The Student Room Group

Omggggg i want to cry all my hard effort!!!!

I lost my usb and my latest and best drafts i did in school of my personal statement is gone omg i am literally panicking and my deadline in 22nd october what am i supposed to do ohh my lorddd

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sadly
I lost my usb and my latest and best drafts i did in school of my personal statement is gone omg i am literally panicking and my deadline in 22nd october what am i supposed to do ohh my lorddd

is there a backup anywhere on a desktop? is there anyway you can locate your USB? :frown:
Original post by sadly

were you using the latest version of word, sometimes if its on a hard drive it will temporarily keep previous versions?
Reply 3
Original post by CoolCavy
is there a backup anywhere on a desktop? is there anyway you can locate your USB? :frown:

My last backups are nowhere near developed enough and I have so much deadlines on the 22nd I am so upset I traced my steps but I went to town in search of the central library so it can be lost anywhere!!! I really tried hard and I invested so much time and effort only to lose it omg
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
were you using the latest version of word, sometimes if its on a hard drive it will temporarily keep previous versions?

It did autosave but it says "directory name is no valid" I don't know what that means but it won't let me access it
Reply 5
haha, I feel your pain breh. I had my english coursework and latest draft of my personal statment on it.
Reply 6
Did you send it to anyone to look at via email at all?
Original post by sadly

Sometimes you can back it up using word. Try looking everywhere for your USB. But in the meantime, chill out its only a personal statement. Surely you can remember some bits of it from the top of your head and work towards it. Tbh a personal statement isnt anything major its just to show what your like. Your grades are more imporant.

I know people who's USB went corrupt when they had their first uni assignment due in for. Thats an assesment that was due to be graded. This is a lesson learnt so you can make backups now.

Speak to your teachers about it, But in the meantime relax, take a bath its no biggie.:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Zuki

I checked and no :frown: My teacher (academic tutorial teacher) wanted it handed to him rather than his overflooded inboxe and I asked him where his was and he lost it!! He didn't even read it!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
I hope you find it soon :frown:
Original post by sadly

Can relate. Spring 2013, I've just finished weeks' worth of work on my engineering coursework -- files get corrupted, have to do the whole thing again in a week, coming to school at like 7 am every day and leaving at 5 pm or later. :/

Only got a C at the end of it too. :angry: I wonder why I bothered.
Reply 11
Original post by Sayfi
I hope you find it soon :frown:

Thank you sooo much I hope so too I'll ask my school's library and their lost and found since I spent soo much of my time there I hope for the best xx
Original post by Zuki

That would be problematic for another reason: it might come up on the anti-plagiarism tool that UCAS uses.
Reply 13
Original post by Hydeman
That would be problematic for another reason: it might come up on the anti-plagiarism tool that UCAS uses.

I meant tutors/ friends. I sent mine to several friends and my tutor and had no problems
Reply 14
Original post by Hydeman
Can relate. Spring 2013, I've just finished weeks' worth of work on my engineering coursework -- files get corrupted, have to do the whole thing again in a week, coming to school at like 7 am every day and leaving at 5 pm or later. :/

Only got a C at the end of it too. :angry: I wonder why I bothered.

:frown:
Original post by sadly
:frown:

Luckily, personal statements don't take nearly that much time. :smile: If you start again, there's no reason you couldn't get a few redrafts out of the way in a week.
Reply 16
Ask for an extension of the deadline?
Chill it's only a personal statement. 5 of mine went missing when I had coursework due and in the end it affected my overall grade.
Original post by sadly

I was in a similar position to you last year, I was panicking as well but remember the official deadline for UCAS is in Jan (I sent mine off in December and got all my replies by January) unless you're doing a science degree then get cracking on your personal statement!

And let this be a lesson to you! Always back up your work!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sadly

Your deadline is a school one. Explain what has happened and send it with your most recent draft but ask your referee to send it back for you to edit in a new final draft in a month or so before it goes to UCAS.

You have plenty of time to rewrite it before the UCAS deadline in January.
Use Google Docs next time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending