The Student Room Group

Reapplying to University

Hi everyone,

I'm currently studying maths at Bath University, and have just finished my first semester. However, I have found that I really don't like the course, as the maths on the course is really abstract and not very applied at all (I know I probably should have realised this before choosing maths at university!). I am seriously considering dropping out and reapplying to study economics next year, as it still contains maths, but is much more applied to the real world. My A-level results were: A*-Maths, A-Further Maths, A*-Biology, A-French. My question is, will the lack of economics A-level put me at a disadvantage if I wanted to apply to top universities such as UCL and LSE for next year?

Thanks for your help!
Original post by niki95
Hi everyone,

I'm currently studying maths at Bath University, and have just finished my first semester. However, I have found that I really don't like the course, as the maths on the course is really abstract and not very applied at all (I know I probably should have realised this before choosing maths at university!). I am seriously considering dropping out and reapplying to study economics next year, as it still contains maths, but is much more applied to the real world. My A-level results were: A*-Maths, A-Further Maths, A*-Biology, A-French. My question is, will the lack of economics A-level put me at a disadvantage if I wanted to apply to top universities such as UCL and LSE for next year?

Thanks for your help!

You really need to contact the universities concerned directly and ask them. Any answers on TSR will be hearsay.
Reply 2
Thanks for your answer, I have contacted the universities, and they've replied saying that it's not a prerequisite, but I was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience to me, and whether or not they actually do give preference to people who had studied economics? Thanks :smile:
Reply 3
Another question on this topic - should I mention dropping out of my first course on my personal statement? Or should I ask my referee to do this and instead concentrate on why I want to study the new course?
Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending