The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redpaintednails
I'm pretty sure I read on the website that you can't apply to Teach First if you already have a PGCE/schools direct place. I got the impression they just say it to stop people withdrawing like you say though and there's nothing that ACTUALLY stops you! It seems a bit unfair to say you can't apply for both, I genuinely don't know know which one I'd prefer yet but didn't want to apply to one and then ruin my chances of applying to the other!

Oh right. Yeah, my friend said that teach first loose something like £25,000 for every withdrawal! So I think they are keen to stop people withdrawing. Im the same as you, i really want teach first, but if they put me in a region I don't want to be living in i'd rather do a straight forward PGCE.
Im applying for both! And i know other people definitely will as well! :smile: xx
Original post by Macruiskeen
I think I might contact my choices and see if they will accept one from a teacher or head of department.

It seems silly to me to ask for a headteacher, especially when it's not likely that you had much contact with them during your observations.

Original post by aimzlouw
Hi,

I'm also applying for PGCE 2015. Starting to worry about the application process now though, I've got my personal statement done but not sure who to ask for my second reference. I know that ideally the head teacher from the school you've gained experience in is a good idea but I don't feel they really know me. I've worked in an after school club for a while so the manager knows me really well, I'd just feel more comfortable getting her to do it than someone whose only met me a handful of times.

Also does anyone know what is actually asked for in our references? Do they ask set questions or do they just ask for a general reference?

Thanks.

Don't worry too much about it being from the Head, mine was from the Deputy who knew me much better from my school experience and no Universities had a problem with it!
Starting to have doubts about applying for the PGCE.
All related to trying to fit it into my life.
I have 2 children who will be 4 & 7 when I start and in YR & Y3.
I have waited for my youngest to start school before applying but not relishing the thought of missing taking him for his 1st day at school :-(
I currently work 8-12 term time as a TA so can collect from school.
I have done my degree PT whilst working these hours (went 1pm a week for 3 years) & I got a 1st.
But I'm worried that I will be working every waking minute and I won't be there for my children. Also worried my relationship will suffer too.
Don't really expect any answers but I just need to tell someone who is removed from the situation!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pineapple pie
I have waited for my youngest to start school before applying but not relishing the thought of missing taking him for his 1st day at school :-(
I have done my degree PT whilst working these hours (went 1pm a week for 3 years) & I got a 1st.
But I'm worried that I will be working every waking minute and I won't be there for my children. Also worried my relationship will suffer too.
Don't really expect any answers but I just need to tell someone who is removed from the situation!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is there any option to study the PGCE part time? That might be a better idea in your situation. That does sound tough though. Otherwise... they'll only suffer for a year whilst you study, maybe that's ok if it means you come out of it with a good job and then you can be there for them from then on.
So it's looking like UCAS apply is going to open on the 28th. However, I have a 3rd week of school observations arranged for a couple of weeks after this date.

Does anyone think that I should hold off applying so that I can include this experience or just mention that it is something that is arranged? At least I will have done it in time to mention it in my interviews.

Looks like a few other people are in a similar situation!
Original post by Macruiskeen
So it's looking like UCAS apply is going to open on the 28th. However, I have a 3rd week of school observations arranged for a couple of weeks after this date.

Does anyone think that I should hold off applying so that I can include this experience or just mention that it is something that is arranged? At least I will have done it in time to mention it in my interviews.

Looks like a few other people are in a similar situation!

Hi..I'll be applying after the start date my work experience will not finish until the 2nd week of November but I would rather have the experience and apply slightly later..my friend didn't apply until the end of November last year and still got stright onto a school direct place :smile: hoping luck will side with me too this year
Reply 526
Must say the fact others are applying late puts me at ease. I think I'll be applying last week of November once I've got all my school experience as I think I'll be doing it 2 days a week for 5 weeks to work it around my full time waitressing job. I can't afford to take 2 weeks off to get it all done quicker, wish I could :-( I mite even apply a week before and say I've done my 10 days, sure the head teacher would vouch for me as it will nearly be completed, I'll be able to write about it in my personal statement and it'll all be done by the time I have an interview.

Anyone any idea of timing of interviews? I know some happen straight away in November but if I'm applying late November would I have one in December or would it not be till January?
Original post by Zoe_88
Must say the fact others are applying late puts me at ease. I think I'll be applying last week of November once I've got all my school experience as I think I'll be doing it 2 days a week for 5 weeks to work it around my full time waitressing job. I can't afford to take 2 weeks off to get it all done quicker, wish I could :-( I mite even apply a week before and say I've done my 10 days, sure the head teacher would vouch for me as it will nearly be completed, I'll be able to write about it in my personal statement and it'll all be done by the time I have an interview.

Anyone any idea of timing of interviews? I know some happen straight away in November but if I'm applying late November would I have one in December or would it not be till January?

Timing of interviews is going to depend entirely on the University and what they have available.

Has anyone started their personal statements yet? We get given 4000 characters but it looks like some example statements are quite a bit under that length....really not sure if 4000 is seen as the maximum or what we should be aiming for.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey everyone,

I just updated the OP with a link to Education/Teaching connect/stalking page - if you haven't already go connect to see other applicants' grades & offers. Also, if you enter your details it will be really really useful for everyone else making their applications this year.

:woo:
I've emailed over 20 high schools in the Greater Manchester area, and I've heard back from 3 with rejections, but luckily one is willing to give me a 2 day work experience, should I take it although it's only 2 days? or wait on the other high schools I emailed? I only emailed them 2 days ago so I'm not expecting hear much back just yet.

Thanks x
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hey everyone,

I just updated the OP with a link to Education/Teaching connect/stalking page - if you haven't already go connect to see other applicants' grades & offers. Also, if you enter your details it will be really really useful for everyone else making their applications this year.

:woo:

It would be useful to do this for school direct providers too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Veggiechic6
Is there any option to study the PGCE part time? That might be a better idea in your situation. That does sound tough though. Otherwise... they'll only suffer for a year whilst you study, maybe that's ok if it means you come out of it with a good job and then you can be there for them from then on.

Thanks Veggiechick, there are no part time courses local to me. I'll just have to be super organised. I used to work on uni assignments from 8-11pm when the kids were in bed and the odd full sunday when they went to my Mum's but this was only now and again, so hopefully will do the same again and be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know what's the word count for the personal statement? And also for the work experience section? I'm unsure how much to write about my school experience in the personal statement because of the work experience section!
Thanks!
Reply 533
Original post by Pineapple pie

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know just how you feel. I'm constantly battling myself about what's right for my family. I just keep thinking of the bigger picture. If I get a place next year my girls will only be 1 and 3. I looked into doing part time but as the school placements are still full time and the financial support isn't as good it seemed to be a worse option anyway!
Reply 534
Original post by xxvegieexx
Does anyone know what's the word count for the personal statement? And also for the work experience section? I'm unsure how much to write about my school experience in the personal statement because of the work experience section!
Thanks!

The work experience section is a pretty basic section of literally writing where you worked, the dates you worked there & a couple of sentences on your experience. The personal statement is where you go into detail about the work experience.

this link is really useful at explaining what you have to include in this section. http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/teacher-training/filling-in-your-application
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 535
Sorry, I never really introduced myself! Basically I applied very late last year to Schools Direct places (in June!) Had interviews but was told where it was quite late in the year they couldn't guarantee finding me schools, so was unsuccessful. Decided over the summer the PGCE route was more for me instead though. So I've already passed my skills test, & know a bit about how the application works as I've done it before.
Original post by ST10
The work experience section is a pretty basic section of literally writing where you worked, the dates you worked there & a couple of sentences on your experience. The personal statement is where you go into detail about the work experience.

this link is really useful at explaining what you have to include in this section. http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/teacher-training/filling-in-your-application

Thank you for your reply!!
I didn't realise the work experience section was so basic- I feel like we have so much to put in the personal statement! Why you want to teach, why the subject/age, experience etc.
I think I'm going to struggle to fit it all in!

Ahh right! So are you ready to apply when applications open then? :-)
Reply 537
Original post by xxvegieexx
Thank you for your reply!!
I didn't realise the work experience section was so basic- I feel like we have so much to put in the personal statement! Why you want to teach, why the subject/age, experience etc.
I think I'm going to struggle to fit it all in!

Ahh right! So are you ready to apply when applications open then? :-)

Yeah, it is pretty basic, I think it's just to give them a rough overview of what experience you have, and then you write in more detail in the personal statement.
I know! It seems like so much to put in, but I think it helps that you then can't ramble too much & you have to be straight to the point about everything.

Pretty much. I'm going to tweak my personal statement a bit, because my teaching assistant job is now slightly different.
When do you think you'll be ready to apply by?
Regarding the interviews, apply 1 works in a way where universities have 40 days in which to respond with a yes/no decision, so they would need to have invited us to interview in that time. The 40 days start from when we send in our application. I'm hoping we get given at least a week's notice for an interview, as there's a lot to prepare, especially if we have to plan ahead for some task or extra test on the interview day.

The personal statement needs to be 47 lines long (mine is currently way over- oops!) it's really not much space at all considering how much we're supposed to include.

UCAS website: You can use up to 4,000 characters or 47 lines of text (including spaces). Some word processing packages calculate character and line counts differently from the UCAS Teacher Training system, so you might need to redraft your statement if there’s a discrepancy between the counts

I've been using this for help: http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv/pgcestatements.htm
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ST10
Yeah, it is pretty basic, I think it's just to give them a rough overview of what experience you have, and then you write in more detail in the personal statement.
I know! It seems like so much to put in, but I think it helps that you then can't ramble too much & you have to be straight to the point about everything.

Pretty much. I'm going to tweak my personal statement a bit, because my teaching assistant job is now slightly different.
When do you think you'll be ready to apply by?

Yeah I guess you are right about the rambling, I tend to do that. I'm just going to try and finish a first draft then look at what I can cut out..
Aw you don't have too much to do then!
I'm hoping to get it all filled in as soon as applications open and send it off when my references come back.. I'm applying for Primary so I want to apply ASAP but I need to get this personal statement finished and as good as it can be!
What subject are you going for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending