The Student Room Group

Why do people lie and say the don't revise?

I'm just wondering.. What makes people say they don't revise when it's obvious they do?
Do they feel inadequate?

Obviously I guess there are a select few that can do very well with no revision at all but it's obvious someone is lying when they sometimes do very well on tests, or rubbishy...

It can't just be people at my school that do this right?

People are there bragging how they've done just revision the night before the exam and then end up with all A*s in subjects that can not be blagged with out extra information!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

To be honest, I've revised the night before and done very well in tests.

A lot of people probably think that it makes them look like they care too much if they say that they actually revised properly.
Reply 2
Original post by jackmolineux
I'm just wondering.. What makes people say they don't revise when it's obvious they do?
Do they feel inadequate?

Obviously I guess there are a select few that can do very well with no revision at all but it's obvious someone is lying when they sometimes do very well on tests, or rubbishy...

People are there bragging how they've done just revision the night before the exam and then end up with all A*s in subjects that can not be blagged with out extra information!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do the opposite, I lie to myself and say that reading one page of notes is sufficient revision for an entire day.

:frown:
It's because they probably think it's nerdy or something, it dies down the older you get though :P.
Sometimes they're telling the truth. I didn't revise for most of my gcses but didn't get all A*s so
I think some people that lie about not revising are worried they'll not perform well so can talk it off as "yeah i didnt put in any effort anyway" whilst others want to impress others, esp if they're trying to compete against someone that got a better grade than them with hard work.

Yeah people do this everywhere, not just at your school. :tongue:
Do they feel inadequate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

At GCSE level there are some who want to appear invincible and claim that they barely have to make an effort to get good grades.
Also, some think it's cool to not revise and so want the approval of peers.
Amongst other things.
Reply 7
As well as what was said above, they might say they didn't revise before they take an exam, so that if they do badly, they have an excuse.
Reply 8
Original post by Emily.97
At GCSE level there are some who want to appear invincible and claim that they barely have to make an effort to get good grades.
Also, some think it's cool to not revise and so want the approval of peers.
Amongst other things.

To be fair at GCSE there are a fair number who genuinely don't revise, then struggle at A-level cause they have to figure out how to revise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some people genuinely don't revise at all. In addition, people who say they don't revise but actually do, usually only do this when trying to fit in with a certain group of people.
They might not be lying I know I did **** all.
Reply 11
Original post by Scott_6969
They might not be lying I know I did **** all.

Same here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do they feel inadequate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because, if theyre any thing like me, once theyve got something it's there. They don't need to revise and regurgitate it when they sit an exam. I have no doubt that some people do lie, but some dont, and why the cluck does it bother you anyways. Go revise.
At GCSE, along with whatever preparation you do in class, you can revise the night before and get A* in at least some subjects

Probably a lot harder at A level though
(edited 9 years ago)
Do they feel inadequate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe it upsets them that they have to work hard to get grades that other people don't need to work for? I genuinely didn't revise at GCSE and did much better than some people that spent all of their free time studying...that's just how it is. I wish I HAD revised, don't get me wrong, but I was arrogant.
Because they have a different idea of 'not revising'...? Aka my revision would not equal 'revision' in other people's minds...

Also, it's kind of a reflex stress action i guess. :biggrin:
At GCSE level, there are four kinds of people (that i've met, but as i've lived in two different continents, and have been to several schools during GCSEs'; dotted around and within in those continents, i'm still not the be-all-end-all guy on these things):

1) The first kind.
Personality/Details: these people, say they do nothing in terms of revision; Literally do NOTHING and they naturally get all As'. they don't need to revise, as they've been blessed with a brain that can retain anything; for a long time. these kind of people piss me off to no end. like i'll have to actually put in work; whilst they just waltz into the exam hall (either drunk or stoned or on drugs or whatever); and STILL manage to clean my ass with their results.
Mannerisms: these are the people who will be throwing house parties or whatever; 24/7 even right upto exam time. aside from their results being the best, there really aren't any differences between their mannerisms and those of the 'third kind' of people. i say this, as these people will generally behave exactly like the 'third kind' of people; in that party is an all year round event.
Solution: Befriend them; but when it comes to exam/revision time; you DON'T know who they are. Simples.

2) the second kind.

Personality/Details: are people like you and & I. (I know you are Number 2, as you're complaining about success and are jealous of those who succeed naturally without much effort; i did as well). for these kind of people; we use this picture as a reference
image:

Mannerisms: they will at least mention revision once, or show some aspect of focus; however slight.
Solution: ask them to help you with revision; chances are, they know what you're going through (stress wise); and can help you with their strengths.

3) The third kind.

Personality/Details: Not to be rude, but these are the kind of people say they don't do any work and who end up not doing any work at all. Avoid these kind of people at all costs. if you have a dream of success, they will try to distract you and will try to tear your dream down; because they don't have any and can't be bothered to chase after a dream.

Mannerisms: these are the people who will be throwing house parties or whatever; 24/7 even right upto exam time. aside from their exam results being the poorest, there really aren't any differences between their mannerisms and those of the 'first kind' of people. i say this, as these people will generally behave exactly like the 'first kind' of people; in that party is an all year round event.

Solution: Befriend them; but when it comes to exam/revision time; you DON'T know who they are. Simples.

4) The nerds/geeks/teacher suckups. they study all the time, and have no time for friends/social gatherings.
make of that what you will.
i believe there must be a balance; as although your grades are important for uni, these same Unis' pay Much more attention to your A-level grades. so you're supposed to study for and get good Gcses', but not to the point that you isolate yourself from the rest of the world.
I must add that, although these 'nerds/geeks/teacher suckups' study all the time; some still, at times, do *not* get grades higher than or equal to the first and second kinds of people.

with all things a balance is needed. Good luck.

**these statements, are a result of what i've encountered at GCSEs'. i mean no offence/offense.**
It basically depends on the subject. for geography, science, you genuinely have to revise while there's subjects like maths, where there's no need for it , in my opinion if you do the questions in lessons properly and actually understand it so people might seriously not revise for it. :smile:
I say I don't revise, and people often think I'm exaggerating/lying - I'm not lying! I just don't revise! I don't find revision effective for me; once I thoroughly understand something in a lesson I will remember it, so revising just confuses me more as it makes me doubt myself when I understand things. I am one of those very irritating people who gets A*s with no real effort and no revision - so, no, actually, just because someone does well does not mean they spend time secretly revising. Lose the judgemental attitude!
Some people say it so that other people don't hold high expectations of them so that if they don't do well it doesn't seem like a big deal. Whereas if you say you have revised and do terribly it could be quite embarrassing because people thought you would do much better than you did!

Latest