The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hey everyone! I have a 3 week placement starting tomorrow, i already did a years volunteering but that was 2 years ago so i need relevant experience..can I send me application off earlier if the headteacher provides a reference say 2 weeks into the 3 weeks? Or do you have to complete the full 3 weeks and then send the application in? Thank you xx
When I was at university in London three years ago, I done some voluntary placements, but these were arranged by myself outside of university to do something with my time, I never got references and I called the schools but they seem unsure, should I still put on my application or not? I have recent experience as well.
Reply 982
I'm so so so impatient haha! I'm checking Track every hour!!! I've applied for secondary Biology in Reading, Oxford and a School Direct place! My one pointer for skills tests are REVISE! I got good grades at GCSE and I would not say they are easy!

Good Luck everyone!
Original post by Naii0mi
I'm so so so impatient haha! I'm checking Track every hour!!! I've applied for secondary Biology in Reading, Oxford and a School Direct place! My one pointer for skills tests are REVISE! I got good grades at GCSE and I would not say they are easy!

Good Luck everyone!

Have you already done the test for 2015 entry?
Reply 984
Original post by Veggiechic6
Have you already done the test for 2015 entry?

Yeah I was able to do them a while ago due to applying for Teach First. I've just been given an interview for Reading on Monday, so so so nervous!

I hammered the practice questions, if you do the same then you'll be fine!
Reply 985
Original post by Naii0mi
Yeah I was able to do them a while ago due to applying for Teach First. I've just been given an interview for Reading on Monday, so so so nervous!

Wow! Congrats on the interview and good luck!
Original post by Naii0mi

Wow, a week's notice!
When did you apply? That seems really soon to have an interview. I was hoping for Dec or Jan interviews! Hope they are close together though, assuming I get more than 1 interview!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jo1986
I just finished filling in my form last night and requested my references. I haven't received any emails yet... Is the first one I receive to say that they have agreed to be my reference or should I get one saying the email has been sent? I'm panicking they haven't got it but don't want to harass after only a day...

good luck to everyone applying!

You don't get an email to say they've been sent for. Just assume they have been. First email tells you they agree.
One of mine sent that back before the ref, the other agreed at the same time as submitting ref which was 5 days after I requested it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 988
does anyone know roughly how big a gap there is between sending the application and interviews (if you get one!)? i want to send it as soon as possible to avoid spaces filling up, but also don't feel like i would be prepared for an interview within the next couple of weeks due to uni deadlines! i'm not sure whether it's better to wait a week or two to send it or not!
Anyone know how strict University of Birmingham are with the entry requirements? Its says 'preferably' a 2:1... so maybe accepting a 2:2?
Finally paid and sent off my application! My head teacher and tutor did their references today for me yay! Been working as a full time Teaching Assistant since June this year and have done work experience while at university. Was rejected last year based on the fact i didn't have enough experience and they wanted me to work as a TA so hopefully this is enough!! fingers cross, applying for history PGCE :smile:
Original post by kayleyyy
Anyone know how strict University of Birmingham are with the entry requirements? Its says 'preferably' a 2:1... so maybe accepting a 2:2?

I'm not sure specifically for Birmingham, but I know the majority of unis want a 2:1 for the popular subjects so it depends what subject you are going for. I know if its for science and maths they actually pay people with 2:2s to take on a PGCE.

However, if you have a lot of good work experience and a strong statement, they could make exceptions. Worth a shot anyway! I'm sure quite a few have got a place with a 2:2 :smile:
I've started a thread for Secondary English applicants here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2951811&p=51356511#post51356511
Reply 993
Well, here goes!
Paid and sent my application today after my University Tutor finally completed the reference.

Applying for Secondary Languages (German and French).
Got my skills tests in early December because of big workload at uni this term, and also seems hard to find anywhere doing them this month near Durham that aren't already fully booked / aren't too difficult to get too.
Hopefully that won't be too late!
One of the courses (my first choice) says it's 'preferable' to have completed them before interview, but doesn't necessarily say you have to. The other 2 don't specify. Do you all think this will be ok?

Any other Secondary Linguist applicants?

Good luck everyone! Can't stop checking my emails now... not good!
Original post by iloveunicorns
I'm not sure specifically for Birmingham, but I know the majority of unis want a 2:1 for the popular subjects so it depends what subject you are going for. I know if its for science and maths they actually pay people with 2:2s to take on a PGCE.

However, if you have a lot of good work experience and a strong statement, they could make exceptions. Worth a shot anyway! I'm sure quite a few have got a place with a 2:2 :smile:

I applied last year for PGCE Primary, got a place with CCCU and then withdrew for personal reasons. I then got an interview in August 2014 with Worcester but didn't get the place. I'm just worried that at this time of year they have a lot of people to choose from with better degrees than me. I have a fair bit of experience (the minimum requirement from last year plus volunteering one day a week for this academic year so I'm hoping that emphasising this may just scrape me through!
Original post by kayleyyy
I applied last year for PGCE Primary, got a place with CCCU and then withdrew for personal reasons. I then got an interview in August 2014 with Worcester but didn't get the place. I'm just worried that at this time of year they have a lot of people to choose from with better degrees than me. I have a fair bit of experience (the minimum requirement from last year plus volunteering one day a week for this academic year so I'm hoping that emphasising this may just scrape me through!

If you have managed to be successful once then I don't see why you couldn't be again! Especially with all of your experience - also, as you have already experienced the application and interview process before, you will be much better prepared and will probably perform better in interview. Good luck :smile:
Reply 996
I still haven't submitted my application :redface: I have 14 days of experience in Reception so would like to use the school teacher as my second reference. I completely forgot about half term and won't be able to ask her for a reference until I'm back at school.

I'm worried that I don't have enough experience and by the time I eventually apply, I fear that some providers may no longer have vacancies. I wonder how much of a bearing our degree class has on chances of receiving an offer?

Also when did TSR stop offering a PS review service? I was counting on someone being able to review my PS, so I signed up to TSR again only to find that the service no longer exists :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 997
Original post by bun
Well, here goes!
Paid and sent my application today after my University Tutor finally completed the reference.

Applying for Secondary Languages (German and French).
Got my skills tests in early December because of big workload at uni this term, and also seems hard to find anywhere doing them this month near Durham that aren't already fully booked / aren't too difficult to get too.
Hopefully that won't be too late!
One of the courses (my first choice) says it's 'preferable' to have completed them before interview, but doesn't necessarily say you have to. The other 2 don't specify. Do you all think this will be ok?

Any other Secondary Linguist applicants?

Good luck everyone! Can't stop checking my emails now... not good!

I'm applying for French and German too :smile: where are you applying?
Reply 998
Original post by mfl2015
I'm applying for French and German too :smile: where are you applying?

Nice! Good luck! :smile:
I'm applying for York Uni PGCE, The Red Kite schools direct route linked to York and Durham Uni, how about you?
Reply 999
UCAS Teacher Training has gone down, Im going mad, I was all set to send my application tonight. Its absolutely disgusting that they let it go down at such a crucial time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending