The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Hey guys, its about time we got a thread going for prospective PGCE applicants applying for 2016 entry.

Has anyone else started gaining experience or written their personal statement?
What subject are you looking to study?
Where are you applying?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TunaTunnel
Hey guys, its about time we got a thread going for prospective PGCE applicants applying for 2016 entry.

Has anyone else started gaining experience or written their personal statement?
What subject are you looking to study?
Where are you applying?

Hey...

I am planning on applying for a PGCE in 2016, I am a mature student (27) but after speaking to some universities they said that it can work in my favor (life experience and all that).

Haven't started a personal statement as of yet or gaining experience, once the schools start back I will email/call around to see if I can obtain some. How much is the norm do you think? A week?
Looking to study Chemistry
Applying for Bristol University, UWE and Bath Spa..

How about yourself?
Reply 2
Original post by Lambert87
Hey...

I am planning on applying for a PGCE in 2016, I am a mature student (27) but after speaking to some universities they said that it can work in my favor (life experience and all that).

Haven't started a personal statement as of yet or gaining experience, once the schools start back I will email/call around to see if I can obtain some. How much is the norm do you think? A week?
Looking to study Chemistry
Applying for Bristol University, UWE and Bath Spa..

How about yourself?

Thats really good, I guess you wanted a change of scenery?

I'd say 1-2 weeks. I have 1 week so far, but I've got a lot more of experience being negotiated now. Aiming for 7 more placements in secondary schools and 2 primary.

Sweet, another scientist. I'm going for physics, looking at Cambridge, Oxford and Durham (where I study now). Might change one to somewhere like Warwick/York.
Reply 3
Hello!

I'm also looking to apply for teacher training beginning 2016, but will be for secondary History.

I'm hoping to be down the South West of England, either through SCITT, Schools Direct or PGCE.

I'm also 27, so a mature student, however I'm just going into my 3rd year of my degree through Open University.

I do have a problem though... I'm Scottish and live up here. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge regarding Scottish experience and Scottish Standard Grades and Highers? I've been contact with a SCITT in Cornwall, who told me that English experience is preferred, and that if I did 5 days teaching in Scotland there may be conditions on still doing 10 days in England. Now I do get that they're different, and I've worked so hard to get to where I am, that I am prepared to go down to do some English experience, however I am worried that it may not be so imperative and it may be unnecessary. I'm also worried that if I applied with Scottish experience, it may make my application less desirable even for an interview. If I went that route though, I would be stating in my application that my intention is to get some experience in an English school from February onward (contract finishes then). Does anyone have advice on this?

Lambert, have you looked at the SCITT or Schools Direct route? It may save you some money and may even get you paid if you tried any of those routes.

Thanks for reading! I know it was a bit of a worry-waffle!
Thats really good, I guess you wanted a change of scenery?

I'd say 1-2 weeks. I have 1 week so far, but I've got a lot more of experience being negotiated now. Aiming for 7 more placements in secondary schools and 2 primary.

Sweet, another scientist. I'm going for physics, looking at Cambridge, Oxford and Durham (where I study now). Might change one to somewhere like Warwick/York.

Very nice... Physics and Chem are "shortage subjects" too aren't they?

What grade are you predicted?

Original post by fergi
Hello!

I'm also looking to apply for teacher training beginning 2016, but will be for secondary History.

I'm hoping to be down the South West of England, either through SCITT, Schools Direct or PGCE.

I'm also 27, so a mature student, however I'm just going into my 3rd year of my degree through Open University.

I do have a problem though... I'm Scottish and live up here. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge regarding Scottish experience and Scottish Standard Grades and Highers? I've been contact with a SCITT in Cornwall, who told me that English experience is preferred, and that if I did 5 days teaching in Scotland there may be conditions on still doing 10 days in England. Now I do get that they're different, and I've worked so hard to get to where I am, that I am prepared to go down to do some English experience, however I am worried that it may not be so imperative and it may be unnecessary. I'm also worried that if I applied with Scottish experience, it may make my application less desirable even for an interview. If I went that route though, I would be stating in my application that my intention is to get some experience in an English school from February onward (contract finishes then). Does anyone have advice on this?

Lambert, have you looked at the SCITT or Schools Direct route? It may save you some money and may even get you paid if you tried any of those routes.

Thanks for reading! I know it was a bit of a worry-waffle!

Another 27 year old OU student :smile: nice to "meet you"

Don't know much about SCITT or Schools Direct... What is the benefits of doing those? Are you applying for those?

South West -- As in Bristol area?
Reply 5
More South and West, looking at Cornwall, Devon area. An extreme change from the Highlands!

Nice to "meet you" too. Have you completed your OU degree yet? I'm so close...

The benefits for someone like you in a shortage subject can be good, such as high bursaries (I think maybe around £20k for you, although I would double check) through a non salaried Schools Direct position. With your life experience and shortage degree/subject you may have decent chance of getting onto those. A salaried position is also an option, although you are treated as a normal worker with tax an NI, but you earn and I believe you don't 'pay' tuition? As in maybe it's included or something?

These 3 options are much more school based than university based though. I think the stats I heard were that last year 55% of teacher trainees went through these options.

I will probably apply for 2 SCITT and may try 1 Schools Direct (salaried) although I'm not sure if I fancy my chances. I've heard that most of the SD salaried positions go to people who have worked in the education sector for years or currently (Teaching Assistants, etc.) but then again I am looking at History not a science!

About the experience: I'm really restricted for Annual Leave in my current position, so can really only get in 5 full days of experience before I apply, however what I have heard and been reading is that as long as you line up and state your intention of doing more, they may still consider you and might offer you a place based on conditions of actually doing more. What I've also heard though is that without even 1 day experience you will not be invited for interview.

I'm confused though with the whole Scottish/English thing.
Reply 6
Very nice... Physics and Chem are "shortage subjects" too aren't they?

What grade are you predicted?

Another 27 year old OU student :smile: nice to "meet you"

Don't know much about SCITT or Schools Direct... What is the benefits of doing those? Are you applying for those?

South West -- As in Bristol area?

I'm on the 2:2/2:1 borderline, im gonna have to work hard to push a 2:1 :frown:
Exams arent really my sort of thing.
I'm on the 2:2/2:1 borderline, im gonna have to work hard to push a 2:1 :frown:
Exams arent really my sort of thing.

Exactly the same as you.... My last module is Evolution and I swear to god I thought it would be the easiest one and it's the hardest by far!
Hello... I'm thinking of applying for PGCE English in October looking at London and the South East. I'm 21... 22 by the time I finish the PGCE (still feel I'm a bit young lol) If I'm not successful I'll likely get experience as a teaching assistant or perhaps take a masters to improve my subject knowledge...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zoelaylee
Hello... I'm thinking of applying for PGCE English in October looking at London and the South East. I'm 21... 22 by the time I finish the PGCE (still feel I'm a bit young lol) If I'm not successful I'll likely get experience as a teaching assistant or perhaps take a masters to improve my subject knowledge...

Have faith... if you think you will succeed you most likely will :smile: good luck!
Reply 10
Hi,I'm looking to apply for a RE secondary pgce for 2016. I haven't done my personal statement yet as I'm waiting to get some solid work experience in a RE department first especially as I have an unrelated degree. Right now the thought of teaching Infront of a class seems scary but hopefully I will improve with doing work experience.

one thing that slightly worries me is that I graduated last year and when I start my PGCE I will be 23 years old. Ideally I should have started it straight from uni at 21 but honestly it has taken me time to settle on a career.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by chloeww
Hi,I'm looking to apply for a RE secondary pgce for 2016. I haven't done my personal statement yet as I'm waiting to get some solid work experience in a RE department first especially as I have an unrelated degree. Right now the thought of teaching Infront of a class seems scary but hopefully I will improve with doing work experience.

one thing that slightly worries me is that I graduated last year and when I start my PGCE I will be 23 years old. Ideally I should have started it straight from uni at 21 but honestly it has taken me time to settle on a career.

I'll be 24 going into my masters year, though I look 17.
Original post by chloeww

I'm starting an RE PGCE in September as a career changer. I'm 34 in December. Every teacher and lecturer I have spoken to has made it clear how much of an asset life experience can be so I wouldn't worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all, also thinking of doing a PGCE starting Sept 2016. I will be applying to teach Computer Science. I'll be 22 when I graduate. Was thinking about teach first but it seems i'll be financially much better off doing a university based PGCE and getting a bursary if they are still available next year. I did a year working in industry as a software engineer but didn't find it very fulfilling - I have spent time in secondary schools working with young people and find it much more rewarding. All the best with your applications!
Reply 14
If anyone wants help/advice with maths QTS I've already done it so I'm willing to help :smile:
Hi all! Good luck with the applications :smile:

I'm applying for a Primary PGCE - first choice is MMU, then Cumbria Uni (did my undergrad here) but not sure about others yet. Mainly looking at North West area.

Started looking at examples of personal statements as well as write some notes for my own - no sentences yet. Anyone know when the UCAS goes live?

Experience wise, I'm contacting schools next week. But a local primary school advertises for graduates to help out and get work experience so fingers crossed they have space for me! MMU wants 3 weeks experience, which could be problematic as I work full time. I think I'm going to take off a mixture of paid and unpaid holiday. :/ Not ideal but needs to happen.

Been brushing up on my maths skills for the QTS skills test currently - know I need some serious revision - fun times! :tongue:
Original post by chloeww

I'll be 28 :frown:
Original post by laura.a.c265
I'm starting an RE PGCE in September as a career changer. I'm 34 in December. Every teacher and lecturer I have spoken to has made it clear how much of an asset life experience can be so I wouldn't worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely, they have said the same to me!
If anyone wants help/advice with maths QTS I've already done it so I'm willing to help :smile:

Have you? Is it difficult? What are the hardest type of questions? Doing a biochem degree means the maths should be ok...

Original post by MissBunny
Hi all! Good luck with the applications :smile:

I'm applying for a Primary PGCE - first choice is MMU, then Cumbria Uni (did my undergrad here) but not sure about others yet. Mainly looking at North West area.

Started looking at examples of personal statements as well as write some notes for my own - no sentences yet. Anyone know when the UCAS goes live?

Experience wise, I'm contacting schools next week. But a local primary school advertises for graduates to help out and get work experience so fingers crossed they have space for me! MMU wants 3 weeks experience, which could be problematic as I work full time. I think I'm going to take off a mixture of paid and unpaid holiday. :/ Not ideal but needs to happen.

Been brushing up on my maths skills for the QTS skills test currently - know I need some serious revision - fun times! :tongue:

27th October I believe
Absolutely, they have said the same to me!

I'm an OU grad too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest