The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Opening Evening tomorrow :smile: looking forward to it
I went, how did you find it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _poppyfields
I went, how did you find it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was great! I saw loads of people, probably saw you!
Did you like it?
Yeah there were loaaaads of people though - at first our guide was really bad compared to the other ones we heard who were much more articulate and confident so we changed guide and talked to teachers and other students instead. What about you?
Yeah there were loaaaads of people though - at first our guide was really bad compared to the other ones we heard who were much more articulate and confident so we changed guide and talked to teachers and other students instead. What about you?

We probably saw each other and didn't recognise! 😂😂 there was another family with us, our tour guide was really good and provided us with information about the school, however we saw departments that none of us were taking and when we went to the Science department no one was there and there was a student who was a friend with our guide so luckily he talked to me about the subject. It was a bit of a catastrophe towards the end as our guide kept on saying we won't have time to see this and this and to be honest the family with us wanted to see departments that they weren't even taking and spent ages which is agitating as science was the last part of the tour and it as rushed!! Didn't even see the languages department! Did you go where they had the prospectus and the teachers were there?
Yeah that area was great - I got to see the head of French who told me lots of important things about the course etc. the prospectus was so nice!! I got a bit put off by the talk at 5pm because the head master was sort of saying "we are the best" through all his speeches. Other than that is was really good
Random question guys, but are any of you applying to schools other than Westminster and KCS?
Yeah that area was great - I got to see the head of French who told me lots of important things about the course etc. the prospectus was so nice!! I got a bit put off by the talk at 5pm because the head master was sort of saying "we are the best" through all his speeches. Other than that is was really good

Yeah it was pretty good I went to the maths area and found out some new and interesting stuff. The speech was good, although I wish I was up on the balcony the view must have been amazing from there. Every school says they are the best but in reality every single person has a different opinion. I nearly got hit by a car when we were crossing to go to one of the buildings and I was talking to my guide about injuries and accidents while I nearly got hit- maybe I jinxed it!!
The History exam basically consists of two sections, one of questions on a source or sources, and one which is a longer essay on a more general point concerning history. The maths exam is very like the Maths Challenge, if you have ever taken it.
Original post by Djamal123
This may sound stupid but I am serious. I am black and wish to apply to Westminster school sixth form. Would I be incongruous? Are there other black people? Or does it not matter? Please answer me! Anyone

I'm black also and I know a lot of black people who go there. There's loads of ghetto/roadmen that go there.

All in all, you won't be alone.
Wait... Hold on, I'm talking about City of Westminster College, you may be on about another one...
Lol, I am referring to Westminster independent school. But thanks anyways:smile:

Haha, thought so. Well, I don't know what it's like there but I'm sure that there'll be other black people. Not that it really should matter to perhaps others, but I find that it helps to have someone who you can relate to in my opinion, but that's just me. I have friends that are different races, as I am able to see beyond colour. Don't get it twisted, I'm no Uncle Tom, but yeah.
This may sound stupid but I am serious. I am black and wish to apply to Westminster school sixth form. Would I be incongruous? Are there other black people? Or does it not matter? Please answer me! Anyone

To be honest, you'll have a higher chance of getting in anyway for being an ethnic minority. As for not fitting in, I'm not sure if you're at an independent school currently, but in these types of schools it's usually not an issue of fitting in. It's more like making new friends whoever they are and mainly focusing on the academia. Since you'll potentially be joining at sixth form, a third of the year would be in the same situation as you struggling to fit in and there shouldn't be any problem!! Besides, if there were any racist cliques, they'd definitely stand out and be called out by the pastoral department - at least that would happen at my school.
Original post by Mantitheus
The History exam basically consists of two sections, one of questions on a source or sources, and one which is a longer essay on a more general point concerning history. The maths exam is very like the Maths Challenge, if you have ever taken it.

Don't they change the exams every year?

of course it doesn't matter. You want to apply for Westminster, you go and apply and don't think about anything else other than your dreams
Lol, I am referring to Westminster independent school. But thanks anyways:smile:

what subjects are you applying with?
Reply 4296
im a queens scholar at Westminster just got in.

its great.
Original post by fdt

its great.

Westminster School?

Congratulations!
Original post by fdt

its great.

how? I thought we'd have to sit the entry exam? TAT please tell me it is not difficult. Anyone has any idea what it is going to be in the exam for Maths and Further Maths?

BTW, I would like to do Physics and Chemistry along with Maths and Further Maths, anyone has any idea what would the exams be about? Cos I am just starting Additional science now and obviously I did not know the whole course of GCSE.

HELP!!!!!!
Original post by fdt

its great.

Firstly, congratulations. Massive feat to achieve a Queen's scholarship. Enjoy your time at the school.
Original post by ZetaKiro
how? I thought we'd have to sit the entry exam? TAT please tell me it is not difficult. Anyone has any idea what it is going to be in the exam for Maths and Further Maths?

BTW, I would like to do Physics and Chemistry along with Maths and Further Maths, anyone has any idea what would the exams be about? Cos I am just starting Additional science now and obviously I did not know the whole course of GCSE.

HELP!!!!!!

Queens Scholars are for the 13 + entry, the 16+ entry DOES involve an entry exam. And if it wasn't difficult, there's no point in the exam existing. (Difficulty is subjective anyway :/ So revise hard)

But anyway, from what I hear the Maths exam will be based off concepts which we learn in the first year of GCSE maths, and that it may potentially be in the style of the UKMT Maths Challenge. And I also believe they want to test how you learn rather than what you know, so that may also help for your other subjects.

Try Maths challenge and olympiad questions for practice and be substantially updated with your courses (Physics, Chemistry & Maths)
(This is from what i've heard. Not a former/current pupil, just a 16+ Applicant)

I'm sure someone can correct me or add to what I have said.
But so far, I wish you luck and the same goes to the other applicants.

See you in Westminster 6th form... (tongue in cheek)
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending