The Student Room Group

Working as an Air Hostess

I REALLY want to work as cabin crew. How can I get some good customer service or hospitality experience? Bearing in mind that I cannot currently afford a course in hospitality, and I have found it impossible to get any kind of job in a bar or a shop. I do have part time work at the moment, but if there was some kind of experience I could do alongside this, what would people recommend?

Thanks
I would have thought being a waitress qualifies as experience.
Plus I'm sure you'd also have to be trained to deal with emergencies, you never know what could possibly happen mid-flight.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by abc:)
I REALLY want to work as cabin crew. How can I get some good customer service or hospitality experience? Bearing in mind that I cannot currently afford a course in hospitality, and I have found it impossible to get any kind of job in a bar or a shop. I do have part time work at the moment, but if there was some kind of experience I could do alongside this, what would people recommend?

Thanks

I want to be cabin crew too, so competitive though :frown: it shouldn't be too hard to get a job as a waitress, so try and apply for things like that. What's your current part time job?
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
I would have thought being a waitress qualifies as experience.
Plus I'm sure you'd also have to be trained to deal with emergencies, you never know what could possibly happen mid-flight.

Original post by travelfiend
I want to be cabin crew too, so competitive though :frown: it shouldn't be too hard to get a job as a waitress, so try and apply for things like that. What's your current part time job?

At the moment I work part time as a note taker at a university. The best experience I have is as a club promoter because that included elements of sales and customer service, and the occasional working behind a bar.

When I graduated uni I tried really hard to get some kind of customer service job and was turned down time and time again due to lack of experience. I just need this kind of experience (and I am a competent person, it's not like I'm just rubbish in interviews or anything) it is just so hard to get your foot in the door! :frown: :frown:
Reply 4
Just look at some company airline's websites. Did you watch that BBC TV Show about British Airways? The recruitment process for cabin crew was intense and they set very high standards.
Original post by melondew26
Just look at some company airline's websites. Did you watch that BBC TV Show about British Airways? The recruitment process for cabin crew was intense and they set very high standards.

I know someone who has an aeronautical degree and is applying to be cabin crew for the experience and It is very intense as you said. He is going through a long recruitment process and will have to pay £700 for a training course if he gets it. He was told at some point during the interview day you might literally just have someone walk up to you tap you on the shoulder and tell you to go home. They watch everything you are doing :/
Reply 6
Original post by student2312
I know someone who has an aeronautical degree and is applying to be cabin crew for the experience and It is very intense as you said. He is going through a long recruitment process and will have to pay £700 for a training course if he gets it. He was told at some point during the interview day you might literally just have someone walk up to you tap you on the shoulder and tell you to go home. They watch everything you are doing :/

Yeah you have to really want the job as well. You should enjoy travelling, be able to endure the long journeys, being jet lagged and being away from home for long periods of time (depending on the routes given to you). People should consider these kind of changes to their lifestyle for cabin crew.
Original post by student2312

It's crazy the high expectation companies have for low skilled work.
To be fair, working as an air hostess is a very attractive career.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending