The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kizzz!
Crikey such short notice! Do you have much to prepare?

10 min presentation is the worst part, then I want to go through my A level notes, also prepare for typical interview questions, plus prepare somehow for a written task.
Not happy right now.
Congrats to all new offers :smile:
BTW, this is an email I received this morning from Canterbury University:

"Are you planning to apply for a PGCE at Canterbury Christ Church University for 2016-17? If you are, you need to get your application in NOW. Places are filling fast and we expect to close some courses very soon. The courses at the top of the list that we expect to close soon are Primary PGCE, Secondary English, Secondary PE and Secondary History (including PGCE 7-14 in these three subject areas).
We understand that some applications are being held up awaiting references so we would urge applicants to alert their referees about the need to complete their references very quickly to allow their application to progress."

Obviously, PE is full now. It seems like Primary, English and History will follow soon.
Original post by *tango*
10 min presentation is the worst part, then I want to go through my A level notes, also prepare for typical interview questions, plus prepare somehow for a written task.
Not happy right now.

I feel you. Told today that I have to do a five minute presentation on a poem at one of my interviews next Friday. So that'll have to get done this weekend as I'm flying to London on Wednesday...

What are you applying for again Tango (if that is your real name)?
Had my interview for University of Manchester (my first choice) this morning and received an offer this afternoon. Absolutely over the moon!! Two interviews and two offers.. I can't believe it.

Also pretty thankful I don't need to attend the third interview next week. Two was quite enough!!

Yay!! So happy!!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Original post by martyncooper
I feel you. Told today that I have to do a five minute presentation on a poem at one of my interviews next Friday. So that'll have to get done this weekend as I'm flying to London on Wednesday...

What are you applying for again Tango (if that is your real name)?

Maths.

I'm going to write the whole 'speech' as that's what I always did when I was at uni and it worked 100%. If I just prepared notes and a power point presentation, I would probably be nervous like hell. I wonder how much I'll be able to say in 10 minutes.
Original post by GreenMeerkat
Had my interview for University of Manchester (my first choice) this morning and received an offer this afternoon. Absolutely over the moon!! Two interviews and two offers.. I can't believe it.

Also pretty thankful I don't need to attend the third interview next week. Two was quite enough!!

Yay!! So happy!!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Excellent! You can relax now and enjoy the next few months before all the mayham starts in September :wink:
Original post by *tango*
Yes, coming Monday. Apparently, I was supposed to get an email yesterday, which I didn't. What I've got today is a reminder that I haven't responded to the invitation.

The weekend is going to be really busy :redface:

Hahaha, I have just got an email from UEL thanking me for applying. I wonder how many more 'lost' emails I'll get.
Original post by *tango*
BTW, this is an email I received this morning from Canterbury University:

"Are you planning to apply for a PGCE at Canterbury Christ Church University for 2016-17? If you are, you need to get your application in NOW. Places are filling fast and we expect to close some courses very soon. The courses at the top of the list that we expect to close soon are Primary PGCE, Secondary English, Secondary PE and Secondary History (including PGCE 7-14 in these three subject areas).
We understand that some applications are being held up awaiting references so we would urge applicants to alert their referees about the need to complete their references very quickly to allow their application to progress."

Obviously, PE is full now. It seems like Primary, English and History will follow soon.

Oh god. That's really scary. I've got my primary pgce interview next Wednesday 😖 I hope they aren't all full up by then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *tango*
Hahaha, I have just got an email from UEL thanking me for applying. I wonder how many more 'lost' emails I'll get.

Got the same one! One of the schools I'm applying to are with UEL.
Original post by martyncooper
Got the same one! One of the schools I'm applying to are with UEL.

I'm applying there too. It's just that the first time I heard from them was yesterday when they sent me a REMINDER regarding my interview (I had no idea I had one, ha). And only now they sent me an email thanking for applying. Their system seems to be a bit messy :wink:
Original post by jimbles
Oh god. That's really scary. I've got my primary pgce interview next Wednesday 😖 I hope they aren't all full up by then!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's because this year they have changed the whole system of allocating places. Universities don't know how many places they will get in the end - NCTL tells them when to stop recruiting because a sufficient number of offers for the particular subject has been made in England.
This happened to my friend last year from University of Birmingham Primary PGCE course. She had to reply within 10 days, however her other interviews were after the 10 days so she had to go for Birmingham in case she was unsuccessful at the others! Very unfair.
Has anyone heard from University of Birmingham, University of Leicester or Sheffield Hallam for primary PGCE? I've only had confirmation that they've received my UCAS so far
I did have an interview offer at U of Birm but I turned down the offer as I decided it wouldn't be for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just been offered another interview! Pretty late at night wasn't expecting it, feeling nervous now ahhh
Original post by jimbles
Just working on my written assignment notes for the interview next week.

Just taking a break and I was wondering, does anyone know of any current issues in primary education that I could talk about? They expect us to understand and know some!

Use the guardian website :smile:
Original post by goldfishgirl
Bit confused about something,

When I was interviewed at Sussex, they made me sign a declaration in which one of the statements was that, should I receive an offer, I had to reply to it within 10 working days.

I'm assuming this is the 10 working days after you get ALL your offers (which UCAS states on its website), and you don't have to reply separately?

Okay I've just re-read the letter, it says I have to reply to UCAS themselves, not Sussex, within ten working days, which obviously I can't do yet as I've only had one response! I'm taking this as benefit of the doubt and assuming they don't mean ten days straight after you get the offer.

I'll still ring UCAS and Sussex up to check on Monday though, but now I'm kinda worried!
Can anyone recommend any good books for primary education? Im just trying to improve my knowledge but I don't want to waste my money on a crap book!
Also to those looking at educational issues, look at the educational supplement or tes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending