The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilymc
Hi all,

I am just in the process of sending an email to primary schools seeking voluntary experience to support my application for PGCE courses starting in 2015. I am looking to hear from others who have experienced this or are in the process.

I have a few questions:
Should I keep the initial email short and sweet (just asking to find out about volunteer opportunities)?
Should I include a paragraph (brief) about what I have been up to in the last few years since graduating from my degree in 2010?
Should I attach CV at this early stage or is that best to be handed in if I meet with school members?
Should I request a meeting in email?

Sorry for all the questions, just would like to hear your ideas on what would be the best approach.

Thanks,

Lily

Hi Lily!

I have just done this, so thought I would tell you what I did. Keep the first email relatively short, because if they do have positions available you can then expand upon things. Briefly sum up why you want to go into teaching and when you are applying for. You can say how many days a week you are willing to volunteer for, but you can talk further about this when they offer you a meeting. I wouldn't attach a cv at this point because they will ask you for that in the later stages. And after recent experience of sending out over 20 emails to different schools I only received 3 positive replies.. So don't feel disheartened if you don't get many replies at first. Some schools have quotas of the amount of volunteers they can take on! If you don't hear back from any, I'd suggest giving them a ring as you are much more likely to get through to the right person :smile:

i hope this helps you! Good luck :smile: xx
Original post by Rach_gee
Hi Louise,
Thanks for the reply. There's a new course that's been introduced this year, the one I wish to do is mainly PE but you also learn to teach English, Maths and Science, but with the main emphasis on PE I would like to become a PE Teacher. I think with the Government investing the £150m into school sport I think more and more jobs are becoming available in primary schools which is great. I'm thinking that perhaps with learning about English, Maths and Science as well then classroom experience may be required. But I will contact them and ask thank you.

It sounds like a great opportunity and I wish you all the best with it :smile: good luck and let us know what happens x
Reply 182
Thanks for your advice!

Do you have any tips for personal statements such as the layout and what to include as having read a lot of information and websites they are starting to contradict themselves! - So stressful

Good luck with your course x
Reply 183
Original post by Louisemayx
Hi Lily!

I have just done this, so thought I would tell you what I did. Keep the first email relatively short, because if they do have positions available you can then expand upon things. Briefly sum up why you want to go into teaching and when you are applying for. You can say how many days a week you are willing to volunteer for, but you can talk further about this when they offer you a meeting. I wouldn't attach a cv at this point because they will ask you for that in the later stages. And after recent experience of sending out over 20 emails to different schools I only received 3 positive replies.. So don't feel disheartened if you don't get many replies at first. Some schools have quotas of the amount of volunteers they can take on! If you don't hear back from any, I'd suggest giving them a ring as you are much more likely to get through to the right person :smile:

i hope this helps you! Good luck :smile: xx

Hi Louisemay,
Thank you for your advice, it was a good help. I am in Ireland thinking about applying to schools here and I am also thinking about applying to schools in East London as I have family to stay with. I am hoping to apply for PGCE courses in London.
Good luck with your preparations, hope all going well for you :smile:
Lily
Original post by lula03
Hello, I'm hoping to apply for PGCE primary next year. At the moment I am about to start my final year of my degree. I have relevant work experience and am currently waiting on a few other schools. I was just wondering whether other people are in the same position as me, finishing a degree and going straight on to do a PGCE, or are taking a year/s out? Thank-you :smile:

Hiya, I'm currently going into my final year too! I already feel like I've got a lot on my plate even though I haven't started my school experience. :s-smilie:

My plan this month (september) is to email schools and get at least 4 days of school experience under my belt. Unfortunately from October I'm only free monday mornings, thursday mornings, and friday all day, so altogether il be getting 2 days worth of experience every week. If I can try get 10 days before end of November I'm on track. Soon as I've got my experience sorted I will be booking my skills test for early December.
Whilst getting the school experience (september and october, I am also going to do as much of the background reading as possible for my dissertation, start writing my personal statement and start revising for the skills test.

I feel as though I'm going to be exhausted by the time it comes to my interview lol!

Good luck!:smile:
Hi all, just joining in the conversation!
I'm hoping to get on a PGCE/School Direct course next Sept. I have a 2.1 BA (Hons) History and a PgDip in C19th socio-cultural history. I currently work as a TA in a primary school across all key stages, run interventions, work with SEN and EAL children. I am doing the HLTA course at the moment so I teach whole class Numeracy starters and Plenary as well as some SEAL sessions. I also attend planning meetings and work with the SENCO to formulate IEPs and care plans. I'm in my late 20s and have a 5 year old (and I'm single so juggling it all will be tough!) but this is my passion! I will be sad to leave my school though, I love my job!
I am very nervous about the skills test in Maths though, I have a C in GCSE Maths and the University I would like to go to requires a B but says they will accept lower with a wider profile so I'm hoping my experience will be enough to allow me to apply. I am going to ring tomorrow and enquire!
Original post by lilymc
Hi all,

I am just in the process of sending an email to primary schools seeking voluntary experience to support my application for PGCE courses starting in 2015. I am looking to hear from others who have experienced this or are in the process.

I have a few questions:
Should I keep the initial email short and sweet (just asking to find out about volunteer opportunities)?
Should I include a paragraph (brief) about what I have been up to in the last few years since graduating from my degree in 2010?
Should I attach CV at this early stage or is that best to be handed in if I meet with school members?
Should I request a meeting in email?

Sorry for all the questions, just would like to hear your ideas on what would be the best approach.

Thanks,

Lily

Have you tried calling them up or popping in instead? It's more personal and less easy for a school to ignore than if you just email. I popped into schools and got a 'yes' straightaway. Actually I just had my first day at an infant school. I was only observing much of the time but I feel exhausted!
Reply 187
[QUOTE="Veggiechic6;50258123"]Have you tried calling them up or popping in instead? It's more personal and less easy for a school to ignore than if you just email. I popped into schools and got a 'yes' straightaway. Actually I just had my first day at an infant school. I was only observing much of the time but I feel exhausted![/QUOTE

That would be a good idea. I think I might do that with my local schools. My parents moved me between 4 different schools as a child in Ireland, so going to contact these schools as hopefully being a past pupil will be on my side. That is great you got a placement sorted, hope you get a well deserved rest this evening!
It sounds like a great opportunity and I wish you all the best with it :smile: good luck and let us know what happens x

Thank you, I will do and good luck with your preparations. I'm not sure whether this would be in the right thread but wondered whether anyone knew what was required from a reference? As in do we just apply in November and then a link would be sent to them with some questions on or does anyone know if there are any specific questions that they could prepare answers for now?
I have booked my literacy skills test, not booking numeracy yet as I need to practice more!
I have ordered the Numeracy Skills test book, I have revised fraction conversions this morning and feel a little more confident that I will be able to scrape a pass! It is my mental maths skills that hold me back as I panic!
Reply 191
Good luck for your meeting! I'd definitely mention any experience you have but I think the recent experience will be more relevant and you have limited space in which to write it all. So my advice would be mention your past experience but try not to concentrate on this too much as your recent experience will be what they are looking for :smile: xx

Thanks, it went really well. He could not have been more accommodating in fact! He basically told me I could pick and choose when I wanted to come in - what a great guy :smile: yes, I think I'll do that. Mention what I've done but go into specifics about the most recent!x
Original post by Jo1986
Thanks, it went really well. He could not have been more accommodating in fact! He basically told me I could pick and choose when I wanted to come in - what a great guy :smile: yes, I think I'll do that. Mention what I've done but go into specifics about the most recent!x

Aww congrats! :smile: Im meeting a few next week :biggrin: Im glad you have got somewhere :smile: good luck with it! xx
Reply 193
Original post by simran_721
Hiya, I'm currently going into my final year too! I already feel like I've got a lot on my plate even though I haven't started my school experience. :s-smilie:

My plan this month (september) is to email schools and get at least 4 days of school experience under my belt. Unfortunately from October I'm only free monday mornings, thursday mornings, and friday all day, so altogether il be getting 2 days worth of experience every week. If I can try get 10 days before end of November I'm on track. Soon as I've got my experience sorted I will be booking my skills test for early December.
Whilst getting the school experience (september and october, I am also going to do as much of the background reading as possible for my dissertation, start writing my personal statement and start revising for the skills test.

I feel as though I'm going to be exhausted by the time it comes to my interview lol!

Good luck!:smile:

Oh believe me, I know your struggle! I'm trying to plan as much as I can & I've now got some more work experience in a few weeks time. Just along as you get 10 days, you'll be absolutely fine :smile:

In regards to the skills test, I'm just revising little and often!

We'll be fine, we've just got to make sure we're organised!!
Hi,

Does anyone now if I can just sign up on UCAS now and add any details in before the 2015 application?

If I ask for a reference now how do I get my tutor to "add" the reference if I carnt even sign up yet? Have I got to wait until application 2015 is available or can they email me the reference and I add it when it's available ?

Thanks in advance
Original post by Beccyboop
Hi,

Does anyone now if I can just sign up on UCAS now and add any details in before the 2015 application?

If I ask for a reference now how do I get my tutor to "add" the reference if I carnt even sign up yet? Have I got to wait until application 2015 is available or can they email me the reference and I add it when it's available ?

Thanks in advance

Hey. I think you have to wait until it opens :smile: Hopefully it will all open on time. Shame we can't add some details now like qualifications etc x
Original post by katie543
Hey. I think you have to wait until it opens :smile: Hopefully it will all open on time. Shame we can't add some details now like qualifications etc x

Ahh thanks. Yeah it's a real pain, just wanna add things to get ready.lol. Thanks for replying. x
Original post by Beccyboop
Ahh thanks. Yeah it's a real pain, just wanna add things to get ready.lol. Thanks for replying. x

Same! That is okay :smile: good luck in your application! X
If anyone (like me!) is worried about the numeracy skills test I can totally recommend the Passing the Numeracy Skills Test by Mark Patmore. I have read the chapter on fractions and % this morning and done the questions at the end of the chapter and got the all correct which is a total shock because I am horrendous at maths! It is very clearly explained, I feel a bit more confident. Has anybody booked their skills tests yet? I spoke to admissions at a local uni last week and they are expecting UCAS to open on Nov 1st, interviews start in Dec.
Reply 199
Original post by MissPrickle
If anyone (like me!) is worried about the numeracy skills test I can totally recommend the Passing the Numeracy Skills Test by Mark Patmore. I have read the chapter on fractions and % this morning and done the questions at the end of the chapter and got the all correct which is a total shock because I am horrendous at maths! It is very clearly explained, I feel a bit more confident. Has anybody booked their skills tests yet? I spoke to admissions at a local uni last week and they are expecting UCAS to open on Nov 1st, interviews start in Dec.

Ooh, oh, sounds good. Think I'll give it a go! I've not booked yet but should do soon I suppose as I imagine they'll fill up quickly!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending