The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dilzo999
It's because they probably think it's nerdy or something, it dies down the older you get though :P.

For those like me...we just stop mentioning it once we get older and realise how much it annoys people. :tongue:
Some people are incredibly lucky and have memories that retain pretty much everything they read, on top of a lot of natural intelligence. This combination means that GCSEs which on the whole have very little content are simple, and no work is required, if they are even more lucky then that memory is semi photographic, so they can remember the actual pages and stuff like that of reading, even A Levels become pretty simple to pass, provided their intelligence suffices to understand the actual concepts that they need to understand, so it is possible to do well at A level with little to no revision too, as it is just a case of understanding the concepts and being able to memorise ways to apply them. At degree level it becomes impossible due to the format; there is a lot of content and most of it is only touched upon, and none covered in enough depth that the revision isn't needed. In fact revision is necessary here even for those lucky people who up the point of their degree have done pretty much no extra work/revision.
Original post by Andy98
To be fair at GCSE there are a fair number who genuinely don't revise, then struggle at A-level cause they have to figure out how to revise

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are also those who genuinely don't revise at GCSE and then genuinely don't revise at A Level, and do excellently in both, it is when they get to degree level and then they have to figure out how to revise, and still naturally do quite well (lower firsts and such)
Reply 23
Original post by Jacob Boris
There are also those who genuinely don't revise at GCSE and then genuinely don't revise at A Level, and do excellently in both, it is when they get to degree level and then they have to figure out how to revise, and still naturally do quite well (lower firsts and such)

This is me :biggrin:.

Once you get to degree level I would say those that had to revise for A-Levels are actually at an advantage because you are safe in the knowledge that you will put in the effort required to attain to grade you desire. For those that didn't revise it is the same story of procrastination for 5 weeks and then revising the night before :tongue:. It doesn't work quite as well at degree level though!
Original post by Andy98
To be fair at GCSE there are a fair number who genuinely don't revise, then struggle at A-level cause they have to figure out how to revise

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, okay
Reply 25
I can't study at home :sad:

But at school, idky I just have a driveeee. I study hard in school, everything just sinks in. People look at me and think 'Wow this girl is on it.' But really, I then go home and don't do crap :sad:

Thats why I hate holidays :cry2:
I'd say that most people who say they never revise, and who still get good grades are just lying so you see them as more intelligent. Especially true at my sixth form, where the lessons were structured as guided noting taking sessions rather than actual lectures.

If they literally never revised, they would finish the material at Christmas and be doing extra modules/extracurricular, or would have been put forward a year, or would have work experience placements in top companies, or would be really muscular from time spent in the gym, or would be really good at Chess. They would have something to show for the time saved not revising.

It doesn't matter though, only you and what you are doing matters.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dinaa
I can't study at home :sad:

But at school, idky I just have a driveeee. I study hard in school, everything just sinks in. People look at me and think 'Wow this girl is on it.' But really, I then go home and don't do crap :sad:

Thats why I hate holidays :cry2:

:sexface:
Reply 28
Original post by ChickenMadness
:sexface:

wow this girl is slayin it :sexface:
Original post by Dinaa
wow this girl is slayin it :sexface:

she on it :sexface:
It depends on the level and the subject. GCSEs are a joke though. I not only didn't revise, but I didn't attend a single RE lesson in my final year and still got an A.
Reply 31
Original post by ChickenMadness
she on it :sexface:

damn her equation b getting plugged on a daily nomsayin :sexface:
Original post by staywithme
I say I don't revise, and people often think I'm exaggerating/lying - I'm not lying! I just don't revise! I don't find revision effective for me; once I thoroughly understand something in a lesson I will remember it, so revising just confuses me more as it makes me doubt myself when I understand things. I am one of those very irritating people who gets A*s with no real effort and no revision - so, no, actually, just because someone does well does not mean they spend time secretly revising. Lose the judgemental attitude!

I'd say for GCSE it's actually relatively common for people to get decent grades without much revision, if any at all. This was most certainly true for me for some GCSE subjects. However, once you get to A-levels and university, these people are most certainly lying, that, or they are in a very small minority.
Reply 33
Original post by xleoanimusx
Maybe it upsets them that they have to work hard to get grades that other people don't need to work for? I genuinely didn't revise at GCSE and did much better than some people that spent all of their free time studying...that's just how it is. I wish I HAD revised, don't get me wrong, but I was arrogant.

would like to know what you got :smile:

Latest