The Student Room Group

HM treasury Policy Advisor Grad Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
.... Unless you don't pass the situational judgement test of course

Posted from TSR Mobile
I waited so I could gain some wisdom from those heading into the fire before me but, nothing guys. Good luck to all though! So does everyone get a invitation to the next tests and/or get their results?
I believe that to be the case... I'm just about to take the situational judgement test now - feeling prepped and ready! Any last minute words of encouragement (or cheeky hints for suggestions? :wink:)

I applied for another post via the CS Fast Stream a couple of months ago... Having completed the initial online test, I was immediately sent another to complete within 5 days, but I'm almost certain that I wasn't informed whether or not I'd actually passed the test I'd just completed. Having completed the second one, I received an email within a few days informing me that I hadn't been successful, but at no point did the email specify whether I'd failed on the first online test, the second one, or both... So it does seem a bit strange.... Does anyone have a more concrete understanding than me of what's going on...?
Original post by CalHughes199
I believe that to be the case... I'm just about to take the situational judgement test now - feeling prepped and ready! Any last minute words of encouragement (or cheeky hints for suggestions? :wink:)

I applied for another post via the CS Fast Stream a couple of months ago... Having completed the initial online test, I was immediately sent another to complete within 5 days, but I'm almost certain that I wasn't informed whether or not I'd actually passed the test I'd just completed. Having completed the second one, I received an email within a few days informing me that I hadn't been successful, but at no point did the email specify whether I'd failed on the first online test, the second one, or both... So it does seem a bit strange.... Does anyone have a more concrete understanding than me of what's going on...?

All i know is that their recruitment is completely seperate to the CS Fast Stream, and so they could easily have different processes on testing.

When I spoke to the recruitment team, they told me I would get the situational test, that would be reviewed once everyone has completed the test and then an invite for the numeracy and verbal test would be sent out shortly afterwards to those who passed the situational test. So I thought you would be able to work out if you were unsuccessful on the basis of the situational test, but if you failed either of the numeracy or verbal tests, you wouldn't know which one you failed or if you failed both of them, as they are taken and processed at the same time.
Reply 184
Hey guys I have an offer for Social Policy at LSE, do you think this degree would put me in a good position to apply to the HM treasury Policy Advisor Grad Scheme?
Reply 185
Original post by h3110
Hey guys I have an offer for Social Policy at LSE, do you think this degree would put me in a good position to apply to the HM treasury Policy Advisor Grad Scheme?

I don't think they look at what degree or uni it is, as long as you get a 2:1. Tbh they'll be more interested in your extracurriculars. Well done on getting an offer :smile:
Reply 186
Original post by ceryss
I don't think they look at what degree or uni it is, as long as you get a 2:1. Tbh they'll be more interested in your extracurriculars. Well done on getting an offer :smile:

Thanks
Original post by ceryss

They don't ask for any information about your extra curriculars on the application form (something that surprised me), so I am pretty sure even that is not important.
Reply 188
Original post by Constant2015
They don't ask for any information about your extra curriculars on the application form (something that surprised me), so I am pretty sure even that is not important.

So if university and degree choice aren't important, and extra-curriculars aren't important, then what is?
Anybody had an invite to the take the numerical and verbal tests yet?
Original post by Historicity
Anybody taken the test yet? I just took the situational one and got an email asking me to take the verbal and numerical one.

It says I now have to wait up to five days to be sent a link :/

Did your email specifically say numerical and verbal? Mine said:

"Thank you for completing the Situational Judgement Test. We will be in contact shortly with details regarding the next stage of the recruitment process."

But that was as soon as I'd submitted my SJT responses
Original post by Slowbro93
Applications opened today :gah:

http://www.hmtreasurycareers.com/apply

Just completed my application, anyone else applying? :h:

Omg i done work experience at the treasury and i went to the meeting where they came up with the grad scheme idea!!!!
Reply 192
Original post by h3110
So if university and degree choice aren't important, and extra-curriculars aren't important, then what is?

It's important to get at least a 2:1 and have enough UCAS points, and extra-curricular's/work experience are important, just not until interview stage. Other than that it's important to do well on the online tests and assessment day.
Original post by YaniClovers
Did your email specifically say numerical and verbal? Mine said:

"Thank you for completing the Situational Judgement Test. We will be in contact shortly with details regarding the next stage of the recruitment process."

But that was as soon as I'd submitted my SJT responses

"Thank you for completing the Situational JudgementTest. We would like to invite you tocomplete the next stage of the recruitment process which is an online verbaland numerical reasoning test.<br /><br />You will receive an invitation email from ourtest provider SHL. If you do not receive an email from them within 5 workingdays then please contact the HM Treasury"
Original post by h3110

I guess the answers to the two questions on the application form, your work experience and how you perform in the online tests.
Anybody had an invite to the take the numerical and verbal tests yet?

They wont send them until everyone has completed the situtational test. I had a deadline of tomorrow to complete the test, so I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get the next tests until Friday or even early next week.
"Thank you for completing the Situational JudgementTest. We would like to invite you tocomplete the next stage of the recruitment process which is an online verbaland numerical reasoning test.<br /><br />You will receive an invitation email from ourtest provider SHL. If you do not receive an email from them within 5 workingdays then please contact the HM Treasury"

I e-mailed them today asking when I could expect the link because the original e-mail (the one you've quoted above) makes it seem as though that will be the case. this was their reply:

The email you have received mentioned that you pass the situational judgement test which means that it was successfully submitted and we have received your results safely. Once all candidates completed the test, results will be evaluated and successful candidates will be invited to complete verbal and numerical test. We have not sent a link to complete verbal and numerical test to any candidates yet.

If you are successful at the situational judgement test we will send you a separate email to invite you to complete the verbal and numerical test.

I then replied with this:

If I have not yet been successful why does the email say 'we would like to invite you to the next stage of the recruitment process'.

I'm sorry if I have misunderstood but I'm just clarifying as this led me to assume that I will receive an invitation email from SHL because that's what the email clearly states.

Which they then replied to with this:

This was an automated email released form our system. We agree that it is a bit confusing and we do apologise for this.

We wanted to confirm that candidates will be progressed to the verbal and numerical reasoning test if they are successful at the Situational Judgement test.
We will be in touch with you to let you know the outcome of your Situational Judgement test as soon as we can.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards
The Recruitment Team

It's such a badly worded e-mail. It gives you the impression you've passed the SJT when actually it's just a 'thank you for taking it' email.
Original post by ew296
I e-mailed them today asking when I could expect the link because the original e-mail (the one you've quoted above) makes it seem as though that will be the case. this was their reply:

The email you have received mentioned that you pass the situational judgement test which means that it was successfully submitted and we have received your results safely. Once all candidates completed the test, results will be evaluated and successful candidates will be invited to complete verbal and numerical test. We have not sent a link to complete verbal and numerical test to any candidates yet.

If you are successful at the situational judgement test we will send you a separate email to invite you to complete the verbal and numerical test.

I then replied with this:

If I have not yet been successful why does the email say 'we would like to invite you to the next stage of the recruitment process'.

I'm sorry if I have misunderstood but I'm just clarifying as this led me to assume that I will receive an invitation email from SHL because that's what the email clearly states.

Which they then replied to with this:

This was an automated email released form our system. We agree that it is a bit confusing and we do apologise for this.

We wanted to confirm that candidates will be progressed to the verbal and numerical reasoning test if they are successful at the Situational Judgement test.
We will be in touch with you to let you know the outcome of your Situational Judgement test as soon as we can.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards
The Recruitment Team

It's such a badly worded e-mail. It gives you the impression you've passed the SJT when actually it's just a 'thank you for taking it' email.

Thank you so much for taking the time to email them about this. I completely agree! It's incredibly badly worded and suggests that you've already passed.

There will be a lot of disappointed people I presume when they hear they've not passed but were informed otherwise by the email.

Very poor quality from the treasury! Looking for strong candidates but can't even get emails right.
Thank you so much for taking the time to email them about this. I completely agree! It's incredibly badly worded and suggests that you've already passed.

There will be a lot of disappointed people I presume when they hear they've not passed but were informed otherwise by the email.

Very poor quality from the treasury! Looking for strong candidates but can't even get emails right.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this! I was so confused with what they first replied. The actual e-mails they sent me above don't make sense in some places and have typos.

The 'automated' e-mail they created does nothing to explain what they say they are trying to achieve and is just misleading.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 199
I've actually found this with a few graduate schemes, the emails constantly imply or outright state that you're through only to then be like OH NO WAIT YOU FAILED LOL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending