The Student Room Group

Potential Optometry Students 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Katrina Ip
Nope :frown: I know it's a bit late now, but I met some problem with the student finance. I did apply for the accommodation tho

Oh no! Which accommodation did you apply for? And are you able to reapply for accommodation now?
Original post by jaffacakes101
Do you know if a pharmacy degree is any better?
What degree would you recommend?

Hi there im the creater of that long post on why optometry is a terrible career choice.

I couldnt go into exact details but i know pharmacists face alot of issues, i have 2 close friends who are pharmacists and they both hate it. If you go on the chemist or pharmacy uk or druggist forums you can actually see what real qualified pharmacists say from what i understand alot are unhappy with their career. Though being an optometrist i wouldnt know the exact details

If you want my own personal 2 cents, neither pharmacy or optometry are good career choices. Period. This is based on my 7 years experiance as a qualified optometrist and what my pharmacist friends tell me.

Best advice talk to actual qualified people in both fields and ask them to be honest!!

Dont just go by what clueless students here say who have no experiance of the qualified world. And dont just go by what the universities say as their prospectuses and websites are designed to sell the course to you and make prospects look much better then they actually are
Original post by optometrist123
Hi there im the creater of that long post on why optometry is a terrible career choice.

I couldnt go into exact details but i know pharmacists face alot of issues, i have 2 close friends who are pharmacists and they both hate it. If you go on the chemist or pharmacy uk or druggist forums you can actually see what real qualified pharmacists say from what i understand alot are unhappy with their career. Though being an optometrist i wouldnt know the exact details

If you want my own personal 2 cents, neither pharmacy or optometry are good career choices. Period. This is based on my 7 years experiance as a qualified optometrist and what my pharmacist friends tell me.

Best advice talk to actual qualified people in both fields and ask them to be honest!!

Dont just go by what clueless students here say who have no experiance of the qualified world. And dont just go by what the universities say as their prospectuses and websites are designed to sell the course to you and make prospects look much better then they actually are

Are your two pharmacist friends community or hospital pharmacists?
hey guys im the eyesoc president at plymouth university and currently a 2nd year optom student, any newcomers this september? feel free to ask me any questions :smile:
Original post by Jo Mathew
Oh no! Which accommodation did you apply for? And are you able to reapply for accommodation now?

I applied for Denmark road, Victoria hall and Weston hall! Do you know anyone else doing Optometry in Manchester?
Reply 1385
anyone attending bradford uni?
I applied for Denmark road, Victoria hall and Weston hall! Do you know anyone else doing Optometry in Manchester?

Hi Katrina and Jo, I'll be doing optometry and will be staying at Denmark Road :smile:
Original post by Chaussettes
Hi Katrina and Jo, I'll be doing optometry and will be staying at Denmark Road :smile:

Wooo should we create a group chat?
Wooo should we create a group chat?

Yeah sure :smile:
Original post by rsudra123
hey guys im the eyesoc president at plymouth university and currently a 2nd year optom student, any newcomers this september? feel free to ask me any questions :smile:

I have an place at Plymouth, I was should I live in halls or should I try and find an apartment I can rent by myself?
Original post by Lander_q
Hey, is it possible to transfer to optometry after first year of biomedical science at Bradford.

Hey,

They did the same thing to me! They put me onto Biomed, I miss the offer by 2 marks.
Original post by Jophilip123
does anyone know anything about clearing for optometry?
would they ask you a mini interview on the phone?
what is the whole process?
kind of stressed right now:frown:

Hey,

try plymouth, I got in through clearing.
They have a mini phone interview with you which is less than 5 mins.
Anglia Ruskin for Optometry anyone? PM me if you got in :smile:
thankfully i didn't have to go into clearing was so stressed pre results day lol
welldone for getting into plymouth!

Original post by Aubrey_79
Hey,

try plymouth, I got in through clearing.
They have a mini phone interview with you which is less than 5 mins.
Hi are you doing optometry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiii, i have a place with plymouth for optometry this year!! PM me if youre going to plymouth too :smile:
Original post by ThrillSize
Anglia Ruskin for Optometry anyone? PM me if you got in :smile:

Congratulations ThrillSize! Can't wait for you to join us! :smile:
Yikes ! This is a bit of a shock to read this because I have never come across someone who dislikes their profession so much? Didn't you realise that optometry wasn't for you during your first year?

I'm hoping to go in to Optometry this year and I think If i do not get a place I will feel extremely upset. I have always wanted to become an optometrist. Not for the money and not for the job but to help other people just as my optom helped me. I have a strong lens and I remember very vividly at the age of 7 (22 years ago) putting my 1st pair of glasses on and I could see the stones on the floor!! I was amazed and that feeling has never left me. I have never been in the situation to peruse my career aspirations until now. I want to help other people so I feel although your pros and cons of the job are very valid, I feel you have gone in to a profession for the wrong reasons?? Excuse me if I am wrong but that is the impression I get following your post.

I hope you find what you are searching for within your career and start to enjoy it as much as I hope to.
Original post by Aubrey_79
I have an place at Plymouth, I was should I live in halls or should I try and find an apartment I can rent by myself?

hey congrats on getting in! i would deffo say go for halls if you can! astor house is really nice and might still have availabilities. private message me and i can tell you about a few things we as eyesoc have planned for freshers if your interested. :smile:
Anyone going to Cardiff for optom?

Quick Reply

Latest