The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Monty21
thanks mate! i was originally thinking about this but my personal opinion is that too much tests isn't a good thing.. what if the interview may not disagree with my view.. that could put me in a bad position? i don't know

I stated my opinion that it was too much testing having baseline, KS1 phonics screenings, KS1 nationalised testing and Yr6 SATs - but gave a balanced argument - and the interviewer said he agreed with me completely!
Original post by Monty21
thanks mate! i was originally thinking about this but my personal opinion is that too much tests isn't a good thing.. what if the interview may not disagree with my view.. that could put me in a bad position? i don't know

Why not discuss both sides... Say what it is, why they are doing it and what the outcomes would hope to achieve?

Then state things like why test for younger children is a bad thing...
Hi, I am a bit confused about School-Direct(unsalaried) . Does this route involves only one school during your whole course?
Original post by ChancedTravels
I stated my opinion that it was too much testing having baseline, KS1 phonics screenings, KS1 nationalised testing and Yr6 SATs - but gave a balanced argument - and the interviewer said he agreed with me completely!

Thanks for the examples! I'll also give a balanced view :biggrin: But I should cement my view in the end even though if I give a balanced view?
Original post by Lambert87
Why not discuss both sides... Say what it is, why they are doing it and what the outcomes would hope to achieve?

Then state things like why test for younger children is a bad thing...

I'll definitely take this approach! But 2 mins I'll have to condense it since I'll be pitching to a group! Thanks for the tip! :smile:
A lot of us have got to know each other over the past few months and have been wondering how old everyone is?

I'm 28 (also my name is Kai and not Lambert)

I'm 23 :smile:
Original post by Monty21
Thanks for the examples! I'll also give a balanced view :biggrin: But I should cement my view in the end even though if I give a balanced view?

Personally, I think if you didn't give your own opinion, you might be seen to not fully have engaged with the issue/not have shown that you really care about it.
Original post by Niyo123
Hi, I am a bit confused about School-Direct(unsalaried) . Does this route involves only one school during your whole course?

Nope, a cluster of schools.
A lot of us have got to know each other over the past few months and have been wondering how old everyone is?

I'm 28 (also my name is Kai and not Lambert)

I'm 34! The grandad of this thread...
First skills test for me tomorrow, then I need to start interview prepping!!
So looking back on all my practice tests - I've got above the pass mark (it's 63% right?), it seems my area to improve on is punctuation (of all sections!) anyone got any online thing to read up on punctuation for tonight please that will help me? :smile:
Original post by jimbles
So looking back on all my practice tests - I've got above the pass mark (it's 63% right?), it seems my area to improve on is punctuation (of all sections!) anyone got any online thing to read up on punctuation for tonight please that will help me? :smile:

Remember that there are 15 marks so there should be 15 things for you to correct.

Check out the steve's learning site for more help on punctuation and the literacy tests. You will need to sign up but it's free.
Original post by Aemiliana
Remember that there are 15 marks so there should be 15 things for you to correct.

Check out the steve's learning site for more help on punctuation and the literacy tests. You will need to sign up but it's free.

haha yeah I try to do the obvious stuff first - full stops and capitals, then go back and try to figure out the rest. However I somehow struggle with that which is odd!

I got 80% overall on my last practice, doing well in spelling, grammar and comprehension, however all it will take is a few tough spellings, grammar or comprehension questions to throw my mark down a lot!
Original post by ChancedTravels
Personally, I think if you didn't give your own opinion, you might be seen to not fully have engaged with the issue/not have shown that you really care about it.

Yeah good thinking there :smile: thank you for your help :smile:
Original post by jimbles
haha yeah I try to do the obvious stuff first - full stops and capitals, then go back and try to figure out the rest. However I somehow struggle with that which is odd!

I got 80% overall on my last practice, doing well in spelling, grammar and comprehension, however all it will take is a few tough spellings, grammar or comprehension questions to throw my mark down a lot!

Yeah they can be a but obscure sometimes.

Steve's Learning has stuff for all of the literacy test, including links to Quizlet sets to help you learn likely words.

I've got to go through the comprehension help on there myself because I scored much lower than everywhere else for that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jimbles

spellings I had (that iI can remember were):

surveillance
collaboratively
independently
resilience
factorisation
Original post by martyncooper

Man with experience :smile:
Original post by martyncooper

Then I'm a great-grandmother, haha. 38 :redface:
Original post by jimbles

I've read somewhere that even if you change more than 15 things in punctuation, you're not penalised for that.
Original post by Aemiliana
Yeah they can be a but obscure sometimes.

Steve's Learning has stuff for all of the literacy test, including links to Quizlet sets to help you learn likely words.

I've got to go through the comprehension help on there myself because I scored much lower than everywhere else for that.

That's my case too ... I've always thought I was very good in comprehension. Obviously not :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending