The Student Room Group

Wasted my life away and need advice

I know that by saying i feel like i've 'wasted my life away' sounds rather cliché, but do hear me out.

Okay, so I have finished University and obtained a petty average degree; 2:2 in Law.
Rewind my life 3 years ago before I even considered going into University (it was literally a last minute decision), I would NEVER have thought that I would be doing LAW. I never studied it prior or anything.

At A-Levels i studied Drama, History and Psychology. Random combination to jump to Law, right?

I had a huge interest in performing arts/acting wise after nailing an A in Drama GCSE, and a B at A-level studies in it. I would have loved to pursue something out of this, but my father persuaded me that it's just a hobby and fantasy thing, and that I should focus on a 'proper' career. He directed me to Law as it's a well respected degree I guess.

Anyway, i seemed to grasp Year 1 and 2 relatively well and got 60s and 70s marks. But messed up big in Year 3 - so i landed with a 2:2. Making my life MORE difficult than needs be.
It's at this point that I wished that I just went with my gut instinct and just went with something that I enjoy - i realise that i'm a practical person, not an office type. I just want to get back to expressing myself through performance.

What i'm asking for advice for is; what is the next step for me? I know that Student finance won't fund a second degree, and I understand that Central School of Speech and Drama offer short-courses, but is that sufficient enough to go somewhere with it?

Bearing in mind I am 21, if anyone is wondering - but i already feel that the clock is ticking to choose a destiny of where my career path will go. All sensible replies appreciated.

Thanks for reading!
Zaine.
Reply 1
Original post by iRiaz
I know that by saying i feel like i've 'wasted my life away' sounds rather cliché, but do hear me out.

Okay, so I have finished University and obtained a petty average degree; 2:2 in Law.
Rewind my life 3 years ago before I even considered going into University (it was literally a last minute decision), I would NEVER have thought that I would be doing LAW. I never studied it prior or anything.

At A-Levels i studied Drama, History and Psychology. Random combination to jump to Law, right?

I had a huge interest in performing arts/acting wise after nailing an A in Drama GCSE, and a B at A-level studies in it. I would have loved to pursue something out of this, but my father persuaded me that it's just a hobby and fantasy thing, and that I should focus on a 'proper' career. He directed me to Law as it's a well respected degree I guess.

Anyway, i seemed to grasp Year 1 and 2 relatively well and got 60s and 70s marks. But messed up big in Year 3 - so i landed with a 2:2. Making my life MORE difficult than needs be.
It's at this point that I wished that I just went with my gut instinct and just went with something that I enjoy - i realise that i'm a practical person, not an office type. I just want to get back to expressing myself through performance.

What i'm asking for advice for is; what is the next step for me? I know that Student finance won't fund a second degree, and I understand that Central School of Speech and Drama offer short-courses, but is that sufficient enough to go somewhere with it?

Bearing in mind I am 21, if anyone is wondering - but i already feel that the clock is ticking to choose a destiny of where my career path will go. All sensible replies appreciated.

Thanks for reading!
Zaine.

Hey Zaine, Never say you've wasted your life away man, It's all experience. Im 24 and just going for my degree, messed around with various low paying jobs while I decided what I wanted to do... Do I regret it? Course not, It wasn't a waste, and neither was your law degree, so you say you want to do performing arts, Then go for it, You have the best part of 70 odd years left yet, There's time to start again completely if that's what you feel you want to do. The clock isn't ticking, it's only just begun, Good luck :smile:
I agree with what Ryan said and I'd suggest that you try and get as much acting and performance experience as you can. I know a few people who have joined amateur groups as adults and are now making a living from acting.

As for courses look around and see what different ones are available at different drama schools. Short courses may not get you fully where you want to be, but they would most likely equip you with valuable skills, experience and contacts. You mention Central so I am assuming that you are either in London or able to get there. If you are there is the Poor School that you could look into as they do actor training for adults which I think works out a lot cheaper than drama school training. Also, I have looked into Oxford School of Drama. They do a one year course that is accredited and you can get a 24+ learning loan for it (which you can get even if you have a degree already) so this may be something for you to consider in the future. Alternatively, you could look into doing an MA in Acting (although I don't know what the costs and funding options are).

Hope this helps :smile:
Your life has just begun... you haven't wasted it.
Reply 4
Original post by InsanityLoaded
I agree with what Ryan said and I'd suggest that you try and get as much acting and performance experience as you can. I know a few people who have joined amateur groups as adults and are now making a living from acting.

As for courses look around and see what different ones are available at different drama schools. Short courses may not get you fully where you want to be, but they would most likely equip you with valuable skills, experience and contacts. You mention Central so I am assuming that you are either in London or able to get there. If you are there is the Poor School that you could look into as they do actor training for adults which I think works out a lot cheaper than drama school training. Also, I have looked into Oxford School of Drama. They do a one year course that is accredited and you can get a 24+ learning loan for it (which you can get even if you have a degree already) so this may be something for you to consider in the future. Alternatively, you could look into doing an MA in Acting (although I don't know what the costs and funding options are).

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you, this has helped me a lot!

I actually live in Stoke-on-Trent, but this 1-year acting course seems to be the answer i was looking for, and that it could be funded :smile:

Although it seems i may be too late to apply for this academic year, would you advise me to in the mean time, do a short course (or equivalent) to get back in the 'zone' and apply for the 2015/16? I suppose i could also work too to earn some money on the side.

Also, thank you all for the other replies, they really have boosted my confidence :smile:
I'm in a similarish position to you. I would advise you to at least get involved in local theatre/plays, and get that opportunity to act and develop your skills. All the best, you haven't wasted any of your life, what's done is done.
Reply 6
What a mess...

Quick Reply

Latest