The Student Room Group

Optometry Students 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ria_devil
i think they can be lenient in the sense that they would take people with grades as low as ABB/AAB but I don't think they would sway down much lower to be honest!

Yeah I don't expect them to be too lenient, it's just for chemistry as I'm on a B right now but I've always struggled, so just in case I don't get the A next year as the content is harder this year. My other two subjects will be okay. :smile:
Original post by AspiringOptom
Haha thank you!

Yes wbu? And what other unis did you apply to?

I see! I though it would be nice to go since I didn't visit the uni on the open days, but it's strangely on a school day which means I'm going to have to miss a few important lessons

Nope, City's a bit too close to my hometown and I would like to get away haha :P and Cardiff, Aston, Anglia Ruskin and Plymouth :smile:
Aren't there any open days on a Saturday?
Should i apply aston, city, manchester or cardiff.

Im a dental applicant thus personal statement is dentistry orientated.

Gcse: 3A* 6A
As: AABB (A in bio and chem)
A2 predicted: A*AA

Thanks in advance!
booked in on the bradford open day! Has anyone else!? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 584
Anyone got an interview from Cardiff?
Should i apply for aston with predicted ABB for optom?
Reply 586
Has anybody got an interview at Manchester in February?
Original post by Razza31
What subjects are you predicted A's in?
I've heard that Plymouth are pretty lenient on grades so you should get an offer plus AAB are the minimum entry requirements

AA in psychology and biology and B in chemistry
Original post by Miladrises
Should i apply aston, city, manchester or cardiff.

Im a dental applicant thus personal statement is dentistry orientated.

Gcse: 3A* 6A
As: AABB (A in bio and chem)
A2 predicted: A*AA

Thanks in advance!

cardiff! my friend last year applied to cardiff as well as dentistry and she got an offer pretty much straight away even though her personal statement was dentistry based
Original post by ria_devil
cardiff! my friend last year applied to cardiff as well as dentistry and she got an offer pretty much straight away even though her personal statement was dentistry based

Oh thanks. Did she have to do an interview? And do you remember how her grades were like by any chance?

Thanks for replying btw!
Guys I was just wondering what your views are on the rankings of Unis for Optom? It's just that when I did my research there were no official rankings for this subject :s-smilie: From what I know, Cardiff and Manchester are two of the best...? Might be wrong :o:p
Original post by shakz123
Should i apply for aston with predicted ABB for optom?

Yes I got an offer with predicted BBB! :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys just need some guidance and advice. I really wish to study optometry however I do Btech science :/ but I have worked in an opticians for almost 2 years. Is there somewhere anyone can recommend ? As I know that aston&manchester won't accept me. But I'd appriciate feedback
Hi all, im a first year optom student at City, I'd be happy to try and answer any questions you guys might have seeing as I was in your exact position a year ago! :smile:
Original post by nadinehay18
Hey guys just need some guidance and advice. I really wish to study optometry however I do Btech science :/ but I have worked in an opticians for almost 2 years. Is there somewhere anyone can recommend ? As I know that aston&manchester won't accept me. But I'd appriciate feedback

Hi, from my experience Bradford are VERY keen on work experience, if you havent already, try contacting them to see if they would consider your application.
How many people tend to apply in total for Optometry at the different uni's?
are they lenient so could you get in with BBB or is that too low?
Original post by JustaDreamer
Guys I was just wondering what your views are on the rankings of Unis for Optom? It's just that when I did my research there were no official rankings for this subject :s-smilie: From what I know, Cardiff and Manchester are two of the best...? Might be wrong :o:p

From what I've seen/heard, it seems the top ones are Cardiff, Manchester and Aston, but that's not to say the other ones are bad! Tbh, all the unis offering Optometry are accredited so it doesn't really matter which uni you go to as they all allow you to become a qualified Optometrist after pre-reg :smile:
Original post by Nishat95
Hi all, im a first year optom student at City, I'd be happy to try and answer any questions you guys might have seeing as I was in your exact position a year ago! :smile:

How are you finding the course so far and how are your lecturers?
What's your timetable like? Could you possibly post a pic of it? Thanks :smile:
Original post by coolerthanbeans
How are you finding the course so far and how are your lecturers?
What's your timetable like? Could you possibly post a pic of it? Thanks :smile:

The course itself is quite intense, you're bombarded with a lot of info right from the first week of term(after induction week). At city the course consists of 5 modules which feel like theyre five different subjects that all overlap! If you do the work as you go along then you'll be fine. Lectures are very detailed, i find you dont have to go looking into books much coz all the info is available on the lecture slides, unless your stuck on something obv. Longest lectures are human bio, and its probably the most intense module in terms of work load, but alot of it is AS/A2 bio.

For my goup my time tables crap, but thats not the same for all, dont know why its like that tbh. Most students get 4 day weeks and the longest day i have starts at 9 and ends at 6, but that includes a 5 hour gap so its not too bad. Other than that if i start early i usually finish early. The time table can change every week and is different from student to student depending on what gropu your in so a picture wouldnt do much to show what the course time table is like.

****NOTE id like to inform anyone applying, or has applied that at CITY they recommend you buy your optical equipment during induction week this ranges from £1500+ , also through out the course youll be required to purchase other pieces of equipment too.I think its the same for all other unis too but im not 100% sure abt that.
I didnt know this and neither did alot of other people on the course, so you could imagine we were left feeling very out of pocket! So i recommend you start saving up, if you dont have enough money you are able to borrow equipment so dont worry, but staff will recommend you buy your own early, as this is what you will be using as qualified optometrists in the future.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nishat95
The course itself is quite intense, you're bombarded with a lot of info right from the first week of term(after induction week). At city the course consists of 5 modules which feel like theyre five different subjects that all overlap! If you do the work as you go along then you'll be fine. Lectures are very detailed, i find you dont have to go looking into books much coz all the info is available on the lecture slides, unless your stuck on something obv. Longest lectures are human bio, and its probably the most intense module in terms of work load, but alot of it is AS/A2 bio.

For my goup my time tables crap, but thats not the same for all, dont know why its like that tbh. Most students get 4 day weeks and the longest day i have starts at 9 and ends at 6, but that includes a 5 hour gap so its not too bad. Other than that if i start early i usually finish early. The time table can change every week and is different from student to student depending on what gropu your in so a picture wouldnt do much to show what the course time table is like.

****NOTE id like to inform anyone applying, or has applied that at CITY they recommend you buy your optical equipment during induction week this ranges from £1500+ , also through out the course youll be required to purchase other pieces of equipment too.I think its the same for all other unis too but im not 100% sure abt that.
I didnt know this and neither did alot of other people on the course, so you could imagine we were left feeling very out of pocket! So i recommend you start saving up, if you dont have enough money you are able to borrow equipment so dont worry, but staff will recommend you buy your own early, as this is what you will be using as qualified optometrists in the future.

Wow, thanks for such a detailed response! What would you say is the hardest part of the course so far, and what's the balance between your practicals/lectures?
And damn, Optom equipment is expensive :frown: Did people use their grants to buy the equipment or their own money from jobs?

Quick Reply

Latest