The Student Room Group

Reading

Hi guys,
I'm a tenth grader and I'm doing 7 GCSEs this year. I like reading books. A lot. But I won't exactly refer to myself as a bookworm, I mostly read e books and I read them in the comfort of my bed. So, you won't be actually be seeing me carrying a book everywhere I go. I'm sitting my exams this June. My mom and my sisters told me that I had to forget about reading (at least just for now) because there's no time, and that I should focus more on studying for my subjects. Okay, to be honest, when reading a book I just sit down and forget about studying until I get it done with, I need help on what to do regarding this. (Funny considering that this is a very petty issue and that compared to what I'm facing is nothing) Oh, I'm also sitting my English(SL) exam this June, and-hopefully- English (FL) next year.
Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Nadaelnaggar
Hi guys,
I'm a tenth grader and I'm doing 7 GCSEs this year. I like reading books. A lot. But I won't exactly refer to myself as a bookworm, I mostly read e books and I read them in the comfort of my bed. So, you won't be actually be seeing me carrying a book everywhere I go. I'm sitting my exams this June. My mom and my sisters told me that I had to forget about reading (at least just for now) because there's no time, and that I should focus more on studying for my subjects. Okay, to be honest, when reading a book I just sit down and forget about studying until I get it done with, I need help on what to do regarding this. (Funny considering that this is a very petty issue and that compared to what I'm facing is nothing) Oh, I'm also sitting my English(SL) exam this June, and-hopefully- English (FL) next year.
Thanks in advance.

I wont worry about it to be honest , as long as It isn't taking up ALL of your time its fine . It is important to have relaxing time where you don't work! I also love reading and read a lot during my gcse year, but stoped whilst I was taking my exams for a couple of weeks.Seen as you only have 2 exams at moment I don't think it is too much of a problem , just enjoy yourself while you can tbh but remember to work hard as well , good luck xxx
Original post by neptune66
I wont worry about it to be honest , as long as It isn't taking up ALL of your time its fine . It is important to have relaxing time where you don't work! I also love reading and read a lot during my gcse year, but stoped whilst I was taking my exams for a couple of weeks.Seen as you only have 2 exams at moment I don't think it is too much of a problem , just enjoy yourself while you can tbh but remember to work hard as well , good luck xxx

Thank you so much. I wanted to stop reading for the next few months but I guess I'll get back to reading it can't be that dangerous :rolleyes:.
I'll set a time before bed, to make sure that it won't eat up all my time.
Thank you for your reply :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you so much. I wanted to stop reading for the next few months but I guess I'll get back to reading it can't be that dangerous :rolleyes:.
I'll set a time before bed, to make sure that it won't eat up all my time.
Thank you for your reply :smile:

That sound fine , what sort of stuff do you read?:smile:
That sound fine , what sort of stuff do you read?:smile:

I mostly read YA and fiction. I'm currently reading book 6 of Vampire Academy. I like the series. What about you? Are you on goodreads.com?
Reply 5
Vampire academy is so good I recommended it to a friend and she read them so quickly. Her dad banned her from reading books over her exam because she will spend a whole weekend reading a book and doing nothing else. Accidentally read the spin off series bloodlines first so ruined some of the story :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I mostly read YA and fiction. I'm currently reading book 6 of Vampire Academy. I like the series. What about you? Are you on goodreads.com?

aw I haven't read vampire academy yet , I need to though , I just read anything tbh , I do have goodreads my name is sophie and I am from Stafford not sure what my user name is though:cool:
aw I haven't read vampire academy yet , I need to though , I just read anything tbh , I do have goodreads my name is sophie and I am from Stafford not sure what my user name is though:cool:

Great! https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/30803124-sophie
If this is your goodreads account, then I've already added you :wink:
What are you studying currently?
Reply 8
Great! https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/30803124-sophie
If this is your goodreads account, then I've already added you :wink:
What are you studying currently?

yes it is I added you! I am in year12 doing my AS's i'm doing; history, music , English lit/lang and psychology! what about you?:smile:
yes it is I added you! I am in year12 doing my AS's i'm doing; history, music , English lit/lang and psychology! what about you?:smile:

I'm in year 10 and I'm doing 7 GCSEs this June (English, Accounting, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Mathematics, ICT) Wow! Music and History! They seem like interesting subjects. Psychology is very uncommon as an AS subject (at least where I live I guess) What are those subjects like? I hope you're doing good! What are you going to study and where have you decided to go next year?
I'm in year 10 and I'm doing 7 GCSEs this June (English, Accounting, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Mathematics, ICT) Wow! Music and History! They seem like interesting subjects. Psychology is very uncommon as an AS subject (at least where I live I guess) What are those subjects like? I hope you're doing good! What are you going to study and where have you decided to go next year?

hahah apart from English those don't sound like my type of subjects , how are they going ,are you enjoying it? yeah I love history it's probably my favourite out of the 4 and music is pretty good as there is only me and my best friend in a class! psychology is surprisingly popular where I live , most people take it! I really hate it though as its so hard and there is so much work! I am doing ok thanks its a big shock from year11 though :frown: I got and A in my history mock and my average for music at the mo is a high c , cant be said for English though I got a u in an essay question because I wrote "bitcher" instead of butcher for the authors name opps :'D I hope to drop psychology if I do ok in the others , what about you, what do you think you will take for a levels?
Reply 11
Hi guys,
Thanks in advance.

Set aside a time before you go to bed to read each night - say 45 minutes - and only read then.
Original post by tory88
Set aside a time before you go to bed to read each night - say 45 minutes - and only read then.

I guess that's what I'm gonna end up doing.
Thanks a lot for replying. :smile:
hahah apart from English those don't sound like my type of subjects , how are they going ,are you enjoying it? yeah I love history it's probably my favourite out of the 4 and music is pretty good as there is only me and my best friend in a class! psychology is surprisingly popular where I live , most people take it! I really hate it though as its so hard and there is so much work! I am doing ok thanks its a big shock from year11 though :frown: I got and A in my history mock and my average for music at the mo is a high c , cant be said for English though I got a u in an essay question because I wrote "bitcher" instead of butcher for the authors name opps :'D I hope to drop psychology if I do ok in the others , what about you, what do you think you will take for a levels?

Hahaha "bitcher". I want to study medicine and I haven't decided what I'm going to take for my A levels, yet. I don't know if I'm enjoying my GCSEs but they sure aren't that difficult! Music sounds great. I don't know what the content of the syllabus could be about. But it seems like something I would not exactly like! Apart from reading are you maybe also interested in music? I am very much into it. If you are then what kind of music do you like?
Also, are you on any other social web site so that I could add you because this site is a mess.
Hahaha "bitcher". I want to study medicine and I haven't decided what I'm going to take for my A levels, yet. I don't know if I'm enjoying my GCSEs but they sure aren't that difficult! Music sounds great. I don't know what the content of the syllabus could be about. But it seems like something I would not exactly like! Apart from reading are you maybe also interested in music? I am very much into it. If you are then what kind of music do you like?
Also, are you on any other social web site so that I could add you because this site is a mess.[/
its good you've decided what you want to do , I have no idea lol.you don't need to have decided yet anyway ,just do what you enjoy , are good at and what you need to do medicine! Its really good actually I sing (that's my instrument )we look in depth at classical pieces but its quite interesting. yeah I love music as well , don't really have a particular kind of music but I love old songs and artist like Simon and Garfunkel and the smiths I also like pop/rock as well though , what's your music taste ? I have fb , twitter , insta, snapchat .... take your pic lol :biggrin:
Hahaha good what's your username on insta or facebook?
Maybe we could chat there!
I'm more into alternative rock and indie rock (I like bands like Bastille, Arctic Monkeys, Vampire Weekend, Bombay Bicycle Club, Two Door Cinema Club and Twenty One Pilots, mainly) I like a lot of other stuff too. Oh! great. You sing, that's wonderful. I've always wanted to sound good but my voice could shatter glass hahaha.
Here's the most recent picture of me-reading,considering the topic and all :P.

Send me yours too.
How old are you by the way?

my face book is sophie george not sure what my insta is but I will find out:smile: yeah sure that sounds cute! Oh my gosh I love music like that too have u herd of the wombats im going to see them in April!!! yeah im on my grade 6 at the mo , im sure you sound great everyone can sing !! hahah do you read everywhere then ? I am 16 :smile:
my face book is sophie george not sure what my insta is but I will find out:smile: yeah sure that sounds cute! Oh my gosh I love music like that too have u herd of the wombats im going to see them in April!!! yeah im on my grade 6 at the mo , im sure you sound great everyone can sing !! hahah do you read everywhere then ? I am 16 :smile:

Oh my Goodd I love the wombats!
I was listening to them a moment ago I swear. I like walking disasters.
So cool you get to go to concerts like that. You're lucky! Wow! I'm 15 I'll tuen 16 this May. Haha and no i don't read everywhere, I borrowed this book from my school's library and I had to read it. My instagram is nadaelnaggar lookme up.
You sound like a very nice girl :smile:
Oh my Goodd I love the wombats!
I was listening to them a moment ago I swear. I like walking disasters.
So cool you get to go to concerts like that. You're lucky! Wow! I'm 15 I'll tuen 16 this May. Haha and no i don't read everywhere, I borrowed this book from my school's library and I had to read it. My instagram is nadaelnaggar lookme up.
You sound like a very nice girl :smile:

they are so good , my fav is moving to new York!! I know my parents only just let me though I had to practically beg. I turn 17 so I n feb so only a year older. ah what book was it? I think I followed you on instagram , you seem really nice aswell :smile::smile:
they are so good , my fav is moving to new York!! I know my parents only just let me though I had to practically beg. I turn 17 so I n feb so only a year older. ah what book was it? I think I followed you on instagram , you seem really nice aswell :smile::smile:

I'm accepted your follow :smile:
It was "The Five People You'll meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom.
If concerts were to be made where I lived I guess my parents would give me a hard time going too!! Never knew why though.
Thank You :smile:
I'm accepted your follow :smile:
It was "The Five People You'll meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom.
If concerts were to be made where I lived I guess my parents would give me a hard time going too!! Never knew why though.
Thank You :smile:

ah cool , sounds deep I have to read some pretty boring stuff in English too one of them is heart of darkness which is so hard , I would recomaned it:'). apparently we could have done harry potter for my as but they "decided not to " would have defo gotten an a! I know they probably will when your a bit older , the one i'm going to is in Birmingham , why do you live in a romote area ?:smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest