The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I'm new to TSR and have just started to consider Westminster for sixth form. Literally today. So do I still have a shot at applying? If so, could someone explain what the online application is and involves, and how you register for the open day in september. (I find the website confusing :colondollar:).

And personal statements? When do they have to be sent off? Is anyone doing anything to prep for the exams?

Many thanks in advance!
Yes, of course!
Apply HERE: http://intranet.westminster.org.uk/sixthentry/apply/
You just fill in the form, which consists of ten sections: candidate details, exam special arrangements, guardian details, entrance exam subjects, personal statement, public exam grades, recent school report, photograph, further information, and the registration fee. I think they'll automatically collect our online forms in mid-October.

Register for the open day HERE: http://intranet.westminster.org.uk/sixthentry/seopenday/addform.asp
You should check out the courses brochure to see what you have to prep for the exams. It's on the application page.

Hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks for the help! I'm just wondering if I'm anywhere near good enough for that school. Esp. if I'm going to need bursaries and stuff. I know competition's high and everyone's a smart cookie, but how hard are the exams? And how tough/long are interviews? Plus, do you need lots of extra-curriculars, or will they see through half-hearted attempts to make yourself appear 'well-rounded' (not that I'm like that)? Anyone feel the same as me????? :confused:
Reply 1383
blueskycloudyday, it sounds like you're worried and not sure about it, which definitely means I feel the same as you, and even if it seem mad applying, you might as well try, what do you have to lose?
Original post by oryx12
blueskycloudyday, it sounds like you're worried and not sure about it, which definitely means I feel the same as you, and even if it seem mad applying, you might as well try, what do you have to lose?

So you're applying then? It's nice to know someone's in the same boat as me! I think the thing I'm most worried about are language exams/orals in interviews . . . I've heard if you want to study a MFL you have to write in whichever language you want to study for a part of the exam, and if you get through to interviews you will have to converse in that language for a bit. I know it sounds ridiculous that I want to study a language but get panicky about writing/speaking especially, in it, but all of my GCSE CATs are a result of extensive preparation. In terms of coming up with things in a pressurised situation the best I can hope for is very basic sentences if it's not on a GCSE topic. And orals . . . my accent is so bad (IIMO), I would feel extremely embarrassed to speak with a native/academic of that language, as I would feel I am insulting it. Especially if I'm up against other candidates who are fluent (previously in the thread) due to being that nationality or having family from there . . .TBH that's unfair. I don't really see why you would take an A-Level in something you're already better than A-Level standard in . . . unless it's for an easy grade.

Does anyone actually know what's on the language exams?

And the other part is the application/forms/open days; just generally getting organised . . . I don't really understand the system :s-smilie:. And choosing A-levels so early on . . . I really don;t have a clue! Otherwise, I should be fine . . . :rofl:
LOLs . . . Westminster (not the school) was in the background on the news today and my heart skipped a beat. Yes, that's the person I've become: emotionally unstable and on edge. :bawling: :biggrin:
Reply 1386
Hi everyone! I opened a TSR account just to comment on this thread. I really want to go to Westminster but I don't think I'm good enough, plus I'm going to need bursaries. I am so worried about the exams and interviews! Btw, anyone know what they will ask at the general interview and the subject interviews (though I don't think I'll be able to get to that stage anyway)? I'm planning to do maths, physics, chemistry & french.
Also, has anyone started their personal statements, or even finished? How do you start it? I have no idea because I've never done one before. Do you guys do lots of extra-curriculars? I'm not sporty or well-rounded at all, so I'm worried about that. Do you think I should still apply in that case? :s-smilie:
Reply 1387
Original post by BlueSkyeCloudyDay
So you're applying then? It's nice to know someone's in the same boat as me! I think the thing I'm most worried about are language exams/orals in interviews . . . I've heard if you want to study a MFL you have to write in whichever language you want to study for a part of the exam, and if you get through to interviews you will have to converse in that language for a bit. I know it sounds ridiculous that I want to study a language but get panicky about writing/speaking especially, in it, but all of my GCSE CATs are a result of extensive preparation. In terms of coming up with things in a pressurised situation the best I can hope for is very basic sentences if it's not on a GCSE topic. And orals . . . my accent is so bad (IIMO), I would feel extremely embarrassed to speak with a native/academic of that language, as I would feel I am insulting it. Especially if I'm up against other candidates who are fluent (previously in the thread) due to being that nationality or having family from there . . .TBH that's unfair. I don't really see why you would take an A-Level in something you're already better than A-Level standard in . . . unless it's for an easy grade.

Does anyone actually know what's on the language exams?

And the other part is the application/forms/open days; just generally getting organised . . . I don't really understand the system :s-smilie:. And choosing A-levels so early on . . . I really don;t have a clue! Otherwise, I should be fine . . . :rofl:

I'm in the same situation too! I'm most worried about the maths and french exam & interview. Which language are you considering? If it's french or german, the exam will consist of a translation to english and a writing composition. But I don't know about the interview, do we really have to talk in the language? I prepared everything for my GCSE controlled assessments too and I don't think I'll be able to come up with anything. :frown:
Reply 1388
Your parents must be very wealthy if you can afford to go there! Westminister costs more then my parents make in a year! :tongue:
Reply 1389
Original post by GLOB
Your parents must be very wealthy if you can afford to go there! Westminister costs more then my parents make in a year! :tongue:

Westminster is too expensive for my family too, that's why I'm going to need a bursary! :tongue:
Original post by pompompandapple
Same, I'll just say I wanted them to see my grades for all of my subjects, not just the couple of subjects I did mocks in.

That's not fair. Everyone else is sending in their latest set of results - which are their mocks. Why can't you guys just send in what you have. Everyone else did badly too, as it's everyone's first set of mocks. Also, Westminster requested our LATEST exam results, which our mocks counts as.
Original post by Cola_23
I'm in the same situation too! I'm most worried about the maths and french exam & interview. Which language are you considering? If it's french or german, the exam will consist of a translation to english and a writing composition. But I don't know about the interview, do we really have to talk in the language? I prepared everything for my GCSE controlled assessments too and I don't think I'll be able to come up with anything. :frown:

Frenchies!! (But I'm still not decided on my A-Level subjects yet.) Translation should be fine . . . it's the writing I'm worried about, srsly how much do they expect you to write? I hope it's on a gcse topic by accident, not some philosophical, ex-Oxbridge question where you can't even understand what the question is let alone how to answer it! Verb conjgations are the worst. I find when I am prepping for CATs/exams, I lose all confidence in my abilities and look up conjugations for things like 'avoir', not because I don't know it but because I feel I might not know it and am so insecure about my french.

From this thread, apparently you do have to talk in the language in interviews but they'll test you depending on your ability/performance in the exam, getting increasingly difficult as you give more complex answers. That's not to say it'll be good if they don't push you beyond 'Bonjour! Ca va?', because then you defo aren't getting in. Dah! Frecnh people! Why you make your language so complicated??? Ugh, I feel really embarrassed to talk to people in french due to IMO my awkward, clunky, comical accent with Midland overtones, but my French teacher says I'm doing fine. 'Fine' is not a good word. Worst thing is I feel pretentious if I truly try to imitate a french accent. I feel that's absolutely the worst part of the entire process and it'll drastically reduce my already small chances.

Does anyone esle feel the same when speaking french, esp. to a frenchie/academic of french? If so, do you think it is more a psychological thing and they will understand that you are nowhere near the finished article, or will they be cringing??
Original post by deadpinkfluffycat
That's not fair. Everyone else is sending in their latest set of results - which are their mocks. Why can't you guys just send in what you have. Everyone else did badly too, as it's everyone's first set of mocks. Also, Westminster requested our LATEST exam results, which our mocks counts as.

When did you do your mocks? 'Cos in our school they are in december. And I spectacularly messed up on a copule of subjects in my end of year exams which are on my report. Worst thing is they were my best subjects. :frown:
Original post by Cola_23
Hi everyone! I opened a TSR account just to comment on this thread. I really want to go to Westminster but I don't think I'm good enough, plus I'm going to need bursaries. I am so worried about the exams and interviews! Btw, anyone know what they will ask at the general interview and the subject interviews (though I don't think I'll be able to get to that stage anyway)? I'm planning to do maths, physics, chemistry & french.
Also, has anyone started their personal statements, or even finished? How do you start it? I have no idea because I've never done one before. Do you guys do lots of extra-curriculars? I'm not sporty or well-rounded at all, so I'm worried about that. Do you think I should still apply in that case? :s-smilie:

LMAO. I am the same as you. Westminster want 'exceptional', I'm more . . . 'special' (and not the good kind). I do a few ECs, but not to national/international levels, and I've never really won competitions in any. In fact, my fave hobby is painting but it's not official (I don;t go to a club or anything)and my skills don't reflect that I paint a lot for fun. I'm not sporty. And 'well-rounded' is a term I use to describe myself after a big lunch. :biggrin: JK....

I'm applying still, although I don't know if I;m being delusional. Anyone have any opinions on this??

And personal statements: the art of selling yourself and singing your praises whilst still appearing modest and humble. How the hell do you do that???????? I really don;t know how to start! Tips would be very much appreciated.
When did you do your mocks? 'Cos in our school they are in december. And I spectacularly messed up on a copule of subjects in my end of year exams which are on my report. Worst thing is they were my best subjects. :frown:

Oh, my mocks were in June. Whatever, Westminster wants the latest set of results, which I'll bet you 95% of people did badly in (actually, please don't bet against me; stats is my mortal enemy). If you scrolled back a couple of pages, you'll see that I did quite badly too. My best subjects are English and Maths, and if I didn't do spectacularly well, it would be useless since EVERYONE does that, and probably to quite a high level. My point is that everyone did badly and to tell you not to lie and give in an older set of grades.
That's just...not fair. :/

LMAO. I am the same as you. Westminster want 'exceptional', I'm more . . . 'special' (and not the good kind). I do a few ECs, but not to national/international levels, and I've never really won competitions in any. In fact, my fave hobby is painting but it's not official (I don;t go to a club or anything)and my skills don't reflect that I paint a lot for fun. I'm not sporty. And 'well-rounded' is a term I use to describe myself after a big lunch. :biggrin: JK....

I'm applying still, although I don't know if I;m being delusional. Anyone have any opinions on this??

And personal statements: the art of selling yourself and singing your praises whilst still appearing modest and humble. How the hell do you do that???????? I really don;t know how to start! Tips would be very much appreciated.

Same. I'm the mortal enemy of all PE teachers. xD
I do orchestra and MUN for CCAs, but I'd suppose they wouldn't be much help, since I suck at music and I've skipped most of my MUN sessions (I had valid reasons; reasons that weren't true, but whatever :P) and my hobby would be...um...reading, I suppose? Writing, maybe? But how the heck do you work that in a PS? lol I might be delusional to apply, as well. Perhaps we're ALL delusional.
But maybe sometimes delusional is good?
Frenchies!! (But I'm still not decided on my A-Level subjects yet.) Translation should be fine . . . it's the writing I'm worried about, srsly how much do they expect you to write? I hope it's on a gcse topic by accident, not some philosophical, ex-Oxbridge question where you can't even understand what the question is let alone how to answer it! Verb conjgations are the worst. I find when I am prepping for CATs/exams, I lose all confidence in my abilities and look up conjugations for things like 'avoir', not because I don't know it but because I feel I might not know it and am so insecure about my french.

From this thread, apparently you do have to talk in the language in interviews but they'll test you depending on your ability/performance in the exam, getting increasingly difficult as you give more complex answers. That's not to say it'll be good if they don't push you beyond 'Bonjour! Ca va?', because then you defo aren't getting in. Dah! Frecnh people! Why you make your language so complicated??? Ugh, I feel really embarrassed to talk to people in french due to IMO my awkward, clunky, comical accent with Midland overtones, but my French teacher says I'm doing fine. 'Fine' is not a good word. Worst thing is I feel pretentious if I truly try to imitate a french accent. I feel that's absolutely the worst part of the entire process and it'll drastically reduce my already small chances.

Does anyone esle feel the same when speaking french, esp. to a frenchie/academic of french? If so, do you think it is more a psychological thing and they will understand that you are nowhere near the finished article, or will they be cringing??

Haha, I considered applying for French too, but I decided against it. It'll look sewwww kewwwlll doing 4 mfls for igcses and none for a levels haha.
My concern was that I'd have forgotten all my French then, as I took my French IGCSE in May (externally) and I have Spanish next year (which might cause me to forget my French, since the topics and things we have to prepare for are so similar).
Don't take French then,if you're really worried about it, unless you absolutely love it. If you are really into the subject you want to take, you will give a better impression than someone who's half-hearted about it.
7 MORE DAYS TILL MY RESULTS COME OUT DAMNIT.
I'll probably do really badly. D:
Reply 1396

Same here, I haven't done any mocks yet, I think they're in november. My end-of-year exam results were not the best either, it's so frustrating! :frown:
Reply 1397

Well from the booklet it says it involves the writing of a composition in French of about 200 words from a choice of two or three titles. Topics fall within those defined by the IGCSE boards.
Conjugated verbs :s-smilie:
OMG I really don't think I'll be able to come up with any French in such a pressurised situation, let alone more complex answers.
Reply 1398

I hardly do any ECs and I hate PE more than anything else, so I guess that's not much help.
I'm defo delusional in considering to apply :biggrin:
Reply 1399
Original post by deadpinkfluffycat
Haha, I considered applying for French too, but I decided against it. It'll look sewwww kewwwlll doing 4 mfls for igcses and none for a levels haha.
My concern was that I'd have forgotten all my French then, as I took my French IGCSE in May (externally) and I have Spanish next year (which might cause me to forget my French, since the topics and things we have to prepare for are so similar).
Don't take French then,if you're really worried about it, unless you absolutely love it. If you are really into the subject you want to take, you will give a better impression than someone who's half-hearted about it.
7 MORE DAYS TILL MY RESULTS COME OUT DAMNIT.
I'll probably do really badly. D:

Wow, 4 mfls, which ones?
So which subjects are you considering for A levels?
Good luck with your exam results! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending