The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scp-1981
Feeling quite down about the fact I haven't heard from any of the schools I've applied to. I've been a TA for 7 years, I'm a form tutor and deliver lessons on a daily basis so I thought I had a strong application. I've applied for secondary drama and there are only 11 places available between the 3 schools so I imagine the competition is intense. Still feels disappointing every time I check my emails. Congratulations to those who have secured places and received interview invites though :-)

Don't feel bad....no news is good news x
I had an unsuccessful response and was gutted but yesterday I got an interview. For a week I felt dreadful.
Some providers are just slower at arranging interviews. I'm sure you'll be offered an interview soon x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1581
Congratulations to all who have received offers or have interviews lined up :smile: I've just sent my application :eek: I know it's a long shot but does anyone know if unis review the applications on a weekend?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by blurrygirl
Ok, cool, I've applied for Swansea too, got an interview there on the 27th. And yeah, I'm also glad I'm not the only one who hasn't heard from them!

Original post by Nm1988
Cool! The Swansea interview sounds pretty intense! Once all of the tests are out of the way it won't be so bad, but the written task on an article is giving me nightmares! I will most likely ramble for the 30 minutes we are allowed to write and pray its at Master's level :tongue:

Hi both! I've also got an interview for Swanea Lower Primary.
I'm slightly worried about the written task too!!
With the photographs are you planning some ideas etc.? Annoying that we can't see the photos till the day! Eeek!
Original post by katie543
I have one too for next Friday :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mines on the 28th. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Chrislittle
Mines on the 28th. Good luck :smile:

Same. Good luck to you too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TacoA113
Hi Katie. What did the written test involve? How do you feel the whole thing went? Best of luck xx

Hey. Well it wasn't really what I would call a written task. It involved choosing a question to write about how I would teach to a class :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1586
Since submitting their application has anyone noticed any mistakes? I did try to proof read my app but with the damn character limit I seem to have overlooked two slight mistakes where for some reason the 's' at the end of two words is missing :frown: They weren't in my PS but the work experience sections. I'm so annoyed with myself :mad:
Do you receive an email when the references are completed? And do they both receive them at the same time or does the principal get it first?
Reply 1588
Original post by Zoe_88
Do you receive an email when the references are completed? And do they both receive them at the same time or does the principal get it first?

Yes, you receive an email both when the referees agree to the request and when they actually complete the reference. As far as I'm aware both requests are sent at the same time.
Original post by Sim245
Yes, you receive an email both when the referees agree to the request and when they actually complete the reference. As far as I'm aware both requests are sent at the same time.

Great thank you. Just want to know what to look out for eep!
Original post by Scp-1981
Feeling quite down about the fact I haven't heard from any of the schools I've applied to. I've been a TA for 7 years, I'm a form tutor and deliver lessons on a daily basis so I thought I had a strong application. I've applied for secondary drama and there are only 11 places available between the 3 schools so I imagine the competition is intense. Still feels disappointing every time I check my emails. Congratulations to those who have secured places and received interview invites though :-)

Yeah me too! I am genuinely feeling fed up this weekend...not a peep from anyone. At least I can stop checking till Monday but it's very disheartening.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laura.a.c265
Yeah me too! I am genuinely feeling fed up this weekend...not a peep from anyone. At least I can stop checking till Monday but it's very disheartening.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll be absolutely fine, I bet you'll get all 3 offers! Remember the unis have 40 days to invite you for interview so i'm sure you'll get some soon enough. PS I know a few people who got invites on Saturday's so maybe today is the day :biggrin: xx
Original post by Charleyy259
You'll be absolutely fine, I bet you'll get all 3 offers! Remember the unis have 40 days to invite you for interview so i'm sure you'll get some soon enough. PS I know a few people who got invites on Saturday's so maybe today is the day :biggrin: xx

Track is down till 6pm tomorrow so I can lay off checking haha! Driving my poor husband crazy :-)

I know my first choice is holding the first interview on Dec 10th so I am hoping they are just taking their time and not that my application was rubbish lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laura.a.c265
Track is down till 6pm tomorrow so I can lay off checking haha! Driving my poor husband crazy :-)

I know my first choice is holding the first interview on Dec 10th so I am hoping they are just taking their time and not that my application was rubbish lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I had an interview with my first choice on Wednesday and only had 4 days to prepare but it seemed to go really well, should find out if I past the first interview in 7 days so i'm checking my emails like a loon too haha its for School Direct so if they liked me they pass my application onto the school so fingers crossed :-D!!

I'm sure your application was brilliant, they're probably just waiting for enough people to get a group interview together, their probably not all eager like us!! :biggrin: xx
Original post by Charleyy259
Ah I had an interview with my first choice on Wednesday and only had 4 days to prepare but it seemed to go really well, should find out if I past the first interview in 7 days so i'm checking my emails like a loon too haha its for School Direct so if they liked me they pass my application onto the school so fingers crossed :-D!!

I'm sure your application was brilliant, they're probably just waiting for enough people to get a group interview together, their probably not all eager like us!! :biggrin: xx

It's for RE which isn't the most popular subject so hopefully that's the case!

I hope you hear back soon, that's quite an intense process isn't it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sim245
Since submitting their application has anyone noticed any mistakes? I did try to proof read my app but with the damn character limit I seem to have overlooked two slight mistakes where for some reason the 's' at the end of two words is missing :frown: They weren't in my PS but the work experience sections. I'm so annoyed with myself :mad:

Yeah I checked mine over so many times and once it was submitted found two errors in personal statement, not sure if one is major or not (as I put a comma in a sentence that then made it look like I have more teaching experience than I do!). I'm worried that they might say something at interview and I'll have to explain that it was a mistake, I hope they don't think I was trying to pretend to have more experience than I do :/!
Original post by lilymc
I am applying from NI to study PGCE primary in London. I am hoping to apply before 2nd week Dec. Good luck with your application.

Do you know if we are entitled to apply for a student loan for PGCE from ni student loans if we are applying to study in Eng?

Hi, that's a relief as I think I'll leave mine for another week yet! Thanks, all the best to you too :smile: I'm applying for Biology at Edge Hill, Canterbury and Manchester.

Yeah, as long as you have a home address in NI it goes through student finance NI I think. Not 100% sure though

Have you applied to Coleraine as well or just London?
Just read this on the Oxford PGCE website and panicked:

"We will expect you to have taken and passed both of the tests before you come for interview. In exceptional circumstances we may be able to go ahead with your interview before you have passed both tests"

I have booked my skills tests (Literary for 2nd December, Maths for 15th January). They have until 19th January to make a decision about my application and if they were to offer me an interview I would think it would most certainly be before my Maths Skills Test. Do you think due to this they will reject my application? In which case, since the 7 day period is not up since I first submitted my application do you think I would be better off switching Oxford for a different choice? Major panicking now :s-smilie:!
Original post by whatslew
Got my first response today!! An interview at Roehampton uni next week :biggrin:!

Well done, I also have an interview with Roehampton, what date is yours?

Mine is the 26th, but it clashes with an assessed presentation I have. I emailed them Thursday asking if I could change the date, but haven't had a response back yet, might ring them Tues if I don't hear anything Monday. Does anyone know if they are ok about doing this? I'm really worried that the next date they offer me I won't be able to attend either and I'm going to sound like I don't want it enough.
Original post by bluenose_maz
Just read this on the Oxford PGCE website and panicked:

"We will expect you to have taken and passed both of the tests before you come for interview. In exceptional circumstances we may be able to go ahead with your interview before you have passed both tests"

I have booked my skills tests (Literary for 2nd December, Maths for 15th January). They have until 19th January to make a decision about my application and if they were to offer me an interview I would think it would most certainly be before my Maths Skills Test. Do you think due to this they will reject my application? In which case, since the 7 day period is not up since I first submitted my application do you think I would be better off switching Oxford for a different choice? Major panicking now :s-smilie:!

Did it say this on their course page before you applied? I've noticed changing goalposts with some of my choices, the entry requirements on the course page and the entry requirements on their UCAS listing are slightly different.

It might be a idea to call them and see how strict they are. But if this requirement was always listed on the course page and you just didn't see it, you would be at fault for not ensuring you met the requirements before applying. It's lucky you saw it before the 7 days are up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending