private schools, but compared to bog standard comprehensives, you are.

And the teaching/students are better as well.

BTW: I have nothing against people who go to grammar schools, it's these dodgy oxbrige stats which muddle things up which annoys me.
deianra
Okay, if someone says Grammar school - it is a state school. It may or may not have the word grammar in its name e.g. Reading School, Kendrick Girls' Grammar School (though we're also known as just Kendrick School), Queen Elizabeth Grammar School (Barnet), Tiffin Girl's School, Tiffin School, et cetera.

Most actually don't have the word Grammar in their name.

Some schools have Grammar in their name e.g. Leeds Grammar School, Queen Elizabeth Grammar School (Wakefield). However, these are independent schools or even public schools and not grammar schools!

LOL.
Reply 86
Lord Huntroyde
No, at a grammar no one pays to go. Absolutely no one.

emm bristol grammar needs school fees
deianra
Get used to it and get your terminology right, dearie. I don't like getting angry at you :tongue:

I wasn't having a go at grammar schools, I was having a go at the oxbridge stats that sort of hid these important details.

Sorry.

But I still find it funny how "Leeds Grammar school" is a private school. LOL.
deianra
45 minutes isn't very far. Many people who go to my school live over an hour away by train - they're prepared to make the journey for better education. Our 'catchment area' is entire Berkshire though we have had some students from Hounslow (Greater London?).

It is quite though.

At the age of 10, I didn't bother taking the 11+... mainly because of little awareness because no one had bothered taking it in my family. But also because it is only a small school my 11+ would've had to been so high because the people who lived in the catchment area would've been given places first.

I would've been prepared to make the journey for a better education, I'm not lazy but it isn't that straight forward.

What pisses me off, is when I look at their results and see shitty results like one boy (who has quite wealthy parents) and got 0.5A*, 4Bs, 4Cs... and this grammar is a fucking good one at that, I know I'll easy beat that, it seems wasteful and lazy, I cannot understand why he got a place.
deianra
Read my above post. Bristol Grammar isn't a grammar school - it's an independent with a dodgy name.

You know a lot about this sort of thing. :wink:
Reply 90
deianra
Read my above post. Bristol Grammar isn't a grammar school - it's an independent with a dodgy name.

yea ur right :wink: soz i was abit behind
Reply 91
deianra
:tongue:

I'm very pro-grammar schools and I love them.

oh really? :rolleyes:
deianra

I'm very pro-grammar schools and I love them. *huggles Kendrick* I owe my stars to them and my Top Five.

"I owe my stars to them and my Top Five" - Thank you for completely backing up my point.
deianra
My school has its own admissions test. Well, the school does not dictate the person. One girl in Year 7 was brilliant - there's no way I could have been better than her. As she grew up, she rebelled against everything, started skiving up and ended up with pretty awful results.

Also, Tek goes to one of the best public schools in London and you probably think I'm nitpicking but, despite getting a scholarship, he didn't get 10 A*s, whereas many without a scholarship did (no offence, dear).

Grammar schools cannot select who they take in - we take in everyone, rich and poor as long as you're good enough. It doesn't matter if you have wealthy parents or not, and it may seem unfair but grammar schools do not have a choice in this matter. Therefore, I'd like to say it's more fair as we are able to educate all the bright people. If people miss the admissions test, then it does show they are not motivated enough to find out about it. In other cases like illness, my school gives special circumstances...

Well I wont get 10A* and it's a shame because I don't know if I would've been capable getting such results having going to a better school (for instance my school gets an average of 28.0 GCSE points, which although sounds bad, all the schools are like this in my area and whether people live in large detatched houses or slums, they have to put up with it.)

You say you didn't get a scholarship? Well you did in effect, you got into a school which is better for education because you are bright. Simple.

Things are not black and white. I wanted to look into the grammar school thing, but my parents were not clued up on this enough and because it is such a way a way and a little amount of people go they knew nothing about it. It has nothing to do with motivation, how the fuck is a ten year old kid expected to drive a car 45 minutes to where the test is being held? I knew that I'd be better off at a grammar at 10, but I didn't know my chances of getting loads of As and A*s would be made more unlikely. You just don't realise such things at ten.
Reply 94
deianra
:tongue:

I'm very pro-grammar schools and I love them. *huggles Kendrick* I owe my stars to them and my Top Five.

But what about kids in comps who miss out on a good quality of teaching and have to fight to get decent results, but still they won't be as good as someone who had better teaching and better surroundings at school...
deianra
Not for the reasons you think though. I was bullied badly at my state primary school and I knew that would have continued if I went to the local comprehensive. At Kendrick, we're intelligent enough to see past that. Only in that environment did I realise learning was not a sin.

Not all those facilities, teaching factors. More of a psychological thing.

Exactly, so my point is that grammar schools and comprehensive schools cannot be seen in the same light. The oxbridge stats do this.

It would have been interesting to see how I would have turned out if I went to a grammar school - My personality, attitude, grades etc.
me!
But what about kids in comps who miss out on a good quality of teaching and have to fight to get decent results, but still they won't be as good as someone who had better teaching and better surroundings at school...

Of course.
Reply 97
bono
Exactly, so my point is that grammar schools and comprehensive schools cannot be seen in the same light. The oxbridge stats do this.

It would have been interesting to see how I would have turned out if I went to a grammar school - My personality, attitude, grades etc.

Everything happens for a reason, remember that :biggrin:
me!
Everything happens for a reason, remember that :biggrin:

Well the fact that I wanted to go to a comprehensive school was 1 reason. :tongue:
Reply 99
so grammars are for the accademically elite it seems then...

Latest

Trending

Trending