The Student Room Group

Do you believe asking someone to be in a relationship via text/IM counts?

I don't believe it counts as you're not asking them with your voice, it's like asking someone to marry you via text...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes of course it counts it would be unpleasant just to completely ignore it as it it didn't happen. Before the age of social media and mobiles galore and so on then this would have been almost unheard of but it's just the way of life for some people now, the way they've been brought up with society and the technology available.

But sometimes people have little choice or even prefer it that way. For example LDRs, if you're in the army or always travelling with work, or maybe you have personal issues or problems and find it much more in your comfort zone to ask things like that away from face to face.

Personally I would say it's much better face to face of course, but I wouldn't look negatively at anyone who didn't do so.
Original post by lee1985
Yes of course it counts it would be unpleasant just to completely ignore it as it it didn't happen. Before the age of social media and mobiles galore and so on then this would have been almost unheard of but it's just the way of life for some people now, the way they've been brought up with society and the technology available.

But sometimes people have little choice or even prefer it that way. For example LDRs, if you're in the army or always travelling with work, or maybe you have personal issues or problems and find it much more in your comfort zone to ask things like that away from face to face.

Personally I would say it's much better face to face of course, but I wouldn't look negatively at anyone who didn't do so.

I still don't believe it counts, you can't see the other person's reactions.
Original post by MylittlePlusle

Dude, whether you want to believe it or not, it counts - deal with it.
Reply 4

You could hear them, though?

Yes, it's nice to see the other persons' reactions but that doesn't mean it doesn't count, it's just that you'd prefer to see them in person.

You'll obviously get different peoples opinions here.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Dude, whether you want to believe it or not, it counts - deal with it.

So if someone asks their partner to marry them via text it counts? That's pathetic!
So if someone asks their partner to marry them via text it counts? That's pathetic!

Yes it does count, but I would be quite embarrassed never the less if it happened to me.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Yes it does count, but I would be quite embarrassed never the less if it happened to me.

I don't think it does, I believe you need to hear someone ask you to be with them for it to be official.

According to you my 30+ online "relationships" are all real becuase I typed "Will you be my girlfriend?"
I don't think it does, I believe you need to hear someone ask you to be with them for it to be official.

According to you my 30+ online "relationships" are all real becuase I typed "Will you be my girlfriend?"

So you obviously don't want to hear other peoples opinions if they're not the same as yours? Why do you care about this so much
Original post by jamez870
So you obviously don't want to hear other peoples opinions if they're not the same as yours? Why do you care about this so much

I'm just wondering what people think. I think people should wait until they are able to see the other person's face, until then it's not official.
Yes of course it counts. However that depends on both the parties involved whether they acknowledged that. My relationship pretty much began with text and my husband first said that 3 little words to me via text.

Posted from TSR Mobile
will u be my bf plz
Original post by Peachykeen09
will u be my bf plz

Um... .-. I don't know you, you don't know me, I've not seen your face at all or heard your voice...
Captain Jack, will you marry me?
Original post by donutaud15
Yes of course it counts. However that depends on both the parties involved whether they acknowledged that. My relationship pretty much began with text and my husband first said that 3 little words to me via text.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as asked you to be his girlfriend with his voice as you two saw each other's faces and he asked you to marry him with you being there it's fine.
My bf asked me out via text after he told me he liked me in person... I guess it counts cuz we've been together for a couple of years now :smile:
You are the person who is in a relationship with a girl you have never met, and she is in the USA, and she is 15 whilst you are 21, right?
As long as asked you to be his girlfriend with his voice as you two saw each other's faces and he asked you to marry him with you being there it's fine.

He never asked me to be his gf. But we acknowledged that our relationship started with texting not when we officially met.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
He never asked me to be his gf. But we acknowledged that our relationship started with texting not when we officially met.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes no sense to me.
Original post by EatAndRevise
You are the person who is in a relationship with a girl you have never met, and she is in the USA, and she is 15 whilst you are 21, right?

Yes but as I said before I didn't type anything out becuase it wouldn't make it real. That has nothing to do with this topic.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending