The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eve38383
Next week is going to be stressful - QTS for both numeracy and literacy on Monday, and interviewing for my 1st and 2nd choices on Weds and Thurs (PGCE History). Honestly don't know how I'm going to cope. I have work on Sunday and Monday so have almost no prep time (I had to take time off for both of them, so can't really take any more days). I really hope I don't scupper my chances by having everything so close together and on such short notice (only found out yesterday afternoon).

Good luck!! I booked my maths for the end of November! I'll prolly book my lit one in December. Just keep a level head and you'll walk through it! Take it step by step :smile:
Passed QTS Numeracy and Literacy! Yay :h:
Original post by rede121
Passed QTS Numeracy and Literacy! Yay :h:

Congratulations .... Did you revise much?
Original post by Adam020020
Congratulations .... Did you revise much?

I did one practice paper for each,the night before. I booked it on Thursday and did it today- It really isn't that bad, i think the most difficult part is probably the comprehension section, as my mind began to drift reading, and maybe the maths audio section due to timing.

What I will say is the practice papers seem are pretty much identical in the types of questions asked and the style. So I would definitely practice a few before you go.
Original post by rede121
I did one practice paper for each,the night before. I booked it on Thursday and did it today- It really isn't that bad, i think the most difficult part is probably the comprehension section, as my mind began to drift reading, and maybe the maths audio section due to timing.

What I will say is the practice papers seem are pretty much identical in the types of questions asked and the style. So I would definitely practice a few before you go.

Yeah I've booked mine for end of January so trying to focus on these interviews for know !
Can someone help me? I am applying fo a primary pgce next autumn.

For the work experience and professional skills test. Do these need to be carried out before applying to the pgce?? I was under the impression it was between applying and starting tne pgce.

I am a reading volunteer in a local school. Does this count as work experience or do I need something else?
Original post by Shaunagh1
Can someone help me? I am applying fo a primary pgce next autumn.

For the work experience and professional skills test. Do these need to be carried out before applying to the pgce?? I was under the impression it was between applying and starting tne pgce.

I am a reading volunteer in a local school. Does this count as work experience or do I need something else?

Hi, your volunteer work will count so I would definitely get applying. I've only done 5 days (although ongoing placement) and I still applied and have two interviews!

You don't need to have passed the skills tests before applying but it's a good idea to book them as there is a section on the form to write down the dates.

Good luck xx

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I only volunteer for one day per week and only for 2 hours. Do I count those as a day each? Or do I add up the hours to calculate how many full days I would have volunteered for?

I only volunteer for one day per week and only for 2 hours. Do I count those as a day each? Or do I add up the hours to calculate how many full days I would have volunteered for?

The UCAS form has a 'hours per week' bit so you could say 2 hours per week. That wouldn't count as your 10 days school experience though, as this has to be observing teaching in the classroom.

Good luck!!
Original post by ChancedTravels
The UCAS form has a 'hours per week' bit so you could say 2 hours per week. That wouldn't count as your 10 days school experience though, as this has to be observing teaching in the classroom.

Good luck!!

Does this need to be 10 full days or can it be split over longer? I am doing a full time PhD so I can't really do 10 full days at once.

Does this need to be fully completed before my application?
Does this need to be 10 full days or can it be split over longer? I am doing a full time PhD so I can't really do 10 full days at once.

It can be split up though some providers apparently prefer it if you spend a full school week in one place. I could only spend 3 days a week due to work.

Going to multiple different schools is recommended because then you see a variety of teaching methods. I thought that the first school I went to had some good teachers but having been to two more I now see that it was actually the worst of the three.

As for whether or not you need to have completed it before you apply, you're best contacting providers you're interested in as it seems to vary.

No, it can usually be like 20 weekly mornings etc. Some institutions require you spend a solid 5 days eg. UCL what 5 continuous days with one class, but you'll have to have a look at the entry requirements listed by your chosen providers.

It's useful to have done some before your interview so you can reflect on it, but it can be prospective when you apply, so long as you can say when and where you will be going.
Can we use the same personal statement for both UCAS UNDERGRADUATE entry for teaching in Scotland and UCAS teacher training???? Will it spark plagiarism or is that okay? It probably sounds stupid but I'm not familiar with the UK system......
Thanks! Have done two practice papers each for maths and lit, but they aren't as hard as I'd feared, so if they are the same level tomorrow I should be fine. Hope I don't get any bizarre spellings!
Original post by Monty21
Good luck!! I booked my maths for the end of November! I'll prolly book my lit one in December. Just keep a level head and you'll walk through it! Take it step by step :smile:

Haha thanks - feeling ok at the moment, will be braindead by Thursday evening though! I think I'm set for the skills tests, it's the interviews I'm worried about. There's actually a little more prep required than I'd expected for both interviews (pre interview tasks and forms to fill in; material to read that I'll be questioned on; mini lessons to plan). But then again, I imagine teachers have way more prep to do on a weekly basis so this is probably something I should just get used to!

Good luck to everyone with their applications and interviews.
First interview this morning :|

Good luck!!

Original post by GreenMeerkat
Good luck!!

Go for it!!!
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question about school experience/observation. Especially for those who have already had interviews.

What do we need to take to prove we had them where we said we did? Is there a form or something that needs to be completed?

Good luck. Let us know how it goes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending