The Student Room Group

A-level results don't matter.. right?!

I always get mixed opinion on this.. some people even say that the very big firms and companies want straight A A-level results too.. please tell me this isn't true :frown:

I got ABB.. surely these results shouldn't be a problem right?

Scroll to see replies

As far as I'm aware, some graduate schemes ask for a minimum amount of UCAS Tariff points.
Reply 2
What do you want to do? Sector/job-wise. Very high end results really only come into play for a particular few areas.

For 99% of things I can't see those results being a problem. Typical cut-offs that i've seen have been around 300-320 pts, which you'd be fine for. Even if you do get caught on a few filters it's not going to be the end of the world. Tons of employers would be happy with those results, with a relevant/decent degree result.
Reply 3
Original post by TheBBQ
very big firms and companies

If you're applying for these guys, chances are you'd have a degree anyway.

I haven't had a single interviewer who cared about what I got / did at A-level, as long as I had the degree.
Reply 4
Original post by Nymthae
What do you want to do? Sector/job-wise. Very high end results really only come into play for a particular few areas.

For 99% of things I can't see those results being a problem. Typical cut-offs that i've seen have been around 300-320 pts, which you'd be fine for. Even if you do get caught on a few filters it's not going to be the end of the world. Tons of employers would be happy with those results, with a relevant/decent degree result.

I'm not sure, but I'm going to be studying Maths & Physics at University of Bristol, so I'm going to have a lot of options. :redface:

I'm interested in anything mildly related to these subjects.. which includes Finance, Software, Engineering, Banking.. etc. I'm not entirely sure yet :redface:
Finance jobs usually have a UCAS tariff points cut off. They are not bothered about specific grades although the odd job asks for A in A-Levels Maths.
Reply 6
Original post by NX172
If you're applying for these guys, chances are you'd have a degree anyway.

I haven't had a single interviewer who cared about what I got / did at A-level, as long as I had the degree.

Graduate schemes pretty much unanimously have a UCAS requirement.
Reply 7
Original post by Reluctant Economist
Finance jobs usually have a UCAS tariff points cut off. They are not bothered about specific grades although the odd job asks for A in A-Levels Maths.

Thankfully that's the A-level I got my A in :biggrin:
Reply 8
Some graduate schemes will ask for a certain amount of UCAS points, usually 300-320, which you meet with ABB anyway. There are a lot of graduate jobs where it doesn't matter though.
Original post by TheBBQ
Thankfully that's the A-level I got my A in :biggrin:

You'll be fine then. Don't stress. Just try and get amazing grades for 1st year and some spring internship. What do you specifically want to go into?
Reply 10
Original post by Zottula
Some graduate schemes will ask for a certain amount of UCAS points, usually 300-320, which you meet with ABB anyway. There are a lot of graduate jobs where it doesn't matter though.

Thank you!

You'll be fine then. Don't stress. Just try and get amazing grades for 1st year and some spring internship. What do you specifically want to go into?

Thanks :smile: no idea yet.. I'm just open minded to loads of different career.. hopefully I find out on the way :redface:
Original post by TheBBQ
Thank you!

Thanks :smile: no idea yet.. I'm just open minded to loads of different career.. hopefully I find out on the way :redface:

Then piece of advice. Get Atleast a couple of internships/research jobs lined up!! It will help when applying for jobs. :smile:
Reply 12
Then piece of advice. Get Atleast a couple of internships/research jobs lined up!! It will help when applying for jobs. :smile:

I plan on making the most out of uni.. definitely going to try get some experience in there, if possible inside the university itself.
Original post by TheBBQ
I plan on making the most out of uni.. definitely going to try get some experience in there, if possible inside the university itself.

Oh the possibilities. I wish I was a fresher. To be so young and naive again! Bliss :smile:
Reply 14
Oh the possibilities. I wish I was a fresher. To be so young and naive again! Bliss :smile:

I'm not that young though, I'm starting at 21 :tongue:
Original post by TheBBQ
I'm not that young though, I'm starting at 21 :tongue:

How come? Gap year?
Reply 16
How come? Gap year?

Bad school experiences and stuff :colondollar:
Original post by TheBBQ
Bad school experiences and stuff :colondollar:

Oh well in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter! :P
Reply 18
Oh well in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter! :P

That's true, except I'm 3 years older than i should be:tongue:
Original post by TheBBQ
That's true, except I'm 3 years older than i should be:tongue:

My sister took a gap year and started uni late as well. Doesn't make a difference. I would say you are going to get more out of the whole experience because you'll be mature enough to have your priorities right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending