The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noorii
Whilst waiting for my final reference I'm just making sure I'm 100% with the choices I've put down. MMU state they require 2 weeks work experience but I only have a week, I thought that I would risk it and still put it down as a choice as I went to MMU for my undergrad and would really like to stay there, but is it too much of a risk? Should I just go for another uni? Or do you think I still stand a chance despite not having the minimum work experience requirements?

Thanks.

I think if you apply there you risk being rejected without consideration for not having the minimum requirements. Mmu does have a longer minimum than most others so it's up to you how badly you want mum whether you think it's worth the risk or not? I've heard from others that you can change a choice within 7 days so maybe put it on there and if they do say it's not enough you can change them and still have another choice? They replied to me in 3 days so you shouldn't have to wait long
Original post by G_Windy
Ok, I know this isn't the skills tests thread, but this one is busier so I'm posting it here...
Just tried some of the practice numeracy tests and I am now completely freaked out at how difficult they were. Can anyone tell me of you're allowed scrap paper to jot on during the mental arithmetic section?
Ugh... I thought I was ok with maths. :'(

Hi.try not to worry too much. Have you booked your skills test? I've always found maths difficult, but after practicing for a bit too my feelings much Better. The strategies which are used aeem to be really similar throughout the same tests. I would really recommend numeracy ready. You also get a whiteboard that you can write on during the test
Passed my literacy test, just numeracy to go now :frown:
Original post by G_Windy
Ok, I know this isn't the skills tests thread, but this one is busier so I'm posting it here...
Just tried some of the practice numeracy tests and I am now completely freaked out at how difficult they were. Can anyone tell me of you're allowed scrap paper to jot on during the mental arithmetic section?
Ugh... I thought I was ok with maths. :'(

The first time I looked at the practise test it scared me but you just need to be prepared. You will have a whiteboard and pen to make notes throughout the maths test which will help. As said above, all the questions on every practise test are similar so look at what type of questions they are and work out strategies to answer them, lots of people have found gcse bbc bite size really helpful for revision
Has anyone got an interview with Worcester tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just got out of a school direct interview. It's a waiting game now! I'm feeling really positive. Only struggled with 1 question and they helped me out so I could answer it!
My activity with the children seemed to go really well.
Just want to know either way now!
Now to revise literacy for tomorrow's test!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1786
Original post by Pineapple pie
I've just got out of a school direct interview. It's a waiting game now! I'm feeling really positive. Only struggled with 1 question and they helped me out so I could answer it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great! Well done. Whatever happens you can come away knowing you did your best. Good luck :smile:
Reply 1787
Original post by Jadey1987
Hi, good luck with your interviews everyone!

Is there anybody applying for primary PGCE at Bristol uwe or gloucestshire?

Xx

Original post by rlprice93
Hi, I had an interview with Gloucestershire last Saturday, but I haven't heard from UWE yet! Have you heard anything from either? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

^likewise. Had an interview with Gloucestershire and anxiously waiting to hear!
Reply 1788
Just got my interview through for Birmingham! Only a presentation, group discussion, interview, written task and skills audit to go... Wouldn't be quite so worried if I didn't have an assessed presentation the day after.
Original post by Pineapple pie

Posted from TSR Mobile

All the best, really hope you get on!
Reply 1790
I just got two more interview offers this morning, for Bangor and Cardiff so now I have interviews at all 3 of my choices! I'm really surprised, I wasn't sure I'd get any!! My degree is unrelated to primary education and I got a 2:2 but I guess I won them over with my personal statement or something?! :biggrin:

Has anyone had confirmation from UCAS before getting an email from the uni? For the first two interviews I got emails from the unis first, but for Cardiff its updated on track but no info from the uni yet...
Well I'm back, I survived my first interview day. It was good chatting to the other candidates. I think my teaching task went as well as it could have, it was interesting to see what the others did. The interview seemed short and straightforward, the maths task was pretty easy and the writing task was fine. Now I've got to start preparing for tomorrow's interview day.
Original post by Veggiechic6
Well I'm back, I survived my first interview day. It was good chatting to the other candidates. I think my teaching task went as well as it could have, it was interesting to see what the others did. The interview seemed short and straightforward, the maths task was pretty easy and the writing task was fine. Now I've got to start preparing for tomorrow's interview day.

Well done! Good luck with your next one :smile:
Guys I'm getting really stressed out. Its been almost 3 weeks since I sent my reference requests and the head teacher at the school I did my work experience still hasnt done it. The head teacher is the dad of one of my housemates who I have had a bit of a falling out with and Im paranoid that she has told him something and he is purposefully delaying doing my reference. I know head teachers are busy people but I feel like he should understand how competitive the field is and be trying to help me get my application off quickly??
I've sent him two reminders on UCAS and an email and still nothing :/
Original post by mammamia:0
Guys I'm getting really stressed out. Its been almost 3 weeks since I sent my reference requests and the head teacher at the school I did my work experience still hasnt done it. The head teacher is the dad of one of my housemates who I have had a bit of a falling out with and Im paranoid that she has told him something and he is purposefully delaying doing my reference. I know head teachers are busy people but I feel like he should understand how competitive the field is and be trying to help me get my application off quickly??

Personally I'd pick another referee and swap it out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you not replace him with a teacher who you worked closely with or the head of the department you worked in (for secondary)
Original post by laura.a.c265
Personally I'd pick another referee and swap it out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

but he is the head teacher of the school i did work experience at and i did both of my 2 weeks there so dont i need to include him?
but he is the head teacher of the school i did work experience at and i did both of my 2 weeks there so dont i need to include him?

I didn't use a school reference, I've had a job for a long time so I used my boss as I thought he would give a more accurate reflection of my strengths etc. I got an interview at my first choice so it can't be a massive issue. I would call the uni and explain the situation and ask if they would accept an alternative. Only they can really advise you as they all have such specific requirements. Hopefully they will be understanding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Do you have a way to ask the class teacher you worked with instead of the head teacher?

I agree with the comment to swap him out, whether he's doing it on purpose which would be very unprofessional, or not, 3 weeks is a long time to wait for a reference.
You still need a reference from the school you did your placement at or you'll have nothing to support your work experience but that doesn't mean it has to come from the head.
I got my class teacher to write my reference, she was fine with that and so were the uni's that i applied to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending