The Student Room Group

Whats this about black ink being better for memory than blue ink???

I have heard this numerous times from teachers and old people :p: ...they say always use black ink, it stays in your head more. Is this scientifically proven as i find blue looks much neater :p:

Really worried as im about to use blue ink for revision and in the exams in like 2 weeks :O

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
laughed my head off when i saw title! I use blue ink like you because it does look neater, but black being better for memory...i don't think so. use blue since you like it and your familiar with it!!!
Reply 2
I doubt the colour of your ink will have much effect on how well you do in your exams. If only it were that simple :p:
Reply 3
Actually there is probably some truth in this. Colour is very important to memory. Anyone who has researched revision techniques will tell you that. Yellow paper is particularly good also.
Reply 4
blue ink on pink paper works best for me.. :biggrin: no idea why tho. :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Yeah I've heard the yellow paper thing is good... though I think that would just look messy!
Personally I'm too much of a cynic to buy into any of this rubbish :p: but try it if you want to.
Reply 7
I'd like to believe it - but I'm a blue pen person myself.
Don't like yellow paper either!
Reply 8
Omigod...I have a friend who swears that all the smart people use black ink, so she has to use black ink too...so I laughed so hard when I saw the title of the thread.
my teacher (who is also a exam marker) said he prefers to mark exam papers in blue as black looks messy........................
i heard it was the other way round? that the blue is more colourful than black making it easier to remember.
I find that black pen looks neater (for me anyway!)

Anyway, I'd never heard of the blue / black thing, but looking at colour in terms of psychology, GREEN is meant to be the best!
I have no idea whether that is true or not....

I used to write in blue, but for some reason I have found myself turning to black ink this year..
As far as I know, it really doesn't matter. Blue isn't "more colourful" than black; it's just a different colour of ink. If all your writing is in the same colour it really won't make any difference. Use whichever colour of ink you're most comfortable with. Personally I change ink colours and pen types quite a lot, even during lessons I'll get an urge to change to blue and do so. I'm probably in a minority - it won't affect most people at all. Anyway, it depends on your writing - if it's well spaced then black is easier to read than blue (because blue is faint), if it's scrawly then black may look messier than blue.

If you really buy into all this colour coordination crap (and I'm not saying it doesn't work, just that worrying over colours to do your revision notes in is rather trivial if it's actually getting in the way of you starting), use different colours. My mechanics teacher, for example, generally uses blue for writing, black for diagrams, red for forces and green for displacements / velocities / accelerations. On the other hand, my pure maths teacher just writes and writes and writes - black biro, if you're interested.

Use whatever you find helpful, but if you don't feel particularly drawn to one ink colour at all, it probably doesn't matter. If you're worried about smudging all your ink all over the place because you've changed colour, it's probably going to do more harm than the colour change will do good.
I used black, just because i dont understand why blue is any more accepted then red or green. Black seems an obvious choice agaisnt white paper. Although for revision i used red and blue as well to make things stand out.
well actually writing in green ink makes you a god and gives you the ability to fly. true stuff cuz this website is reliable
i have heard about the blue ink makes you remember text more easily but black ink makes the work more pleasant . i'm starting yr9 soon and i don't know what color to use any one got any advise ???
I have poor memory anyway so i don't think colour makes a difference however i did somewhere before my a levels that examiners prefer and will give you a couple of bonus marks if you use black ink,
Original post by freya.sj
i have heard about the blue ink makes you remember text more easily but black ink makes the work more pleasant . i'm starting yr9 soon and i don't know what color to use any one got any advise ???

Just use whichever you prefer.

I personally prefer the aesthetic of blue ink.
Hey what I’ve heard this about blue ink

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending