The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fiozzers
I think Bangor looks really lovely as a place and the course seems interesting, although I'm a bit concerned as to how it would fit in if I wanted to teach in England/NI. There's also less of a bursary. I don't really know much about the other two universities, although the MMU course looks interesting and they have a scheme to help gain teaching jobs. I have my application filled out- just need to choose one and send it off!

Are you not putting 3 choices down anyway?
If you go to Bangor do you study the welsh curriculum only?
I would be tempted by MMU.
Liverpool Hope is much smaller so it depends how you feel about that too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just sent off my application.
I feel so sick! Now to play the waiting game for my references.
Original post by krystinasumner
When i wrote my personal statement it had paragraphs in but now ive put it into ucas there isn't enough space for me to keep separate lines for paragraphs and it says that if you just indent the lines with spaces that they'll get removed. Do you think it matters that my personal statement wont have paragraphs anymore? has anyone else done that?

If you click the question mark next to the personal statement box it says this :

"If you prepared your personal statement using a word-processing package and pasted it into Apply, you may find that any paragraph spacing that you included is not displayed. Don't worry - your chosen training providers will receive the original formatted version."
Original post by krystinasumner
When i wrote my personal statement it had paragraphs in but now ive put it into ucas there isn't enough space for me to keep separate lines for paragraphs and it says that if you just indent the lines with spaces that they'll get removed. Do you think it matters that my personal statement wont have paragraphs anymore? has anyone else done that?

My paragraphing has also been removed. Tough! I've killed myself to get it short enough to fit, I can't add anything! I pasted it from MS Word to Wordpad first, as I was advised to by a personal statement webpage to remove invisible editing. But Wordpad removed the paragraphing, and then I pasted it into the PS sections. I've no idea if the paragraphing will show or not.

I've just submitted. Really hope I haven't made any mistakes *worries*
(edited 9 years ago)
Ahhh I'm just adding my choices (Cardiff and Swansea)
For Cardiff it's only giving me primary PGCE welsh medium as an option, and for Swansea there is no primary PGCE option! :/ only secondary!
Any one else having this problem or know why this is?
Thanks. .. stressed!
Just a quick question about the personal statement - I'm struggling to get my statement into the correct number of lines as I'm trying to fit in a line between paragraphs to make it look more structured - has anybody just submitted their personal statement as a block with no paragraphs in? I hope that makes sense!
Does anyone know the best period of time to apply? I know the sooner the better, but ive just started as an educational officer assistant this week and my old school is letting me have a meeting for school experience on Monday so would i be much better off applying in a months time when ive actually got school experience and more experience as an officer assistant or will my later application have less chance of succeeding? Has anyone else just included what they plan to be doing over the next couple of months and hoping you will have the experience to talk about when the interview comes? Going for biology secondary if that helps
Original post by Pineapple pie
Are you not putting 3 choices down anyway?
If you go to Bangor do you study the welsh curriculum only?
I would be tempted by MMU.
Liverpool Hope is much smaller so it depends how you feel about that too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes sorry, I've already chosen my other two (Northumbria and Bath Spa) but have three to choose between for the last one. I'm thinking MMU too. It's so hard as I went to uni in Belfast so don't really know many places. Thank you for your help and good luck :-)
Reply 788
Original post by carterzzz
Does anyone know the best period of time to apply? I know the sooner the better, but ive just started as an educational officer assistant this week and my old school is letting me have a meeting for school experience on Monday so would i be much better off applying in a months time when ive actually got school experience and more experience as an officer assistant or will my later application have less chance of succeeding? Has anyone else just included what they plan to be doing over the next couple of months and hoping you will have the experience to talk about when the interview comes? Going for biology secondary if that helps

Just to let you know some providers that I E-mailed did not want your school experience to come from your own school. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Good news is I think for subjects like biology it doesn't matter if you apply a little later because the courses are less popular so you have a better chance :smile:
Original post by carterzzz

It depends on the provider. One I enquired with said wait a month but no longer. She said a month is still considered as applying early.
The other I spoke to said for my preference (early years) he would recommend getting it in asap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do we receive an email to tell us when our referee has uploaded their reference? The section for pay/send was greyed out and there was nothing else to click on once I'd clicked on the button to send emails to my referees.
Reply 791
Original post by Veggiechic6
Do we receive an email to tell us when our referee has uploaded their reference? The section for pay/send was greyed out and there was nothing else to click on once I'd clicked on the button to send emails to my referees.

I think so. Apparently we can't pay until the referees have completed their bit. So that's it for now! I've just applied too :biggrin:
What does it mean by main degree subjects and other subjects? How do I know which modules are main and which are other? And do I need to put time spent and credits or pick one? I have credits for my first year modules but they didn't count towards my degree. I have no idea I have done four modules in first year and six in second and third year. First year modules were all 30 credits, second year were all 20 and third year are all 20 except dissertation which is 40. Does anyone have any idea how to organise that into the form?
Reply 793
Original post by pgceapplicant15
What does it mean by main degree subjects and other subjects? How do I know which modules are main and which are other? And do I need to put time spent and credits or pick one? I have credits for my first year modules but they didn't count towards my degree. I have no idea I have done four modules in first year and six in second and third year. First year modules were all 30 credits, second year were all 20 and third year are all 20 except dissertation which is 40. Does anyone have any idea how to organise that into the form?

I put everything (from all 3 years) in the main subject bit and just listed the number of credits for each module (which were mostly 10). I only put two modules in the other subjects bit which were language modules outside of my faculty. I wouldn't worry too much though, I really don't think they're going to analyse it all in loads of detail.
Original post by GHicks
Just to let you know some providers that I E-mailed did not want your school experience to come from your own school. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Hey, I know that it's probably more preferable to have experience from a school that you didn't attend but I haven't seen anything about providers not accepting experience from your own own school.

Please can I ask which providers you have emailed about this?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 795
Original post by Macruiskeen
Hey, I know that it's probably more preferable to have experience from a school that you didn't attend but I haven't seen anything about providers not accepting experience from your own own school.

Please can I ask which providers you have emailed about this?

Hey yeah of course. I E-mailed a few just regarding what experience most successful applicants had on average so didn't ask directly if it can come from the school you attended. It was the Institute of Education in London that said it shouldn't really come from your own school. I also spoke to the Headteacher of my previous school and he wouldn't let me do my experience there as he knew himself it looks better if you go elsewhere. I think it's just because they prefer you to go somewhere outside of your comfort zone! But I think a lot of providers wouldn't mind, especially if you have transport issues etc! I think a lot of people assume that it's just easier because your old school is more likely to say yes whereas a lot of other schools say no. If you can I'd email as many schools as poss in your area. I E-mailed around 20 and only 5 responded but 2 of those said yes :smile:
Original post by GHicks
Hey yeah of course. I E-mailed a few just regarding what experience most successful applicants had on average so didn't ask directly if it can come from the school you attended. It was the Institute of Education in London that said it shouldn't really come from your own school. I also spoke to the Headteacher of my previous school and he wouldn't let me do my experience there as he knew himself it looks better if you go elsewhere. I think it's just because they prefer you to go somewhere outside of your comfort zone! But I think a lot of providers wouldn't mind, especially if you have transport issues etc! I think a lot of people assume that it's just easier because your old school is more likely to say yes whereas a lot of other schools say no. If you can I'd email as many schools as poss in your area. I E-mailed around 20 and only 5 responded but 2 of those said yes :smile:

Thanks for clarifying! I was worrying for a second that the experience I have at my own school wasn't going to be acceptable :smile:
Reply 797
Thanks for clarifying! I was worrying for a second that the experience I have at my own school wasn't going to be acceptable :smile:

Sorry I probably wasn't clear enough originally! Good luck!
Original post by GHicks
Sorry I probably wasn't clear enough originally! Good luck!

Thanks you too!

Think I'll get this thing sent off and then not check this thread until I start getting responses from my choices!
Reply 799
Thanks you too!

Think I'll get this thing sent off and then not check this thread until I start getting responses from my choices!

Haha yeah never thought of that I think I will do that too once I get it sent off because otherwise we will panic if others get replies!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending