The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Thanks guys :smile:

Tried the maths one, that was horrible. Lots of work needed here!!!
RE: the QTS test, I'm currently working my way through this little number and so far it is great. My tests are booked for 27th November so I'm basically just gonna go through it as much as possible along with the online stuff. I'm hoping as an aspiring English teacher I won't have to worry so much about the literacy one...!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pass-Numeracy-Skills-Test-Ease/dp/1494387719/ref=pd_sim_14_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1H81TRRQYAG28X6844EP&dpID=419wAeAV8CL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL200_SR133%2C200_

Even for someone who just scraped a C at Maths GCSE back in the late nineties...!
My school experience is sorted out. I will do this for next two weeks. My biggest worry is about my references. I have been on a career break for five years. So, my last job references are more than five years old. Can I still use them?
By the way the QTS pass mark is 63 %, as per the official government page! :tongue:
Original post by Niyo123
My school experience is sorted out. I will do this for next two weeks. My biggest worry is about my references. I have been on a career break for five years. So, my last job references are more than five years old. Can I still use them?

You can use a teacher from your classroom experience

-------------------------------------------
If I help at all, please press the thumbs up :-)
Going to a uni open day today to hear about their PGCE's and school direct courses. Kinda excited!!
Original post by martyncooper
RE: the QTS test, I'm currently working my way through this little number and so far it is great. My tests are booked for 27th November so I'm basically just gonna go through it as much as possible along with the online stuff. I'm hoping as an aspiring English teacher I won't have to worry so much about the literacy one...!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pass-Numeracy-Skills-Test-Ease/dp/1494387719/ref=pd_sim_14_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1H81TRRQYAG28X6844EP&dpID=419wAeAV8CL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL200_SR133%2C200_

Even for someone who just scraped a C at Maths GCSE back in the late nineties...!

Thanks for that! I was looking for something for numeracy but a lot were getting terrible reviews!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just spoke to my manager briefly. I can go on relief support work, I just need to give 28 days notice and state in the later that I want to go on relief :smile: woo!! Happy about that now! :smile: can concentrate more on me and myself now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 388
Congrats on getting the go ahead to go on relief contract hours!

I've been away for the weekend so I'm slowly catching up on people's posts!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anybody know if your references see your personal statement?
Original post by emilyyou
Does anybody know if your references see your personal statement?

No they don't

Original post by Niyo123

If you do school experience in two schools, you can use both of those. That is what I was told at Chichester Uni's open day on Saturday. They said they would prefer that than one from my current PhD supervisor. They want to know what you are like with kids, so no point using a reference that won't know that.
Original post by Charocall
Hi all,

Im hoping to apply to a PGCE in chemistry for 2016 entry and I was wondering if anyone had some advice. I'm doing a MSc in a chemistry related field and I dont have time until my thesis is submitted to get a couple of weeks classroom experience (next April). I have a first class honours in chemistry and soon to be a 2year research masters, Ive also worked as a volunteer for a science related schools programme where we go to schools and do experiments with the kids. I've demonstrated undergraduates in biology and chemistry and I've tutored outside college, but like I said - no classroom hours. I was hoping if anyone knows if theres any chance this might suffice seeing as its a priority subject and if I say im willing to get work experience before the school year is out.

They need to know that you know exactly what to expect teaching in a classroom, so I doubt you will get an interview without any classroom experience. Can you not squeeze in any time at all before April? You don't have to do it in a block - it could be a day or even half a day here or there. That said, speak to some of the providers you are interested in to get their opinion. I was told I have plenty of time to apply for Maths or Physics courses because they tend to have spaces right up until September, so it isn't a problem for me to wait until I can get experience in January. I won't be applying before then though.
Hi everyone, I'm going to be applying for primary in Coventry/Warwickshire area this October. I currently work in a secondary school as an associate teacher, and I volunteer at a cubs group with primary aged children. I worry that I won't have enough primary experience, but it's hard as I work full time term time. I've put in my personal statement that I can gain some experience if I get offered a place, because I can leave my job in order to do so. But until then... I don't know!

My question is: when can we register? Can we register before tomorrow, as we can apply from tomorrow and you can usually register beforehand?
Thanks!
Original post by shannonbeth
Hi everyone, I'm going to be applying for primary in Coventry/Warwickshire area this October. I currently work in a secondary school as an associate teacher, and I volunteer at a cubs group with primary aged children. I worry that I won't have enough primary experience, but it's hard as I work full time term time. I've put in my personal statement that I can gain some experience if I get offered a place, because I can leave my job in order to do so. But until then... I don't know!

My question is: when can we register? Can we register before tomorrow, as we can apply from tomorrow and you can usually register beforehand?
Thanks!

You can search from tomorrow and apply from October 27th :-)

So we can't register - as in put in all of our details and stuff as you would on an undergrad application - until tomorrow?
Reply 396
Can you get a maintenence loan from student finance for a PGCE?
Original post by S27
Can you get a maintenence loan from student finance for a PGCE?
Yes.
Original post by Lambert87
You can use a teacher from your classroom experience

Can I? I wonder if they would agree to be a referee as I am doing my experience in two different schools. Five days in each. It's not much to get a reference. What do you think?
Original post by fluffyowl
If you do school experience in two schools, you can use both of those. That is what I was told at Chichester Uni's open day on Saturday. They said they would prefer that than one from my current PhD supervisor. They want to know what you are like with kids, so no point using a reference that won't know that.

Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending