The Student Room Group

city university literacy and numeracy test

Hi
I have a been called for an maths and english test at city university on 25/02/15 for adult nursing. I am actually really scared. how is the maths and english tests like? I have heard that there is an aptitude test as well. what is the aptitude test like? is it really hard? what do they mainly consist of in all the tests? is there anything in particular that i need to revise for the tests.
Thanks!
Both maths and english test are multiple choice, and at the end of the English paper, there is a comprehensive task to do where you have one question to answer.

Aptitude test, you have four scenario based questions to answers which is not difficult to do.

For the maths, just revise percentages, add, subtract, multiply, divide, ratio, time, a bit of graphs, fractions, mean etc

Overall, they are not hard. But, the pass rate is really high.

Maths - 39/50

English - 25/30

All the best :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by babyshawte
Both maths and english test are multiple choice, and at the end of the English paper, there is a comprehensive task to do where you have one question to answer.

Aptitude test, you have four scenario based questions to answers which is not difficult to do.

For the maths, just revise percentages, add, subtract, multiply, divide, ratio, time, a bit of graphs, fractions, mean etc

Overall, they are not hard. But, the pass rate is really high.

Maths - 39/50

English - 25/30

All the best :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for replying! i am really scared! hope i do well tomorrow! :smile: Is it just a maths, english and an aptitude test and nothing else? how long are the each tests? Is the interview on an another day?

Good Luck with you application!! :smile:
Original post by layababy18
Thank you so much for replying! i am really scared! hope i do well tomorrow! :smile: Is it just a maths, english and an aptitude test and nothing else? how long are the each tests? Is the interview on an another day?

Good Luck with you application!! :smile:

If you're doing Adult Nursing, then you will do the English, Maths and Aptitude Test on the same day. Child Nursing applicants will only do the Maths and English as they will do the Aptitude test another day. ( I think on the day of the interview if they are successful, but they do it online)

Each test is around 30 minutes or more.

The interview is on separate days.

You get so many marks for each question on the maths test. One question might be worth between 1 - 5 marks.

Unfortunately I didn't get through with City, because I made a silly mistake on the maths test that brought me 3 marks short from the pass rate and I was 2 marks off the English test. (I found out on the day of my MDX interview lol)

I'm sure you'll be fine. The questions weren't difficult, but it is so easy to make mistakes. So please read the questions carefully!!!! (That was my downfall)

Good luck and thank you :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
If you're doing Adult Nursing, then you will do the English, Maths and Aptitude Test on the same day. Child Nursing applicants will only do the Maths and English as they will do the Aptitude test another day. ( I think on the day of the interview if they are successful, but they do it online)

Each test is around 30 minutes or more.

The interview is on separate days.

You get so many marks for each question on the maths test. One question might be worth between 1 - 5 marks.

Unfortunately I didn't get through with City, because I made a silly mistake on the maths test that brought me 3 marks short from the pass rate and I was 2 marks off the English test. (I found out on the day of my MDX interview lol)

I'm sure you'll be fine. The questions weren't difficult, but it is so easy to make mistakes. So please read the questions carefully!!!! (That was my downfall)

Good luck and thank you :biggrin:

I found the maths test quite hard but the English and the aptitude was ok. I just hope I pass the tests. don't worry I hope you will get into a better university. :smile:

Thank You
The maths is always the scary bit, but hopefully you have done enough to get through to the interview stage. Fingers crossed!

I got an offer from MDX and have an interview with Greenwich. Those are the only two uni's I'm looking at atm and deciding which one to firm.

Thank you, and I hope it all works out for you :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
The maths is always the scary bit, but hopefully you have done enough to get through to the interview stage. Fingers crossed!

I got an offer from MDX and have an interview with Greenwich. Those are the only two uni's I'm looking at atm and deciding which one to firm.

Thank you, and I hope it all works out for you :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah fingers crossed :smile: congrats on getting the offers! :smile:

thank you!
yeah fingers crossed :smile: congrats on getting the offers! :smile:

thank you!

Thanks! Did you hear back from city btw?

You can message if you want :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks! Did you hear back from city btw?

You can message if you want :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got rejected by city. I was a few marks off on both the tests. :frown: I hope i get into other university's though! fingers crossed! :smile:
I got rejected by city. I was a few marks off on both the tests. :frown: I hope i get into other university's though! fingers crossed! :smile:

I know how it feels :frown: The test was so lovely, but it's so easy to fail. Don't worry, you will get a university eventually or even more! Best wishes!!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I know how it feels :frown: The test was so lovely, but it's so easy to fail. Don't worry, you will get a university eventually or even more! Best wishes!!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I was writing the test i thought it was really easy but then when I found out I was quite shocked :frown: since I found the test quite easy. Thank You :smile: Same to you too!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest