The Student Room Group

Almost given up hope of ever getting a job.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juichiro
Isn't this common sense? If they don't llike degrees don't put it on the CV! There is no national database of graduates so unless you tell them they won't know. You need to play the game.

You just made the same point twice... And i replied twice. More fool me.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
What? No.. It's that I like to remain anonymous. If I go around saying what I'm qualified as and then someone takes offence to something I say on here it wouldn't be particularly hard to identify who I was (I've posted what uni I went to, when I graduated, my age etc) which could result in me being struck off. We're not even allowed to put certain things on Facebook so I'm just cautious online.

I've been quite open before that my first degree was psychology, I just don't think that's relevant as it's not the degree I'm using to get jobs, as I have a professional qualification now which I feel overrides it somewhat.

Why would I want a job as a nurse when I'm already a qualified Healthcare professional (think physio but not physio in terms of job grade)? I have applied for lower grade jobs for the mean time but that's not my ambition. You don't really sound like you know what you're talking about tbh....

How could someone that does not know you could identify you if
a) you don't give your name
and
b) you keep your Facebook profile inacessible to non-friends?
Original post by a10
You're not a "qualified healthcare professional" until you get lot's of experience behind you. Why do you think people who do medicine for example have to do lot's of shadowing in hospitals etc.? Getting the degree is only one step but that's not the be all end of.

I was basing my comment from my own personal experience. My mother is a nurse and (and oddly enough my dad is a doctor) many of my mums friends including my half sister work in the NHS.

Half of your sister works in the NHS. Where does the other half work? :tongue:
If I did that for both my degrees I'd have a 6 year employment gap haha! I'd rather be honest, I don't like lying on cvs it feels wrong!

All my interviews so far have been with women, so not much chance of that! Not that I'd ever do such a thing! Haha

You did 2 degrees in a row? My bad, a uni geek girl. :biggrin: How did you fund the second one? If you need to lie to get a job, then lie. People do worse things for a job. You come across as a lovely nice girl so once they see you working hard they will come to trust you and like you.
You just made the same point twice... And i replied twice. More fool me.

You are no fool, my dear Welsh girl. :smile:
How could someone that does not know you could identify you if
a) you don't give your name
and
b) you keep your Facebook profile inacessible to non-friends?

I'm sure there is enough information. Obviously it would never happen and probably require a CSI level of investigative skill but nevertheless I want to keep as safe as possible... I'd be more worried about people who may use this site who know me in real life recognising me tbh, as far as I am aware there isn't anyone but you never know!

Also would it kill you to read all my posts then do a multiquote before you spam quote me with everything I've written on this thread?
You are no fool, my dear Welsh girl. :smile:

I'm not Welsh. Awkward.
I'm sure there is enough information. Obviously it would never happen and probably require a CSI level of investigative skill but nevertheless I want to keep as safe as possible... I'd be more worried about people who may use this site who know me in real life recognising me tbh, as far as I am aware there isn't anyone but you never know!

Also would it kill you to read all my posts then do a multiquote before you spam quote me with everything I've written on this thread?

Mae'n ddrwg gennyf. :redface:
Reply 48
Half of your sister works in the NHS. Where does the other half work? :tongue:

lol, russia :tongue:

:lol:
I'm not Welsh. Awkward.

Awkward indeed. :colondollar:

If this was a date, it would be really odd.
So I have two degrees, (a 2.1 and a 1st),the most recent being in a healthcare profession from a Russell group uni. I have a moderate amount of experience from placements and from other voluntary stuff.

I've applied to about 40 vacancies since graduating. I've had 2 interviews which were both very unsuccessful. Both stating I was too inexperienced.

How can one be experienced if no one is willing to employ them? I'm not talking about a few days of work experience, these jobs want long term experience as a qualified professional.

I've also applied to lots of minimum wage Healthcare type jobs, and care home jobs. For which I have been rejected. I am assuming due to being over qualified.

I know I'm not entitled to a job, and I know there are people in far worse potions than me. I just felt like making this ranty post because I'm facing the prospect of turning 26 and still being unemployed and living with my parents.

It's insane how quickly things can change, less than 3 weeks ago I was in your boat. I'd applied for 40-60 jobs since july and didn't have a single interview under my belt, the JSA were sending me on silly things and planning to send me on more. Now, just three weeks later I'm sitting on two job offers - so chin up and keep at it, you'll get there :console:

And I had so many knock backs from fairly mundane jobs, ASDA/Tesco/Phone stores/hotels
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You're not alone :hugs:

Original post by Dave saves
It's insane how quickly things can change, less than 3 weeks ago I was in your boat. I'd applied for 40-60 jobs since july and didn't have a single interview under my belt, the JSA were sending me on silly things and planning to send me on more. Now, just three weeks later I'm sitting on two job offers - so chin up and keep at it, you'll get there :console:

And I had so many knock backs from fairly mundane jobs, ASDA/Tesco/Phone stores/hotels

Welldone! Thanks for the encouragement, I really hope soon I can say the same! I think the knock backs from menial jobs are the worst! So depressing! Good luck choosing which job to take!
Just a thought it may be worth your while to get an NHS job at a much lower level or even not quite what you want , so that you'll qualify as an internal candidate?
Original post by pickup
Just a thought it may be worth your while to get an NHS job at a much lower level or even not quite what you want , so that you'll qualify as an internal candidate?

Yeah this is my cunning plan.. However the snag is I want to move away and I couldn't really live off the wages that these jobs pay. I am trying though and have been applying for band 2/3 HCA jobs all over the place.
Wow, some people on this thread are being a little tough...

OP: I have very little experience in this, but it sounds like you match the qualification requirements for the jobs you really want. You also have experience in the field. Yes, it may have been voluntary or while you were not qualified, but you will still have learnt a huge range of essential skills. Perhaps you need to work on your interview skills a bit more, as well as fine tune your CV etc.? Your previous university may be able to help with these - many universities offer careers support to recent graduates.

Make sure you are tailoring each application to the specific job - so go through their specification and make sure you have clearly demonstrated the skills and experience they require. E.g. if they say they need someone with experience working in a caring environment, say 'I gained experience of a caring environment while... '. Sometimes, you really need to make it obvious that you match 100% their criteria in your CV and covering letter.

When it comes to interviews, again make sure you know their requirements off by heart, and have a couple of examples for where you demonstrated each. Sound genuinely interested in the job, and if relevant remaining within the company/ department for a significant period of time (e.g. do some research beforehand on potential opportunities for promotion or gaining additional responsibilities - then ask for more details on these at interview, although make sure you don't sound like you're trying to take the interviewers' jobs!).
Yeah this is my cunning plan.. However the snag is I want to move away and I couldn't really live off the wages that these jobs pay. I am trying though and have been applying for band 2/3 HCA jobs all over the place.

Do keep trying. I know it seems so hard! My relative has been trying for a job for ages even applied for Grade 2 jobs of all kinds and got nowhere until, you have to laugh, the last one he applied for he didn't get again but they asked him to apply for a much higher grade job which he got today.

It's a numbers game. So think of each job you apply for, as one step nearer the job you will get. 'I need to apply for 100 jobs to get one so that's 55, now I'm past the half way mark in this race....etc."

Good luck!

Welldone! Thanks for the encouragement, I really hope soon I can say the same! I think the knock backs from menial jobs are the worst! So depressing! Good luck choosing which job to take!

Yeah ASDA knocked me back at the online test for a 16hr job, and then the JSA sent me on a mini open day there to get an insight into the interview process only for them to tell me because i failed the test I couldn't apply again for 6 months.

I was annoyed with getting knocked back for jobs related to my degree as well, where they only asked for GCSE's/A Level and no experience. Exasperating it was. The NHS in particular.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/roles/

https://www.army.mod.uk/rolefinder

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/role-finder?g=2&t=2&a={823268AA-F31E-4A28-BBF1-7FEE789D2C80}%2c

Various medical roles in the armed forces reserve, might not be what you ideally want to do but it give you experience and pay whilst you wait for the job you want to come along. Also the oppertunity to make contacts with in the industry since it is typically to find professional medical staff from civilian life serving in the military reserve medical services.
Are you from Finland? How did you two meet? I am feeling curious. :tongue:

I am not Finnish (nor English!), we didn't even meet in either of our homelands, and she had a boyfriend. It's a long and very cheesy story that I will be happy to write privately (after all, this is not a romance thread! :biggrin: ).

I promise I'll jot down something when I have a minute today or during the weekend :biggrin:
So I have two degrees, (a 2.1 and a 1st),the most recent being in a healthcare profession from a Russell group uni. I have a moderate amount of experience from placements and from other voluntary stuff.

I've applied to about 40 vacancies since graduating. I've had 2 interviews which were both very unsuccessful. Both stating I was too inexperienced.

How can one be experienced if no one is willing to employ them? I'm not talking about a few days of work experience, these jobs want long term experience as a qualified professional.

I've also applied to lots of minimum wage Healthcare type jobs, and care home jobs. For which I have been rejected. I am assuming due to being over qualified.

I know I'm not entitled to a job, and I know there are people in far worse potions than me. I just felt like making this ranty post because I'm facing the prospect of turning 26 and still being unemployed and living with my parents.

Hi
I trained as a nurse with lots of placement hours and have now worked as a qualified nurse in the NHS for 5 years (now part time as studying medicine, but working as a band 7) so have quite a bit of experience with job applications etc. I have a few bits of advice based on what I think is your qualification

1) Get someone to read your application forms. When candidates are selected HR/management literally tick off a bunch of checkboxes to narrow down candidates, you ma be missing off some key skills/attributes just because you didn't think to put them down. It's so important to very carefully read the job description and supporting information. You really shouldn't need qualified experience for most band 5 roles, you are someone they can train to work the way they want the job done, having lots of experience doesn't necessarily make someone better than you
2) Apply for associated roles. Once in the NHS system it is much easier to get a qualified job. I have physio friends who had to do this. HCA, department practitioners, theatre assistants, rehab assistants, community HCA's, ward clerk work, lab assistant, porter, drug workers or even phone advice lines such as with the ambulance service and 111 (you would be surprised, they are not terribly paid). Be open minded, GP surgeries need receptionists, community hospitals need rehab assistants. These are all transferable skills.
3) Write down a list of every mentor/manager/practitioner you have EVER worked with on placement and email/call/pester them. Explain how much you LOVED working with them and can they bear you in mind next time they are recruiting. People like hiring people they know. I got my first newly qualified job this way

Private message me if you want any more advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending