The Student Room Group

Optometry Students 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 2en1
Was it on clearing in Aston if you can remember, and are there generally spaces available for optometry through clearing

Yep it was on clearing for Aston for around 2 days. I'm not sure if there are generally spaces through clearing but Bradford and Anglia Ruskin were on optometry clearing for quite a long time this year (it may still be offered)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justfly
Hello, my predicted grades for A2 are AAA (Chemistry, biology and economics), I am thinking about applying to manchester, there offer is AAB. I meet there offer for A-Levels however in GCSE Maths I attained a C they require a B grade, should I consider applying? I have really good grades at AS level for optom!

Yes! You should definitely consider applying because they look at you predictions and the AS grades first before your GCSEs so if your AS grades meet their requirements they will most probably give you an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2en1
Why don't you just apply for medicine since you got 4As?

As medicine is really demanding and long and for admission they want so much more than just grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I'm starting Optometry at Uni this year so if people have any questions about the application process, personal statements and stuff I'm happy to answer questions :smile:
Original post by 2en1
Why don't you just apply for medicine since you got 4As?

Just because somebody has all A's this does not mean they have to study medicine. Optometry and medicine are very different degrees/career paths. Study what you want to at university, not what other people or your parents tell you you should do
So i being predicted BBB and really wanted to go to aston do you think I still have a shot? My sixthform are very strict for predicted grades and only predicted me a B in chem as I was 4 marks off other than that they predicted me what I got at as

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yaknow 66
So i being predicted BBB and really wanted to go to aston do you think I still have a shot? My sixthform are very strict for predicted grades and only predicted me a B in chem as I was 4 marks off other than that they predicted me what I got at as

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's probably unlikely, you might have a chance with ABB, but a lot of teachers predict students higher than what they'll realistically get so lots of people will apply with AAA anyway, try to get your teachers to put up your predicted grades
Original post by Ermahgerdexams
Just because somebody has all A's this does not mean they have to study medicine. Optometry and medicine are very different degrees/career paths. Study what you want to at university, not what other people or your parents tell you you should do

Thank you! :yy::yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I'm starting Optometry at Uni this year so if people have any questions about the application process, personal statements and stuff I'm happy to answer questions :smile:

Hi! Which university are you starting at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OneLittleStudent
Hi! Which university are you starting at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plymouth
Original post by yaknow 66

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you still have a shot! Do you have work experience or voluntary?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! Did you have a lot of work experience? And what grades did you get? I am worried I won't get the grades, but I do have a lot of work experience
Original post by Daisy452
Hey! Did you have a lot of work experience? And what grades did you get? I am worried I won't get the grades, but I do have a lot of work experience

I had 2 days in an independent, I just put this on my PS as something like 'Over the summer I spent some time...' It sounded better than two days and I didn't apply to Manchester so I knew I wouldn't have to go to interviews and be asked how long 'some time' actually was. Even if you only have a small amount of work experience you can still talk about what you saw or learnt during this time.

I got BBB initially which is what Plymouth, my insurance choice, accepted me with. I actually got them remarked and it went up to AAB, which annoyingly would have got me into my firm choice, Cardiff. However it really doesn't matter where you go as the course is regulated and standardised across all the Uni's.
I had 2 days in an independent, I just put this on my PS as something like 'Over the summer I spent some time...' It sounded better than two days and I didn't apply to Manchester so I knew I wouldn't have to go to interviews and be asked how long 'some time' actually was. Even if you only have a small amount of work experience you can still talk about what you saw or learnt during this time.

I got BBB initially which is what Plymouth, my insurance choice, accepted me with. I actually got them remarked and it went up to AAB, which annoyingly would have got me into my firm choice, Cardiff. However it really doesn't matter where you go as the course is regulated and standardised across all the Uni's.

Wow that is annoying! I am predicted AAB with the A's coming from sciences, but I do have a lot of work experience. I am thinking of applying to manchester, Cardiff, Plymouth and Bradford not sure Sure about last choice. What is plymouth like?
Original post by Daisy452
Wow that is annoying! I am predicted AAB with the A's coming from sciences, but I do have a lot of work experience. I am thinking of applying to manchester, Cardiff, Plymouth and Bradford not sure Sure about last choice. What is plymouth like?

Well I visited everywhere except Ulster and Glasgow, I wasn't too bothered about ow far away they all were just wanted to get a feel for the Uni's.
I haven't started yet and I don't move in until next saturday, so I can only base it on the open day but plymouth seemed like a really great place to go and the staff were all really friendly. I think the teaching is mainly in the PAHC which is about 30 mins on a bus from the main campus (which you get for free) they have all the people studying health related courses over there and there is a common room type thing and a library over there so it won't be too annoying if you have long breaks. They also have their 'opticians' open to the public which is in the centre of town but I don't think you really use that until third year.
The course is quite small about 36 people and you get given placements to go to at opticians in the Southwest as well, some of which have led to part time jobs or offers or pre-reg offers. I got the impression on the open day that the small size made it a much friendlier atmosphere and that the tutors got the chance to offer a little more individual help than other places might.
Sorry for the long reply, I can probably give you a better idea what it's like later in the year though. Are you going to go to the open days? I would really recommended it :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Well I visited everywhere except Ulster and Glasgow, I wasn't too bothered about ow far away they all were just wanted to get a feel for the Uni's.
I haven't started yet and I don't move in until next saturday, so I can only base it on the open day but plymouth seemed like a really great place to go and the staff were all really friendly. I think the teaching is mainly in the PAHC which is about 10 mins on a bus from the main campus (which you get for free) they have all the people studying health related courses over there and there is a common room type thing and a library over there so it won't be too annoying if you have long breaks. They also have their 'opticians' open to the public which is in the centre of town but I don't think you really use that until third year.
The course is quite small about 36 people and you get given placements to go to at opticians in the Southwest as well, some of which have led to part time jobs or offers or pre-reg offers. I got the impression on the open day that the small size made it a much friendlier atmosphere and that the tutors got the chance to offer a little more individual help than other places might.
Sorry for the long reply, I can probably give you a better idea what it's like later in the year though. Are you going to go to the open days? I would really recommended it :smile:

Yes I am booked for the Plymouth open day on the 11th October. It sounds lovely! Thank you, your reply has been really useful :biggrin:
Do you think i'll get into optometry with maths, biology, philosophy and AS Citizenship????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mrnazz00923
Do you think i'll get into optometry with maths, biology, philosophy and AS Citizenship????

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should be fine, since you have two sciences. If you're really worried, you could try taking up AS physics or chemistry (or a different subject that you like; my third A2 subject was Economics and I got offers just fine) I'm just not sure how respected philosophy and citizenship are when compared to other subjects.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
You should be fine, since you have two sciences. If you're really worried, you could try taking up AS physics or chemistry (or a different subject that you like; my third A2 subject was Economics and I got offers just fine) I'm just not sure how respected philosophy and citizenship are when compared to other subjects.

What subjects did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mrnazz00923
What subjects did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had Bio/Maths/Econ + AS Chemistry (predicted ABB, with a C in chem, 2 years ago) and got offers from Ulster, Anglia and Liverpool (for Orthoptics). Didn't get an offer from Manchester, and Glasgow were taking too long to reply so I withdrew my application from them (and I'd fallen in love with Anglia anyway).

Quick Reply

Latest