The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by kizzz!
Does anyone have any idea when the ITT place allocations will be announced? It was around this time last year when they were published for 15/16 entry.

Here's the link for last years if anyone is interested - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/initial-teacher-training-allocations-for-academic-year-2015-to-2016

I don't know the total quota allocation but here's something I saw on a university website : From 2016 Teacher Training providers can make as many offers as they want in each subject and phase (primary/secondary) until the national quota has been met, after which point they will not be permitted to recruit further students to that subject and phase.Therefore, it is essential applications are submitted as early as possible, to avoid disappointment.
Original post by kizzz!
Does anyone have any idea when the ITT place allocations will be announced? It was around this time last year when they were published for 15/16 entry.

Here's the link for last years if anyone is interested - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/initial-teacher-training-allocations-for-academic-year-2015-to-2016

They're doing away with that this year.
Original post by mmerain
I don't know the total quota allocation but here's something I saw on a university website : From 2016 Teacher Training providers can make as many offers as they want in each subject and phase (primary/secondary) until the national quota has been met, after which point they will not be permitted to recruit further students to that subject and phase.Therefore, it is essential applications are submitted as early as possible, to avoid disappointment.

Annoying! Would be good to have some kind of idea of the number of places that each provider is looking at recruiting. The providers must have some rough idea of the number of places that they can provide. Especially some school directs that only intend on offering 1-2 places, I'd rather apply somewhere where I have more of a chance of being accepted
Hi,

I'm a newbie here. Looking forward to starting my application tomorrow although I haven't finished my personal statement yet :unimpressed:
Might be of interest-
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/initial-teacher-training-itt-recruitment-controls

Although frustrating because I'm hoping to apply for EY/KS1 only and now all primary courses are now just under the title of 'Primary'
Reply 585
Original post by xJessx
I haven't decided yet for sure but I might be applying for a PGCE starting in Sep. I'm teaching TEFL abroad and I come back in about a month so I'm currently emailing schools trying to get the observations in and would do my application in Dec. Good luck everyone else!

I'm a TEFL-er, probably applying for secondary chemistry (probably for the applying part, not the chemistry bit!). I've been teaching for about 8 years, so I'm hoping that will work in my favour as I'm going to be abroad till March. I've managed to visit some international schools here and hopefully I can visit a school at home on a quick trip back in January. Although I'm hoping I might apply early enough to have some interviews in that holiday too. Fingers crossed....

Good luck to you other TEFL guys (and everyone else!)
Just had a call supposedly from the Department of Education Premier Plus people but I wasn't sure tbh?

I mean yes they seemed to have access to my info - they knew the course I wanted to apply for - but still feel pretty uneasy having given them personal details etc. I'll see if my Get Into Teaching profile has updated as that was what she was checking apparently.
Still struggling with personal statement... How on earth am I going to cut it down that much!!!! Got a week in a school next week so will wait til after and have even more to squeeze in....
Original post by Aemiliana
Just had a call supposedly from the Department of Education Premier Plus people but I wasn't sure tbh?

I mean yes they seemed to have access to my info - they knew the course I wanted to apply for - but still feel pretty uneasy having given them personal details etc. I'll see if my Get Into Teaching profile has updated as that was what she was checking apparently.

Strange, you normally get it for shortage subjects, pretty sure did ask for my details too.
Original post by TunaTunnel
Strange, you normally get it for shortage subjects, pretty sure did ask for my details too.

Latin falls under languages so it is a shortage subject (the EBacc requires a langauge, it doesn't have to be modern and without a speaking or listening component it's more accessible for pupils who may struggle with those).

Oh and with the EBacc the government is talking about preventing schools from getting Outstanding OFSTED ratings if they don't provide all the necessary subjects.

Plus there's a huge shortage of Classics teachers in the UK anyway.

Hopefully the phone call wasn't from some rando trying to get all my details as the phone call wasn't that helpful to be honest!
Reply 590
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows the specifics for the opening of the application? Is it midnight?

So much to do so little time haha!

Thanks in advance
Just finished rewriting my personal statement. Not that I'm a glutton for punishment or anything...
Hi i have a question,

I rejected an offer onto a pgce last year as i felt i wasnt quite ready, i am applying again this year. Is it OK to use the same or only slightly amended personal statement or will UCAS regect it for plagarism?
Original post by Aemiliana

Did you see the number they called from?

I had a phone call from them a while ago. We agreed they would call back again in a month's time which they did. They also emailed me about the School Experience Programme and I was contacted by a Premier Plus advisor. So everything was genuine.
(edited 8 years ago)
I've been drafting and re-drafting my statement for about 1 month now. Its on it's 7th draft. Now I just want to get it submitted because I know I'm always gonna be fiddling with it. 3912 characters and 47 lines.

In other news, likewise after a month of hitting the how to pass maths test book hard I am now scoring higher in maths key skills practice tests than literacy (applying for english secondary)!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gerald1990
Hi i have a question,

I rejected an offer onto a pgce last year as i felt i wasnt quite ready, i am applying again this year. Is it OK to use the same or only slightly amended personal statement or will UCAS regect it for plagarism?

I'm using the same one (with a few bits added/taken out) I used last year! I've had a look around and I'm sure you can.
Reply 596
Hi everyone!

So I'm a little behind with my application and stressing out slightly.. I'm just wondering if everyone is prepared to send off their applications tomorrow and I'm the only one who isn't ready?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by vb23
Hi everyone!

So I'm a little behind with my application and stressing out slightly.. I'm just wondering if everyone is prepared to send off their applications tomorrow and I'm the only idiot who isn't ready?

UCAS website might not even work properly tomorrow with so many people trying to register :wink:

I hope I'll be able to fill the application in by Wednesday but I'm rushing only because I'm worried my references will take a long time.
Reply 598
Hello! I was wondering the same thing! I still can't seem to log on! :/ Did you figure out the time ? Thank you and best of luck!
Reply 599
Hi again!
Sorry to post twice in such a short space of time, I just realised I forgot to ask something in my first post. I'm applying for PGCE in Primary education and I have some experience (helped in a primary school for a week but around 5 years ago, taught teenagers in a school in Kenya and I am currently working as a TA for 12-16 year olds) but I have no solid recent experience for primary aged children.
So my question is, is it vital that I have that experience before I apply? Will it make my application look significantly better?
And if the answer to those questions is yes, I'm currently living abroad for the year in America, could I get at least some experience here and it would help? Or would it be ~void~ because I'm in a different country?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending